What’s involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery
Cosmetic or Corrective Nose Surgery – Rhinoplasty Explained
The “Nose Job” Procedure: What is a Rhinoplasty Surgery?
Whether a corrective rhinoplasty surgery or a cosmetic nose reshaping procedure, Rhinoplasty Nose Reshaping surgery is a complex surgical procedure that can help reshape, reconstruct and repair the nose. It can also help repair nose damage or breathing difficulties related to traumatic injuries to the face, nose and/or nasal structures.
- Cosmetic Rhinoplasty: procedures that can enhance the appearance of the nose by adjusting the size, shape, length or other proportions of the nose. Specific surgery may also be an option to adjust the nose tip or nostril area.
- Corrective Rhinoplasty: nose surgery which can help restore functionality to the nasal area or reduce breathing problems related to nose injuries or nasal deformities, such as repairing a deviated septum.
Nose Surgery Details (Rhinoplasty Procedure Information)
- The aim of a Rhinoplasty surgery varies according to the intended outcomes of the procedure and the patient’s aesthetic goals.
- The primary objective may be to improve nose proportions.
- For other patients, the objective is breathing related.
- A Rhinoplasty is not one surgery; rather, it involves a number of finessed surgical procedures that help your Specialist Surgeon to reshape your nose, while avoiding impinging on nasal functionality.
Primary reasons people seek Rhinoplasty Surgery to reshape their noses (the nose job procedure)
- Cosmetic Nose Surgery can help change your nose shape and balance your facial anatomy. Rhinoplasty can straighten a crooked nose, reduce a visible nose hump or improve the angle between your nose and your upper lip.
- Corrective Rhinoplasty may be required following a nose injury.
Types of Rhinoplasty procedures include:
Incision placement for Rhinoplasty Surgery will vary depending on the procedure you require; an Open Rhinoplasty is most commonly performed and the scars are often barely noticeable for most patients.
A small incision is made across the central part of the base of the nose (the columella) for an Open Rhinoplasty. For a Closed Rhinoplasty, incisions are kept within the nostrils, but this approach has limitations.
The incision lines during a Rhinoplasty are usually quite small and inconspicuous, even without makeup. Results vary and it is possible, however, that some patients’ scars may be somewhat more prominent.
Specialist Rhinoplasty Surgeons
Your Specialist Plastic Surgeon can recommend special scar minimisation strategies if required.
Our team’s top Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Melbourne include Dr Richard Sackelariou and Dr Douglas McManamny. Both are highly experienced Specialist Plastic Surgeons with FRACS and ASAPS/ISAPS or ASPS and decades of expertise in performing corrective Rhinoplasty surgery and nose reshaping procedures.
SCROLL DOWN for Before and After Rhinoplasty Surgery Results from our Specialist Plastic Surgeons
Types of Rhinoplasty Procedures
Open Rhinoplasty Procedure
A common approach to altering the shape of the nose is the ‘Open Rhinoplasty’.
- In an Open Rhinoplasty procedure, a short incision is made across the central part of the base of the nose (the columella).
- The skin of the nose is then elevated. The underlying cartilage and nasal bones can then be viewed and reshaped directly by your Specialist Plastic Surgeon.
- During the procedure, your Specialist Plastic Surgeon will use a series of small, highly specialised tools to carve and shape the underlying structures.
- In some cases, a Rhinoplasty is performed through small incisions that are kept within each nostril.
- This is often referred to as a ‘Closed Rhinoplasty’ approach. The advantage of a closed approach is that scars are typically concealed inside the nostrils.
- The disadvantage of this type of procedure is that your Surgeon is operating through a very tiny hole. This gives indirect and limited access to the complex structures inside the nose. Typically, an Open Rhinoplasty is the better option.
- Septoplasty surgery may suit patients who suffer reduced air flow OR who have trouble breathing through their nose.
- Septoplasty allows your Plastic Surgeon to correct the wall between the nostrils and the inner hard structures inside the upper part of the nose.
- Correcting a deviated septum or repairing the internal structures of the nose can have beneficial effects.
- For some individuals (but not all), septoplasty can reduce snoring.
Asian Rhinoplasty Surgery
Asian Rhinoplasty is a form of cosmetic nose reshaping that is very specific to individuals with Asian heritage. It often requires a different approach than a generic Rhinoplasty.
Asian Rhinoplasty surgery is unique in that it frequently involves nasal bridge augmentation (upper nose surgery). This helps enhance the nose contours around the eye area and upper cheek area. Hence, Asian Nose Surgery can increase the upper nose proportions to change the angle and appearance of the nasal bridge.
Asian Rhinoplasty procedures must be done with the utmost care to achieve a natural-looking outcome that doesn’t impede on the function of the nasal area.
Our Specialist Plastic Surgeons have a large clientele of patients of Asian heritage as they know the unique requirements for Asian Rhinoplasty procedures.
Revisional Rhinoplasty Procedure or “REDO” of a prior nose reshaping surgery
- Revisional nose surgery can range from a procedure to remove residual excess bone or cartilage in the nasal bridge to a more complex surgery. All Rhinoplasty procedures are highly complex; but Revision Rhinoplasty procedures are particularly challenging.
- Some Revisional Surgery may involve an extremely complicated overhaul of the entire nose, potentially involving augmentation or complex reconstruction.
- Patients who may have experienced excess tissue removal in prior Surgeries may have been left with a deformity. Revision in these cases requires an extremely experienced Plastic Surgeon with precision skills and expertise in complex procedures.
Unsure about the best nose reshaping procedure for you?
Our Specialist Plastic Surgeons located in Melbourne will be able to assess your overall facial features and your desired goals to suggest the best options for your Rhinoplasty surgery.
Please contact a Patient Care Team at Cosmetic Surgery for Women & Men today to book your consultation.
Phone (03) 8849 1444 or Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
When to consider a nose job
Am I a good candidate for rhinoplasty Surgery?
Cosmetic Rhinoplasty may be an option to help you achieve a more proportionate nose shape or size. You will need to keep your expectations realistic & fully understand the healing times and risks.
Rhinoplasty Surgery primarily appeals to individuals who are unhappy with the size, shape or appearance of parts of their nose. Patients often choose surgery because they feel self-conscious about their nose shape, nose size, nose bump or side view profile.
Corrective Rhinoplasty Surgery may be required if you suffer from breathing problems related to a deviated nasal septum, a collapsed nasal bridge or some types of sleep apnea (snoring).
To be considered a suitable candidate for Nose Surgery, you must understand and accept what Rhinoplasty can, and cannot, achieve. Whilst nose surgery may improve the appearance of your nose, surgery is unlikely to be life-changing. You should be aware that Revision requests for nose surgery are not uncommon.
Common Reasons For Wanting Rhinoplasty (Nose Surgery)
Some of the reasons you may be exploring your Rhinoplasty Surgery options, colloquially called a ‘nose job’ surgery, include:
- Dorsal hump or nose bump you want straightened
- Very prominent nose or crooked nose
- Tip of your nose doesn’t match your other features
- Feeling unhappy with the dimensions and shape of your nose (such as nose width or how your nose appears from a side-view perspective)
- Nose appears disproportionate or out of balance with facial anatomy
- Overly large, wide, narrow or small nostrils
- Wanting to improve results of a previous botched Rhinoplasty
- Wanting to repair a nose that was impacted by injury or trauma
- Experiencing difficulty breathing through your nose
- Snoring problems, frequent nasal congestion or nose trauma resulting from damaged nasal functions or deformity
Benefits of Rhinoplasty surgery
Why Should I Get a Nose Job?
Facial Harmony & Balanced Features
- The most obvious potential benefit of Rhinoplasty surgery is a reshaped, resized nose that may be more proportionate or more in balance with your other facial features.
- For individuals who had nose injuries, surgery may help return the appearance of the nose to a more pleasing shape or balanced form; however, there are often limitations.
Better Breathing & Sleep
- During a Corrective Rhinoplasty, your FRACS qualified Specialist Surgeon aims to repair the internal structures of your nose. This may improve issues that have led to breathing difficulties and MAY help reduce some forms of snoring for some patients.
- Nose surgery can also help correct or repair a deviated nasal septum, a collapsed nasal bridge and selected cases of sleep apnea. Some patients are able to breath better after corrective surgery – you might even get a better night’s sleep after you recover fully; but you need to be patient as you recover and understand the variability.
The physical improvements often achieved by Rhinoplasty Surgery may not change your life significantly, but it MAY have the potential help you to feel more confident and self-assured about your appearance. This may be helpful for some people who suffered a nasal injury and found it challenging to adjust to the injury-related changes to their nose.
Expectations Must Be Realistic
Remember that surgery CANNOT perform miracles. Your existing anatomy will influence what can & cannot be accomplished through surgery. Surgery is also a serious undertaking. There are certain risks, time frames & healing factors you’ll need to consider before proceeding.
TIP: Keep your expectations realistic AND aim to choose the right Surgeon for YOUR needs: FRACS membership plus decades of experience performing Rhinoplasty is a good place to start. DO follow ALL pre-surgery and post-surgery instructions to help optimise results.
Want a more harmonious looking nose? Want to smooth out a bump or nose hump? If you’re extremely unhappy & self-conscious about the appearance of your nose, and you understand the healing requirements and variability of outcomes from Rhinoplasty, then nose reshaping surgery MAY be a suitable surgical solution for you. Discuss your nose concerns with your Plastic Surgeon by arranging a no-obligation consultation.
Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Hurt?
Most surgery does involve discomfort or pain during the initial post-surgery healing periods. It can be difficult to predict the discomfort levels a patient will experience as there are so many variables to consider.
Discomfort after surgery is also partially subjective. Each patient has a unique perception or sensitivity to pain and discomfort. Fortunately, most pain during your healing period (particularly just following your Surgery) can be managed by precisely following your Surgeon’s recommendations and post-surgery instructions. Be sure you communicate regularly with your Surgeon’s team as you recover.
TIP: Be sure you fully understand the healing time & surgery risks associated with surgery before you proceed.
What steps can be taken to minimise pain?
Our approach to facilitating your healing & recovery is to help you get you back to your normal life as soon as possible.
Our Specialist Plastic Surgeons are dedicated to keeping you as comfortable as possible during your pre-operative sessions, your surgical procedure and your healing time following surgery. A Post-Surgery Rapid Recovery Pack is provided to patients which includes products proven to accelerate your healing. Getting good sleep can also help.
When can i return to work after rhinoplasty surgery?
The time taken to recover before returning to work or other daily activities, such as driving, may vary from patient to patient. This also depends on the type of Rhinoplasty procedure and the type of work you perform.
Many patients may find they can return to work approximately 2-3 weeks following surgery. If your work is highly physically demanding, however, it may take longer before you are able to return. If possible, allow 4 to 6 weeks of adequate healing time before resuming certain activities.
TIP: Surgery advice is individualised. Your chosen Plastic Surgeon will be able give you personalised advice on when you can return to work and other daily activities.
Will i need to stay in hospital overnight after surgery?
An overnight stay in Hospital is generally required for most Rhinoplasty procedures. This helps patients receive post-surgery monitoring and quality post-op care.
As part of an individually tailored surgical plan, your Surgeon may suggest the surgical option(s) or techniques that can help optimise your chances of getting the surgical outcomes you seek with nose surgery or corrective Rhinoplasty.
Will i need to stop smoking prior to rhinoplasty surgery?
Healing is detrimentally impacted in individuals who smoke. Patients must refrain from smoking as it decreases the oxygen that is carried in your blood to your skin to help heal your surgical incisions. Patients who smoke have delayed healing and increased wound complications.
If you are NOT YET a non-smoker, your Surgeon will advise you to stop smoking completely AT LEAST 6 weeks prior to your scheduled surgery date; otherwise you will have higher risks of complications and poor healing.
How long should i wait to return to exercise after surgery?
Our Specialist Plastic Surgeons typically advise that you should wait at least 4-5 weeks before returning to mild to strenuous forms of exercise.
However, you must advise your Surgeon before you return to ANY form of exercise or other similar activities.
It is important to work together with your Surgeon and keep them informed throughout your recovery & healing period. Working co-operatively with your Surgeon will have a positive impact on maintaining your surgical results.
What can be done to minimise any post-surgery scars?
An Open Rhinoplasty procedure typically requires a small incision to be made across the central part of the base of the nose (columella), which may result in some small but visible scarring. Incisions for a Closed Rhinoplasty, however, will only be made inside the nostrils, therefore they will not be visible.
What you do after surgery also has an impact on scar formation. Follow your post-op instructions carefully and ensure you wear your surgical tapes & splint as advised by your Surgeon. Scar Minimisation using Fraxel Laser, Dermapen or Healite II Low Level Light Therapy is available to patients when required. Be sure to talk to your chosen Surgeon about the Scar Minimisation techniques available and what level of scarring you can generally expect.
How long will i need to wear a nasal splint?
Your Surgeon will typically require you to wear a nasal splint for around 7-10 days following your Rhinoplasty procedure. This may be longer depending on your individual surgical circumstances.
Your Nasal splint will help to reduce swelling and prevent your nasal cartilage from shifting. Your splint is a vital aspect of your healing, and will help to ensure you achieve the intended results from surgery
How much does it cost for a rhinoplasty procedure?
Your selected Specialist Plastic Surgeon can offer you a price range for your surgery depending on the type of procedure, hospital and how long you are in hospital.
At your initial consultation, you will be given a detailed Quote for your chosen procedure. This will include a Specialist Surgeon’s fee, Anaesthetist fee, Surgical Assistant fee and the Hospital fees.
MEDICARE: An approximate range of out-of-pocket expense for your Nose Job surgery can be provided over the phone from a Patient Care Team – call us on (03) 8849 1444.
Do i need a referral from a GP to book a consultation?
You do NOT need to have a medical referral from a GP or Specialist to book a consultation with one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons. However we do recommend getting a referral.
Having a referral may allow you to claim a small Medicare Rebate (approximately $70) on the cost of your first consultation.
Please note: a GP referral to a Specialist Surgeon is valid for 12 months, and a Specialist referral to another Specialist has only a 3 month validity
What can I expect at my initial consultation?
At your initial appointment with your Plastic Surgeon, you will typically:
- Have your photos taken
- Have a physical examination
- See BEFORE & AFTER photos from prior patients
- Find out more about your surgical options
- Receive information about your selected surgery option(s)
- Go through possible risks and complications associated with surgery
- Find out about surgery costs and available surgery dates
- Have your questions answered; bring a friend or family member with you
BOOK a Rhinoplasty Consultation Today at one of our convenient locations across Melbourne: Hawthorn East, Williamstown or Berwick.
The Surgical Process
Before you decide on your Surgeon or proceed with Nose Surgery, there are a few important questions to consider in addition to risks, healing times & revision rates.
- Is my preferred doctor a FRACS qualified & experienced Specialist Plastic Surgeon?
- Is my nose surgery going to be performed in a fully accredited Hospital?
- Am I in good health and a non-smoker? Do I maintain a healthy lifestyle?
- Do I have realistic expectations about what nose surgery might achieve?
- Am I choosing to have surgery for the right reasons and at the right time?
- Am I able & willing to undergo an initial recovery period of approximately 4-6 weeks?
- Do I have someone (a friend, partner or relative) who can assist me during my recovery; and am I patient to wait until all the swelling goes down before I see my final results – knowing that this can take up to a year or more for some patients?
Rhinoplasty Surgical Procedure in Brief
- Medications and General Anaesthesia are administered during your Surgery.
- An Open Rhinoplasty will require a small incision across the central part of the base of the nose (columella). This type of incision allows the entire skin over the nasal cartilage to be lifted up. This allows your Surgeon to access the underlying cartilage and nasal bones, which can then be surgically adjusted or reshaped.
- A Closed Rhinoplasty requires small incisions within the nostrils, therefore resulting in no visible scarring. The Surgeon then completes the procedure through a small hole made inside the nose. Because the nasal skin is not elevated or lifted, this typically means your Surgeon may have less visual access and hence, this type of nose surgery may not suit most patients.
- After the incisions are created, your Surgeon strategically reshapes the inner bones of your nose, reducing or rearranging nasal cartilage with the aim of providing you with a more aesthetically pleasing nose OR improved function.
- After your Specialist Surgeon operates on the nose shape, size, tip, width or other aspects of your nasal structures, sutures are then used to close your incisions.
- Your Recovery & Healing period begins after Surgery. Having surgery & healing can be an emotional time; but it helps to remind yourself what to expect. Please be aware that you will need to be extremely patient as you recover from nose surgery. You are unlikely to see your surgery results for several months (up to a year or longer), due to extended healing periods involved with facial surgery.
Rest & Recovery
- The length of your recovery period will depend on many factors such as your anatomy, lifestyle choices, health, healing capacity & surgery.
- Recovery processes and healing time frames can also vary significantly from person to person. Your lifestyle and choices after surgery can definitely impact your healing and results.
- Be sure you get adequate rest, good nutrition and DO NOT SMOKE.
- The general rule, however, is that you should allow at least 4-6 weeks for initial recovery following your surgery and longer for final results.
- Scars can take time to fully mature, sometimes up to a year or more. Swelling may also take an extended period of time to fully settle.
- You need to be willing to follow the specific instructions given to you by your Surgeon, and attend all post-operative consultations.
- Be sure you wear the surgery tapes & splint as instructed and take advantage of the Rapid Recovery products provided to assist you during your healing & recovery.
- You will need to work with your Surgeon and remain patient so as to allow for adequate & proper healing time.
- It is also important to consult with your Surgeon before returning to daily activities such as driving, lifting and exercise.
Your Rapid Recovery Kit
- Our Specialist Plastic Surgeons provide a Rapid Recovery Pack that we like to call our “Science & Love” pack.
- It contains evidence-based products to help facilitate your healing, as well as nurturing products to help you relax while you recover.
- Your Rapid Recovery Pack also includes a Post Surgery Guide Book.
- This booklet contains helpful information to assist you during your healing stages after surgery; again, you must remain patient.
- Remember, good results depend on numerous factors.
- It is extremely important to follow your Surgeon’s post-surgery advice and ensure you get good nutrition & adequate rest. It is absolutely imperative that you DO NOT smoke at all.
Check out a bigger list of FAQ’s and information on the surgical process, or attend one of Cosmetic Surgery for Woman & Men Events. For more information about Pricing and Payment methods of your Rhinoplasty Surgery, please visit our Surgery Payment pages.
You can also talk to a Patient Care Team to answer your questions from 8am-6pm Monday through to Friday on (03) 8849 1444.
Choosing the right surgeon
Plastic v’s Cosmetic Surgeon
Not all surgeons have the same experience or intensive training & testing qualifications.
Be sure you learn the differences between a Specialist Plastic Surgeon and a General Surgeon, Cosmetic Surgeon or other type of Surgeon.
Important: Anyone with an MBBS Qualification (Bachelor of Medicine or Surgery) can call themselves a ‘Cosmetic Surgeon’. However, they may not have had the minimum 12 years experience and rigorous training that is required to become a Specialist Plastic Surgeon.
Qualifications, Experience and Reviews
It is helpful to research a Surgeon’s medical training and surgical qualifications, patient reviews, hospital operating rights and years of experience before choosing the Surgeon you want to perform your Rhinoplasty procedure.
Ask about the benefits of choosing a Specialist Plastic Surgeon who is accredited by a recognised association AND performs nose surgery in an accredited Hospital, rather than a ‘back room’. Look for members of FRACS, ASPS, ASAPS or ISAPS as a minimum qualification for your Plastic Surgeon.
It may also be helpful to consider the recommendations of your friends & family, as well as on-line reviews to have a better understanding of a Surgeon’s experience and previous outcomes. But remember, results are unique to each and every patient, and not all patients discuss their results online.
Getting Great Results
In today’s market, there are a variety of ‘cheap’ options when it comes to Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery procedures
Although it may be tempting to go with a cheaper option for your surgery, choosing a qualified, experienced and safety-minded Specialist who practices in Australia should always be a higher priority than the price tag. Your SAFETY is our priority.
Corrective Surgery can be extremely costly, painful and does not guarantee the results you originally wanted as not everything can be fixed. Whilst a cheaper option MIGHT look like it may help your wallet, it won’t guarantee great results. Many patients actually end up spending more than they bargained for on Corrective Surgery in an attempt to fix the mistakes of less experienced Surgeons.
So, what should I look for from a Plastic Surgeon?
- A local Specialist Plastic Surgeon, with the appropriate qualifications & recognised associations.
- A Surgeon who operates in an accredited hospital, not in the back-room of a clinic.
- Proven experience & good reviews from real patients on reputable websites or recommendations from your friends or family.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Douglas McManamny
Specialist Plastic Nose Reshaping Surgeon, why choose us?
At Cosmetic Surgery for Women and Men, we have FRACS qualified Specialist Surgeons who perform cosmetic and corrective Rhinoplasty Surgery.
Our Plastic Surgeons perform a variety of Rhinoplasty procedures including Septoplasty, Full Rhinoplasty, Asian Rhinoplasty & Revisional Rhinoplasty procedures. They can assess which procedure(s) are likely to suit your particular situation and suggest which surgical techniques may help optimise your chances of getting the results you are seeking for reshaping or refining your nose shape through Rhinoplasty procedures.
With over 25 years of assisting cosmetic surgery patients with surgical procedures to enhance the face, nose, body or breasts, our Specialist Plastic Surgeons have extensive experience and training in cosmetic and corrective Rhinoplasty procedures. They are also dedicated to post-operative care excellence to help you heal after surgery.
- Fully qualified Specialist Surgeons (FRACS).
- Decades of experience; dedicated to advanced surgical planning and safety standards.
- Operating in accredited, registered Australian Hospitals.
- Specialist Surgical Qualifications and advanced International training.
- Pre-surgery planning & follow-up consultations at our Clinics.
- Excellent post-surgery care and Rapid Recovery Packages.
- Dedicated to patient education and providing honest information to all patients, regardless of whether they decide to have Surgery.
- Scar Treatments, if needed, may be included with your surgery at our practice. We also offer low level light therapy for selected procedures.
You can BOOK a Rhinoplasty Consultation at one of our convenient locations across Melbourne: Hawthorn East, Williamstown or Berwick.
Before and After Photos of Rhinoplasty
Examples only. Results vary from patient to patient.* Patient Results from Rhinoplasty Surgery.*
Want to see more? Find more Before & After pictures here.
Your Next Steps
Phone us or send in an enquiry form via our website to book a consultation with one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons.
3 Locations: Hawthorn East, Berwick and Williamstown
Follow us on Social Media
Find us on Facebook for more information and patient reviews.
Follow us on Instagram to keep up with the latest in Plastic Surgery news.
*Disclaimer: This information is general in nature and is not intended to be medical advice nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Results depend on individual patient circumstances and results of Rhinoplasty Surgery can vary significantly from patient to patient. Planning using 3D imaging is optional and may be helpful for some patients, however, it is NOT predictive. There are also many variables involved with healing & recovery. It is important patients understand the complexity of Rhinoplasty Surgery, healing times, risks & revision rates. Consult your Specialist Plastic Surgeon in person for details and to review your specific surgery requirements, recovery, risks & approximate healing times.