Average Prices in Melbourne: How much does it cost to have cosmetic surgery in Victoria?
Also, why are there such different prices for cosmetic surgery in Australia?
- Find out average price ranges of popular cosmetic surgery procedures
- Learn which factors determine how much your surgery will actually cost
Cosmetic Surgery Prices Melbourne (cost ranges and average prices)
To gain a general understanding of the costs and spending involved in your chosen surgical procedure, follow the links below
Breast Augmentation: Cost of Breast Augmentation/Implants
Breast Reduction: Cost of Breast Reduction Surgery
Tummy Tuck: Cost of Tummy Tuck Surgery
Eyelid Surgery: Cost of Blepharoplasty and Eyelid Surgery
Rhinoplasty: Cost of Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
If you are interested in a procedure that has not been listed above and would like to know more, please phone Tel: 03 8849 1444 for information or visit our GUIDE pages for surgery planning and procedures.
Why are prices different from doctor to doctor in terms of cosmetic surgery costs?
- Major price differences for plastic cosmetic surgery procedures often reflect the type of Surgeon who is performing the operation – including skills, expertise level and qualifications
- While significant price differences may be confusing to cosmetic surgery patients at first, especially in terms of breast augmentation surgery prices, these differences typically indicate the surgery is either:
- NOT inclusive of everything needed AND/OR
- not being performed by a seasoned specialist AND/OR
- being performed using local anaesthetic methods, not a general anaesthetic
It is important to be sure you’ve chosen a genuinely qualified surgeon. Look for someone who is AHPRA-recognised as being a Specialist Plastic Surgeon rather than just a so-called ‘cosmetic doctor’ (a GP or skin disease doctor). Why? There is often a huge difference in training and ongoing education for Plastic Surgeons vs other types of doctors who enter the cosmetic surgery field.
Plastic Surgeons are typically the most qualified and/or extensively tested in surgical skills for cosmetic, plastic surgery and reconstructive procedures.
If not, you may end up surprised at how little experience your Surgeon actually has in your procedure.
If they’re not a specialist Plastic Surgeon, they will not tend to have hospital operating and admitting rights. They’ll only be able to operate in their own day surgery centres or back room (not recommended).
What’s included in your Surgery Cost Quote?
- It’s best to review in detail – and to ask – what is actually covered in your cosmetic surgery quote
- Beware low-cost pricing advertisements for cosmetic surgery – you may end up with extra out-of-pocket costs you weren’t expecting.
- Hidden expenses of non-inclusive quotes or price estimates mean you’ll pay extra for:
- recovery aids (if any available) and/or longer recovery times without Rapid Recovery support
- compression garments or special bras that are required for post-op care
- follow-up care visits
- hospital charges or operating facility fees (these should be included but advertised prices often leave this part of the cost out of the surgery price advertisement)
Why the Price of Cosmetic Surgery in Australia – varies in terms of Average Costs and Price Ranges
You may have spotted low-cost advertisements for cosmetic surgery promoting ‘breast surgery specials’ and discounted consultations, these consultations are considered ‘inducements to surgery’ and discounted surgery ‘specials’ and no-cost consultations could be argued as being in breach of Australian medical codes regulating the cosmetic surgery industry. Additionally not all surgeons who advertise are actually Plastic Surgeon Specialists, many are just General Practitioners or skin disease doctors who have not completed the 12 to 14 years of Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery training. Many take a year-long or even a weekend course in plastic surgery, and due to the lack of regulations any Australian doctor can use the title ‘cosmetic surgeon’ but only a genuine qualified plastic surgeon is able to use the Plastic Surgeon title and name.
Which factors contribute to how much surgery costs, or how much a Surgeon charges?
- experience of the Surgeon in that procedure
- formal training and qualifications
- the degree of customisation, advanced techniques and suturing, safety measures and other surgical components
- types of anaesthesia and pain management plus follow up care
- premium vs cheap brands (breast implants), drains vs no drains
- incision placement, incision healing aids and rapid-recovery protocols
- post-up recovery aids
- recovery necessities
- scar management
- healing reviews
- hospital operating privileges (top Surgeons usually have private and/or public hospital operating rights and admission rights in facilities such as St Vincent’s Private Hospital, Masada, Epworth, St Johns’ Hospital of Berwick and more)
In order to determine the best price range of surgery suitable for you and to gain an understanding of the general differences between price ranges read the following:
Low cost of Cosmetic Surgery – in Melbourne Victoria in Australia
Low-Cost Cosmetic Surgery – offered as discounts or specials in advertisements – may indicate the following:
- Usually do not involve a genuine, fully-accredited Australia hospital theatre
- May be a back room only vs St Vincent’s Private Hospital, Epworth, Masada and St John of God (Berwick).
- Usually NOT a Specialist Plastic Surgeon
- Potentially a General Practitioner or skin doctor who may have taken a year-long course but who never gained accreditation and training as a Specialist Plastic Surgeon
- NOTE: most hospitals do not allow a GP or other non-FRACS cosmetic surgeon to operate in their theatre facilities
- That’s because they are not actual Specialists and
- Because they do not meet the operating qualifications criteria in Australia hospitals
- Maybe overseas or a junior doctor rather than one holding Specialist medical and surgical qualifications monitored in Australia.
- May use less expensive low-quality breast prosthesis rather than reputable brands and highly rated breast implant types or brands, supplied by well-respected manufacturers in Australia.
- For example, an average low cost or discounted price for Breast Augmentation (Breast Implant Surgery) might be advertised as being from around $8,ooo to nearly $10,000; and may potentially involve:
- non-hospital operating conditions (clinic back room – not the best for an emergency situation as shown in ABC’s Four Corners story)
- awake anaesthetic (twilight) vs general anaesthetic
- hidden costs for all follow-up care
- limited post-op care or being charged for all post-operative care reviews
- no supply of recommended post-op garments
- no Rapid Recovery pack or healing and recovery aids
- no scar management such
- Remember, a cosmetic surgeon is not equal to a Specialist Plastic Surgeon in terms of accreditation, formal training, Medical Board and AHPRA recognition and surgical examinations.
- Suggestion: search our pages for articles Cosmetic Vs Plastic Surgeon AND learn the prices of low cost breast implants, mid-range breast augmentation and premium implant options.
Mid-range cosmetic surgery costs – average prices, cost differences
- May – or may not – involve a fully-accredited Australia Private Hospital such as St Vincent’s Private Hospital, Epworth, Masada and St John of God (Berwick).
- If not in a hospital, may use a high-tech surgical facility that meets accreditation
- Might be a clinic back room that lacks specialised equipment or sanitation monitoring
- May or may not involve a highly experienced Plastic Surgeon
- Check education and AHPRA registration, RACS accreditation and memberships
- Also check how many operations they have performed
- Review how long that Surgeon has been in practice in Australia
- Read their Plastic Surgery Google Reviews and other online social media reviews – hear what patients say
- May involve a less expensive breast implant (breast prosthesis)
- May involve a lower-cost breast implant
- Motiva breast implants are currently the most costly breast augmentation implant options in Australia, yet Motiva has been reported to offer certain advantages
- Motiva brand implants are ONLY available from certified Plastic Surgeons because manufacturers do not allow Cosmetic Doctors to purchase them because they are not FRACS (Plas)
- Mentor is also a reputable and reliable brand of breast implants in Australia
- Click here to learn the mid-range costs of Breast Augmentation or mid-rate price for a breast augmentation.
- A mid-range priced Breast Augmentation under $14,500 MAY potentially involve:
- A quality operating facility (private theatre) OR
- A genuine accredited Private Hospital in Australia
- Twilight Anesthetic OR General Anaesthetic from a qualified Hospital Anaesthetist (facility dependent, may vary for mid-range priced cosmetic surgery offers)
- May or may not include follow up care and reviews – review your cosmetic surgery price quote
- Likely to supply post-op garments (review your cosmetic surgery price quote for details)
- May or may not provide extras such as bandages
- May or may not include Rapid Recovery packages and other recovery aids
- May or may not include high-tech scar management
- Often lacks extras that premium cosmetic surgery prices and costs include in their Quotes
Premium care and customised cosmetic surgery costs. Average prices, cost differences.
- Typically involves surgery performed in a fully-accredited Australia Private Hospital (see list below).
- A highly-experienced and popular Specialist Plastic Surgeon
- The surgeon has a long-standing reputation in Australia and a local clinic that has positive online reviews
- The surgeon typically has AHPRA accreditation and recognition as a genuine FRACS (Plas) – e.g., a bonafide Specialist Plastic, Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgeon
- Surgeon tends to have current membership in ASAPS, ASPS, ISAPS and more.
- The surgeon will have performed an extensive number of the procedure over many decades (verifiable expertise)
- Online REVIEWS of the Plastic Surgeon across social media platforms report ‘highly recommended’ and 5-star patient care standards
- Scars and recovery are properly managed by the Plastic Surgeon and his or her skilled Surgical Nurses rather than Junior Surgeons or practice managers/receptionists
- TIP: review your Plastic Surgeon’s Google Reviews and other social media reviews – hear what patients say AND ask friends for a recommendation
- Recognise Cosmetic doctors are NOT equal to Plastic Surgeons in terms of training/accreditation/medical board recognition.
- May involve a higher cost, premium quality breast implant (e.g., a Motiva breast prosthesis or Mentor implants)
- Motiva breast implants are the most expensive breast augmentation implant in Australia, however, Motiva has been reported to offer certain advantages
- Motiva brand implants are ONLY available through certified Plastic Surgeons
- Manufacturers do not allow general Cosmetic Doctors or non-Plastic Surgeons to offer these premium breast implant brands
- Mentor is another highly reputable and reliable brand of breast implants in Australia and is slightly lower in cost than Motiva – both are popular with Plastic Surgeons and cosmetic surgery patients Australia
- For example, a premium Breast Augmentation can cost from $14,000 to $19,000. It may potentially involve:
- A genuine accredited Private Hospital in Australia (Melbourne hospitals listed below):
- General Anaesthetic from a skilled and fully-qualified Hospital Anaesthetist
- Customisation: includes extensive measuring and planning including 3D imaging or scientifically-inspired implant size selection
- May include a revision surgery clause or additional corrections (such as inverted nipple correction or asymmetry correction for very uneven breasts)
- Follow up: often includes follow up care and post-op surgery reviews for a longer period of time
- Initially recommended post-op garments for surgery are often provided (but check your quote for details)
- Should include a Rapid Recovery package or other recovery aids
- May also include high-tech scar management especially if the surgery is a breast lift with augmentation or a breast reduction
- Click here for the range of prices for premium breast augmentation surgery.
Discount shopping is NOT recommended for serious surgery procedures. ALL surgery is invasive, hence serious, as invasive surgery always carries risks – 2019 surgery prices.
You will typically live with your surgery results for a lifetime. So it’s simply not worth skimping on the quality of your Surgeon or your surgery experience.
Find out what happened to patients who THOUGHT they had a reputable surgeon when they fell for discounted breast augmentation in Sydney – as patients discuss in the Four Corner’s report on outcomes from low-cost cosmetic surgery (discounted specials).
Individual Surgery Procedures
Download our GUIDES so you know what to ask your SURGEON and WHY costs vary, depending on which types of surgery you request.
Visit our Downloadable Guides pages
For more information about Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery options and research in Australia.
You can also watch our Plastic Surgery VIDEOS or meet our Surgeons at an event.
Find out what’s involved with SURGERY – Get your free PDF downloadable PLANNING and PROCEDURE guides.
Is cosmetic surgery worth the price?
Video resources about cosmetic surgery prices in Australia: