Being a new mum can be challenging. Too little sleep, hardly enough “me time” to shower or dress, and responding to your baby’s cries, feeding preferences and personality as your infant develops over time. But one part of new motherhood – what it does to a woman’s body – is something that CAN be helped along, with what’s called a “Mummy Makeover” or “Yummy Mummy” Combined Plastic Surgery Procedures. The YUMMY MUMMY MAKEOVER option is a breast lift, breast augmentation or breast reduction surgery with an Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) combined. Blog originally published in June 2016, updated in May 2018.
And the Mummy Makeover is a combined surgery option our team of Melbourne Specialist Plastic Surgeons are renowned for providing to Mums of all ages and a variety of body shapes!
What’s a MUMMY MAKEOVER? Definition
- A Mummy Makeover involving cosmetic surgery typically involves a Tummy Tuck and Breast Surgery Procedure.
- They can sometimes be done as a combined surgery procedure, although not every patient will be suitable to have two major surgeries performed at once.
- You will need to allow for down time and healing and recovery; and we have special GUIDE Books to help you plan your surgery (it’s a good idea to plan your breast and tummy surgery well in advance, and to have at-home help for at least 1 to 2 weeks). Phone us for tips and Guides: (03) 8849 1444, or to schedule a non-obligation consultation with our expert Plastic Surgeons for Mummy Makeover Surgery procedures.
Breast Surgery and Tummy Tuck with Liposuction shaping procedures are the primary procedures of a “Yummy Mummy” Makeover, to help women regain their body shapes after pregnancy and breast feeding.
Is your Tummy bulging after childbirth – or are your breasts sagging in ways they didn’t before you breastfed?
If your tummy is bulging after childbirth, you may have over-stretched skin and split abdominal muscles.
- These can cause back pain, core muscle strength weakness, and urinary incontinence.
- These conditions sometimes benefit from the repair of torn abs (diastasis recti) and a fully professional TUMMY TUCK procedure (mini tummy tucks are rarely effective enough for surgical reconstruction of the post-pregnancy abdomen area and body).
Sagging breasts after breast feeding can appear droopy, overly enlarged or just look saggy and deflated.
Are your post-breast feeding breasts where they used to be, or are they drooping lower than you want them to?
You might be a candidate for a “Yummy Mummy” makeover.
Read TIPS for NEW MUMS by our female Plastic Surgeon, Dr Rebecca Wyten.
Get your post-pregnancy body shape back to where you can live with it, with a bit of surgical help from one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons in Melbourne.
Here’s what you’ll want to know if you’re wanting to use surgical options to restore a more youthful body shape or breast and nipple position.
What happens after pregnancy: Split Ab Muscles (Diastasis Recti) and sagging breast and tummy skin are very common.
The things you don’t expect when you’re expecting a baby include a body that won’t always cooperate with your exercise and eating regime
Every mum knows that having a baby is extremely rewarding. But the toll childbirth takes on your body leaves many us feeling less than our pre-pregnancy selves. If you’ve had a child or experienced significant changes in weight, you may end up with:
- Caesarean scars
- Pockets of hard-to-shift fat
- Saggy breasts from breastfeeding
- Stretch Marks
- Lost sense of body confidence or sexiness
And with the above changes to your body after having babies, you might find you are:
- Resorting to baggy clothing to hide what you no longer enjoy about your physique
- Less interested in physical intimacy
- Embarrassed to wear summer clothing or lingerie and other fashions you once loved
Visit our Downloadable Guides pages
For more information about Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery options and research in Australia.
Download our free guides or phone (03) 8849 1444 today – and ask for a no-obligation consultation.
Has pregnancy taken your body-confidence away? We can help restore the contours with a Mummy Makeover combined Breast and Tummy Tuck Surgery.
The great news is that our team of Specialist Plastic Surgeons including our Mummy Makeover Specialists in Melbourne can combine multiple procedures targeting the key areas that were affected by your pregnancy or by breast-feeding.
With combined surgery options in a Mummy Makeover cosmetic procedure, we can:
- Get you a flatter looking tummy and a more defined waistline (again)
- Restore your nipples and breast tissues to higher on the chest wall through either a breast augmentation, breast lift with or without implants, or a breast reduction procedure.
- Repair torn abs to restore your core body strength to reduce back pain and abdominal area weakness (this can even help urinary incontinence)
- Restore the vaginal skin area using vaginal laser technology (select patients only, using Mona Lisa Touch innovative laser treatments of the vaginal area)
- Reduce labia through a labiaplasty (functional repair of labia that restricts wearing comfortable clothing, shorts/summer clothing, and swimsuit wearing)
That’s why our Mummy Makeover Cosmetic Plastic Surgery procedures are so popular with Mums of many different ages.
- Some women get a Mummy Makeover surgery procedure in their late 20s or 30s; others request new breasts (via a breast augmentation, breast lift or breast reduction) or a Tummy Tuck when they are in their 40s, 50s and 60s or beyond.
- It’s typically best to wait until you are COMPLETE with your family and child-rearing, as having a child AFTER a breast surgery or tummy tuck WILL impact on the longevity of your results.
- But we know it’s difficult to wait when you have sagging tummy skin and weak abdominal muscles after they were torn in pregnancy or childbirth.
- That said, some women DO fall pregnant again after having cosmetic surgery of the breast or abdomen areas.
- These women often express greater satisfaction with their bodies even after a later pregnancy, although some will need corrective or restorative surgery to regain the contours they had before pregnancy.
Reasons for Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery for MOTHERS after having babies
- The tummy bulges, and the breasts droop or hang empty after breast feeding
- Along with post-baby weight gain, breasts that were once very large now seem VERY VERY large – and heavy and pendulous – for your overall body shape; they even end up causing skin chaffing, bra strap dig ins, and neck or back pain
- The nipples and breasts hang low on the torso or chest wall, or become misshaped
- You just don’t FEEL comfortable wearing the clothing or swimsuits or lingerie you really want to wear
- You want your body back!*
*Your body, after pregnancy, will never be identical to how it was before; plus, cosmetic surgery has risks. But there’s a lot that can be done to help you get a shape you’ll be happier to flaunt – in or out of clothing!
That’s our MUMMY MAKEOVER procedures by Melbourne’s highly respected Specialist Plastic Surgeons.
Even celebrity mums are openly praising their makeovers!
Here are 6 reasons why A “Mummy Makeover” can help restore your body to nearer your pre-baby form – and bring ‘your sexy’ back!
Reduce your stretch marks – but it doesn’t entirely get rid of them – and it doesn’t work for all patients.
Post-pregnancy stretch marks, like the ones Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett bravely shared on her Instagram, and of which Chrissy Teigen spoke, leave a lot of mums self-conscious.
The Mummy Makeover includes a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty surgery). While this does not REMOVE stretch marks it does reduce excess, sagging, over-stretched stomach skin. This means some of the stretchmarks will be removed along with the excess skin when it is excised or reduced through surgery. Having less saggy skin, and less skin, often means less stretchmarks. But don’t expect NO stretch marks – the skin will be the same after surgery, there will just be less of it in certain places; along with more defined body and waist contours.
Benefit: re-contouring your silhouette and rediscovering more flattering curves rather than bulging flabby bits. And you’ll get a flatter tummy!
Scars: Revising or Minimising Caesarean Scars
Caesarean surgery leaves behind very noticeable scarring, which prevents some women from wearing bikinis, feeling comfortable in cropped clothing or even being naked in front of their partner. A mummy makeover can sometimes address some of your C-section scars, ensuring the only thing left behind after pregnancy is your beautiful baby and your killer bod!
Reduce the dreaded pouch
Perhaps you’ve lost all the baby weight but still have that dreaded “pouch” of loose skin around your tummy? Body contouring surgery or a body lift can help you banish these lumps and bumps, restoring smoother lines and flatter stomach contours.
Restore fullness to your breasts
Breastfeeding is very important and for many Mums it feels highly rewarding. But let’s be honest – whose breasts don’t look a little deflated or saggy after breastfeeding a baby or two for a couple of years??
Breast lift surgery and augmentation combined can have your breasts looking full and perky again – just like pre-pregnancy — or even better! If you’re going to try to restore your breasts and nipple position but either felt you were smaller than you wanted (or bigger than felt comfortable) – you can augment or reduce the size of your breasts whilst getting a breast lift or enhancement!
And if Asymmetry is an issue for you (uneven breasts), our Specialist Plastic Surgeons Dr Craig Rubinstein & Dr Doug McManamny are experts at remedying severe asymmetry as well as performing other complex breast procedures including Breast Reductions, Uplift with Augmentation (a Masto-Augmentation) or a Lift on its own, without Augmentation, as well as corrective Nipple Surgery.
Firm thighs ahoy!
New mums often talk about a certain wobble factor that their bodies have after birth – cellulite and unwelcome centimeters of flesh that just won’t budge with exercise or eating habit changes. Liposculpture and liposuction are potentially efficient ways to restore svelteness and firmness to your thighs and hips post pregnancy.
Cut your recovery time down with one surgery
A Mummy Makeover combines a few procedures together in one surgery, meaning one general anaesthetic and shorter total recovery time –giving you more time to enjoy being a mum and being with baby! The American Society of Plastic Surgeons found that multiple procedures combined is a very safe way to address post-pregnancy issues surgically. Take the time to invest in yourself and your body post-pregnancy with a Yummy Mummy Makeover so that you can be the yummy mummy you were born to be!
TIMING: How do you know when it’s a good time to have a Tummy Tuck, a Breast Lift or a Breast Reduction?
The ‘Mummy Makeover’ featuring a breast lift, breast augmentation or reduction surgery – and stomach contouring (with underlying abdominal muscle repair) is increasingly popular after pregnancy. But how do you know WHEN it’s best to get it done?
Timing and your family plans
Our Specialist Plastic Surgeons affirm Breast and Tummy procedures appeal to people of all ages, but notes it’s often best left to a time period AFTER the family is complete.
Otherwise, ask us for a GUIDE or tips for planning surgery around school holidays, work leave, family support and other issues that impact when it’s best to book in your plastic surgery procedures. Remember, ask about the healing and recovery periods required.
Best Timing for Surgery: If you’re wanting to have more children, you’re usually best off to wait until your family is complete before considering Abdominoplasty and Breast Enhancement procedures.
- This is because pregnancy and breastfeeding will alter the results of both your tummy tuck or breast lift surgery.
- It may also help to know that if your Abdominal muscles were injured during childbirth, there are often insurance or medicare rebate criteria to meet for some surgeries (ask one of our Patient Care Coordinators for more information).
- Medicare or health care rebates, if they apply, may not apply to combined procedures.
Being fit and healthy is important for best results – don’t smoke, and maintain good nutrition – make sure you can remain at a stable weight – that’s when it’s a good time to explore surgery. Don’t have surgery if you’re still very overweight or have bad lifestyle habits, as it increases your complication risks.
- We know it’s challenging for many Mums to find time for themselves after having a family. And there are often weight fluctuations in the years immediately after having babies.
- Whilst many fitness-oriented Mums find that having babies changes their bodies in ways that exercise and nutrition alone cannot restore, it’s important to note that surgery is NOT a replacement for exercise and great nutrition.
- And, in fact, you’ll often get the best surgery and healing results by being healthy and eating great nutrition.
- Your healing from a surgical procedure will, however, depend on how well you are taking care of yourself in terms of exercise, weight stability and eating regimes.
CONTACT US today on to get your post-baby body to where you feel your most confident!
To learn more about the Breast, Tummy, Arm or Thigh procedures that are performed by our leading team of Plastic Surgeons in Hawthorn East, Berwick, Williamstown (Melbourne) or in Sydney in Double Bay, Edgecliff or Wentworthville, please complete a confidential enquiry form, below.
Alternatively you can arrange to speak with one of our Patient Care Coordinators by phoning (03) 8849 1444 during Clinic Hours – or just send a form and let us know when it’s best to call you.