Recovery Tips | Guidelines for Cosmetic Surgery (Australia)
Plastic Surgery and Cosmetic Surgery Recovery can be an interesting time. These surgery recovery tips may prove helpful for your initial recovery.
Tips for Surgery Recovery include popular operations such as Breast Augmentation, Breast Lift, breast reduction, tummy tuck/Abdominoplasty, Rhinoplasty/nose surgery, facelift surgery and eyelid surgery.
Medical Information and Disclaimer (Cosmetic Surgery Recovery Tips)
While plastic surgery recovery tips may be helpful for patients; it remains important to recognise:
- this information is general in nature
- these tips do NOT constitute medical advice nor do they replace any direct advice from your Surgeon
- you MUST follow your Surgeon’s instructions precisely to enable good surgery results
- ask your SURGEON for post-op guidelines
- follow your RECOVERY PACK recovery aids if given to you by your Surgeon
- remember that recovery for individual patient can vary significantly
- recovery may be impeded by risks or complications
- be sure you eat well, rest well and have healthy habits
- never smoke before or after surgery
- avoid consuming intoxicating substances
- follow good nutritional advice and post-op exercise protocols
First step to Cosmetic Surgery Recovery Guidelines and TIPS – Review the procedure and recovery Guide book (a PDF downloadable resource)
Surgery Recovery Tips – Download and read the Guide Ebook
For information about cosmetic operations and plastic surgery procedures including surgery recovery guidelines to follow after an operation:
- Browse blogs and tips from some of Australia’s top-rated Surgeons in Melbourne VIC (Australia)
- Download ebooks from our Cosmetic Surgery GUIDES list.
- Speak with a Dermal Clinician about scar management protocols
SECOND STEP: Read the top-rated Plastic Surgery blogs for Cosmetic Surgery Recovery for your procedure:
Breast Reduction Recovery Tips – Articles
Breast Augmentation and Implant Surgery Recovery Tips – Articles
Abdominoplasty Tummy Tuck Surgery Recovery Tips – Articles
Recovery from Body Contouring and Liposuction After Bariatric Surgery or Weight Loss
Recovery from Body Lift, Liposuction or Body Contouring Surgery (Skin Fold Reduction Surgery and Skin ‘tightening’ after bariatric surgery and change in weight
Recovery from Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)
Helpful Tips to Improve your Surgery Experience and Initial Recovery
Surgery Guidelines for Cosmetic Surgery recovery include helpful tips compiled from several leading Australia FRACS (Plas) Cosmetic, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons and eyelid surgery experts.
Authors: meet the Surgical Team Members and Support Team
Our team of Specialist Plastic Surgeons’ affiliations include
Emotions and postoperative anxiety are not uncommon; but fortunately they usually pass after a few days or weeks.
Recognise that recovery after surgery can be an emotional time period:
- particularly if your sleep is temporarily disturbed; and/or
- if you’re feeling sore, groggy or uncomfortable.
- many patients emerge from anaesthetic after having surgery and think – ‘what have I done?‘
- Other cosmetic surgery patients feel relieved when they realise the procedure is over AND
- that they took necessary steps to get their body, breasts, face, nose or eyelids looking closer to their aesthetic preferences.
For many patients, upsetting emotions tend to pass once the initial acute healing period has resolved discomfort, swelling, skin tightness and bruising.
Is there a way to make recovery after surgery any easier or quicker?
- The key thing to remember during recovery after cosmetic surgery is to BE PATIENT with the process.
- Plan your surgery recovery “space” and provisions – as well as helpful supports – BEFORE your operation.
- Be gentle and kind to yourself as you heal. Don’t do too much too soon or you’ll slow your recovery down.
- Wear your garments as instructed and be careful with your wound (avoid infection risks).
Cosmetic Surgery Recovery Tips from some of the world’s top 10 best blogs by our Plastic Surgeons group.
To help you know what to expect from surgery recovery experiences, we offer you several resources, guides and video resources.
Read articles on Plastic Surgery by several of Australia’s most-respected Specialist Plastic Surgeons.
- Start by BROWSING our best Cosmetic Surgery Recovery Blogs
- Read the Cosmetic Surgery & Recovery Guides – Download and Review the Guide Books BEFORE and AFTER you have a consultation with your Specialist Plastic Surgeon.
- Phone the team on 0388491444 for information sheets and Surgeon BIOS (or to help you know which Surgeon might be best for you to have an initial or second-opinion consultation with).
- Watch procedure VIDEOS of cosmetic surgery and recovery information.
- Visit with the Cosmetic Surgery scar-management team at Coco Ruby.
You can also meet us in person or speak with prior patients about their experiences by attending a monthly event in Hawthorn East (Victoria/Melbourne).
Attend a MONTHLY EVENT in Melbourne (no charge to attend) .
- Meet the presenting Plastic Surgeons and Skin Care teams that will help you have a positive experience as you venture further into your desired surgical journey – to get the changes you have long awaited.
- Hear real life stories from patients who have been there and who have passed their recovery period – they’ll tell you what it’s really like.
- Learn how we provide healing aids for surgical recovery (the ‘science and love’ pack – your post-op package).
- We are conveniently close to public transport (Auburn Station or Camberwell station) but there’s also nearby street parking (no limit after 6.30 pm).
- We are an easy ride from Melbourne CBD, regional Victoria, Kew, Balwyn, Richmond, Hawthorn, Toorak, Glenferrie, Glen Iris, Malvern, Armadale, Bayside suburbs and more.
Our events begin at 6.30 pm – find out more.
Another tip for Surgery Recovery after a Cosmetic Procedure
- Browse BEFORE and AFTER Surgery Photographs before and after surgery (Australia: Melbourne VIC, Berwick VIC and Sydney NSW)
- This can help remind you of WHY you had the surgery you long wanted, and help you get through the recovery period more easily.
- Our Patient Care Team also suggests taking a photograph (a BEFORE PHOTOGRAPH of the area(s) being treated with cosmetic surgery or plastic surgery) – and putting it up on your wall – just to remind yourself of WHY you chose your surgery procedure.
Our team of Specialist Plastic Surgeons’ affiliations include:
Accredited Australian hospitals used by our Specialist Plastic Surgeons include:
- St Vincents Hospital – Kew
- Masada Private Hospital – St Kilda
- Epworth Hospital – Hawthorn/Melbourne
- Epworth Hospital – Richmond
- Epworth Hospital – Cliveden
- St John Of God Hospital – Berwick
- The Avenue Hospital – Windsor
Unanswered Questions or want to know how to search for Plastic Surgeon or Cosmetic Surgeon Reviews (Melbourne, Australia – VIC)?
- Check out a bigger list of FAQ’s and information on the surgical process
- Attend a Monthly Patient Information Evening Event
- For more information about Pricing and Payment methods of your Surgery, please visit our page on Surgery Payments.
- You can also talk to a Patient Care Team to answer your questions from 8am-6pm Monday to Friday on (03) 8849 1444
Scientific Articles relating to Plastic Surgery and Aesthetic procedures (Cosmetic Surgery outcomes and research)
Read how SMOKING will harm your recovery and increase your risks of surgery complications after cosmetic plastic surgery.
doi: [10.1097/WON.0000000000000057] PMCID: PMC4241583
Other Resources for Patients
Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (Find specialist plastic surgeons), Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (Patient Safety Regulated by Plastic Surgery Regulation Laws), Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (Information for patients), Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency AHPRA (Register of practitioners), Health Victoria (The Department of Health and Human Services)
Want more information before scheduling a consultation with your Surgeon?
* DOWNLOAD A GUIDE about the procedure or contact us
* Book a 15 MIN CHAT with the Patient Care Team
* Attend a FREE MONTHLY INFORMATION EVENING and hear from our Team of Specialist Plastic Surgeons and past patients.
Please Contact Us using the form below to arrange a consultation with one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons or to speak with our Patient Care Team on (03) 8849 1444