Panniculectomy Surgery is for Removing excess skin and fat from the front of the Abdominal area after significant weight loss has left an unwanted ‘skin pouch.’
Dramatic weight loss can solve some health issues but create appearance or postural problems.
The problem: Excess Skin or Fat Stores in Certain Areas around the Middle or Lower Abdomen
One of the primary issues facing people who lose significant amounts of weight is that of excessively stretched skin and residual fat stores on their bodies.
If left as is, the excess skin often leads in rashes, recurring infections or other health-compromising skin problems.
Panniculectomy is a surgical procedure that helps remove excess skin and reduce the body fat left behind in the stomach area after major weight changes such as weight loss or post-pregnancy.
Where the problem of excess skin and fat stores is most common:
The most troublesome areas where skin folds and fat accumulate are the lower body, but it can exist in many locations (back, breasts, bra strap area, thighs and lower pelvic area).
Skin folds often hang over the thighs and pelvic area.
In some patients, these skin folds can extend quite low on their bodies – often covering or hanging over their genitals, around their hips and around their backs, interfering with daily activities like walking, standing and sitting.
Without surgery, the hanging folds of excess skin and fat can often result in problems such as:
- Back or neck pain problems (due to postural impacts, such as heavier abdominal weight pulling on the body’s frame)
- Skin infections or skin chafing and related rashes, ulcers or abcesses
- Skin infections or abcesses that become chronically inflamed and impact overall health
Things to consider with a Panniculectomy Procedure
- Body Lift Surgeries are increasing in frequency as obesity cures are found and as people find healthier lifestyles and lose weight.
- A panniculectomy is considered reconstructive surgery in some cases as it helps resolve some physical functional impairment.
- A panniculectomy only removes skin and fat, it does not repair abdominal muscles or internal structures.
More about Panniculectomy, Related Infections and Surgical Solutions
Panniculectomy (from pannus, the Latin word for a hanging flap of tissue) involves reduction or removal of the panniculus (essentially a skin and fat flap on the lower abdomen, which can also contain tissues/materials from an abdominal hernia).
Panniculitis: Rashes, infections or ulcers that develop in the abdominal area or pelvic folds
- A panniculectomy is different from a more involved Abdominoplasty or full tummy tuck.
- A tummy tuck tightens and repairs damaged abdominal muscles as well as removes excess skin and fat from the front of the body.
- The Panniculectomy is often removal of the flap but not internal muscle repair.
While panniculectomy can be performed on its own, it can also be combined with other abdominal surgery such as a tummy tuck.
Are you a Candidate for a Panniculectomy?
An ideal candidate for panniculectomy should have reached and been able to maintain a desirable and stable weight for at least ONE YEAR prior to the procedure.
Surgeons recommend that people who have had Lap-Band surgery or a gastric bypass should wait for at least one year before a panniculectomy – the same timeline as recommended for other abdominal and body contouring surgeries.
Our Specialist Plastic Surgeons for Panniculectomy Surgery include:
- Dr Craig Rubinstein and Dr Douglas McManamny in Hawthorn East
- Dr Richard Maxwell and Dr Geoff Barnett are Body Lift Surgery Experts for post-weight loss patients
- Dr Maxwell & Dr Barnett see patients in Hawthorn (both), Berwick (Dr Barnett) or Williamstown (Dr Maxwell)
- Our Team of Surgeons sees post-weight loss patients in Berwick and Frankston (Mornington Peninsula area of Victoria)
If you’re not sure which Specialist Plastic Surgeon to select, a Patient Care Coordinator can help answer your questions and help you decide which particular Surgeon will best suit your physique concerns, communication style, preferred procedures and overall appearance goals.
You can read about our Sydney surgeons on the Sydney Plastic Surgery pages.
Rejuvenate your Overall Appearance with Body Shaping Options
Body Surgery specialty surgeries include several types of liposuction, Tummy Tucks, Arm & Thigh Lifts, Body Lifts, excess skin removal after weight loss, and Belt Lipectomy surgery.
Our Melbourne team also helps to minimise any post-surgical scarring from your abdominal surgical incisions (e.g.Tummy Tucks and Panniculectomy procedures).
The scar is often also carefully positioned so as to be able to be hidden under the undergarment area (or bikini line for women).
We also offer Fraxel scar minimisation INCLUDED at no extra charge as part of your post-op healing care in Melbourne.
Our highly skilled Plastic Surgeons operate at accredited major hospitals in Melbourne to assist patient’s in providing optimal care.
They use only experienced Anaesthetists and a top Surgical Support Team for best practice Tummy Tuck procedures.
Making your Tummy Tuck or Panniculectomy Decision
The decision to undergo a plastic surgery procedure is a personal one.
We’re here to help you understand ALL your abdominal contouring options and answer your questions to ensure you feel confident about your decisions.
You’ll also feel more comfortable and relax about your Surgery knowing you’re in the excellent care of our leading team of Plastic Surgeons, who are devoted to precision techniques, and who have decades of expertise in getting quality surgery results.
You may need a Panniculectomy, or a Full Tummy Tuck, Lower Tummy Tuck, Upper Tummy Tuck or a Mini-Tummy Tuck
There are several different types of Abdominal procedures available to reduce excess skin. The one that’s right for you will depend on your condition, physique, presenting problems and medical and prior surgery history.
Here are some of your potential options:
- Mini Tummy Tuck – just a small wedge of your tummy skin is tightened
- Lower Tummy Tuck – your lower tummy skin is tightened and muscles are repaired
- Upper Tummy Tuck – your upper tummy skin is tightened and muscles are repaired
- Full Tummy Tuck – Full tightening and flattening of your stomach and complte repair of your underlying stomach muscles
- Belt Lipectomy
NEXT STEPS on your Surgical Journey
Visit our FAQs pages, learn more about your procedure, have a look at our photo galleries and patient reviews.
How to Book your Initial Consultation
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1400 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- A Referral from your GP or from your Specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Schedule a confidential consultation with your selected Specialist Surgeon by paying the $200 booking fee.
What to Bring to your Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- You may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
Want more information before scheduling your Surgeon consultation?
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
- Organise a phone call with Patient Coordinator (FREE)
- Attend our Regular Practice EVENTS and hear from our of Plastic Surgeons and their top support team (FREE)
- Organise a Skype call consultation with a Surgeon (available for Interstate patients)
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – call or contact us
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with one of our expert Specialist Plastic Surgeons or to speak with our Patient Care Coordinator.
Send a Confidential Enquiry form today. Or phone us during business hours on (03) 8849 1444 and ask for one of our Patient Care Coordinators (Michelle or Donna).
Payment methods and Costs for Tummy Tuck
Visit our payment and payment methods pages to learn more about your Surgery Payment Methods. Download a PAYMENT METHODS sheet by clicking here.