What are the top 7 procedures for Mummy Makeover options after pregnancy or breast feeding takes a toll on a Mother’s body? Find out more in this brief blog about post-pregnancy Plastic Surgery, Tummy Tucks and Stretch Mark treatments.
Top 7 Mummy Makeover Procedures at our Plastic Surgery Clinic in Melbourne.
What is a Mummy Makeover (Australia), also known as a Mommy Makeover or Post-Pregnancy Makeover?
- A Mummy Makeover is NOT a single operation or event.
- Rather, based on your most pressing post-baby body concerns, your Specialist Plastic Surgeon may help recommend a number of available surgical options to help you address the body-shape or skin concerns that left you feeling uncomfortable about your body.
If you feel self-conscious about your body after having children, you’re certainly not alone.
- Pregnancy is very taxing on the body.
- Some aspects of the post-baby body can be addressed with exercise and good nutrition.
- Other post-baby body adjustments require a surgical repair, such as abdominal hernias or torn abs.
Read what procedures are most popularly requested by Patients at our Melbourne Plastic Surgery clinic in Hawthorn East.
Top 7 Mummy Makeover procedures requested at our Clinic
1. The Tummy Tuck Procedure for the Post-Baby Body or Sagging Belly Skin
The #1 Procedure we get requested for post-pregnancy bodies is the TUMMY TUCK.
- Coming in at number 1 of the Mummy Makeover options is the Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck).
The reason it’s most popular for a post-baby body is that many Mother’s find:
- their abdominal muscles have separated during pregnancy or child birth
- they may need surgical repair of an abdominal hernia
- they have sagging belly skin or stubborn fat stores that are exercise resistant
- remember, you can’t exercise skin
- if your abdominal area skin stretches too much, it sags or droops after giving birth
- sagging skin often needs surgical interventions to help you regain a smoother waistline and firmer abdominal area contours
By far, Abdominoplasty with Diastasis Recti correction is the most popular requested surgery by women who want to restore their core strength capacity and regain smoother, more feminine contours between their lower ribs and hips.
- Advanced Abdominoplasty Surgery helps reduce sagging belly skin, tightens and firms the abdominal region skin, repairs underlying structures, re-contours your belly button and – for a better result – repairs torn abdominal muscles damaged during pregnancy or child birth.
- A highly skilled Abdominoplasty Surgeon may also recommend additional body contouring options such as waistline area or pubis area liposuction for a smoother, flatter looking mid-section.
- Tummy Tucks may sometimes be combined, usually sequentially, with breast lift or breast augmentation surgery to achieve a more comprehensive Mummy Makeover for women who have both sagging belly skin AND sagging breast skin (or a lack of volume).
Tummy Tuck Surgery is NOT just for Women.
Men who have lost weight also seek out Abdominoplasty surgery or a belt lipectomy or lower body lift. Ask our team which Surgeon will suit your timing and communication style best by phoning (03) 8849 1444 or sending in an enquiry form.
More about the Mummy Makeover Abdominoplasty:
- Browse our best Tummy Tuck Plastic Surgery BLOGS or read our Tummy Tuck Surgery Procedure Page.
- Ask your Surgeon how she or he attains a flatter-stomach appearance or smoother waistline and where your scars will be and if you are eligible for a NO DRAINS Tummy Tuck procedure.
- Ask your Surgeon if they add in liposuction for enhanced shaping (if required) and where your navel will be relocated to (an added benefit to a Tummy Tuck surgery is that the appearance of the navel area may also be improved during the Tummy Tuck procedure).
- Find out about the post-surgery support garments you’ll need to wear 24/7 for up to 12 weeks OR as advised.
- Our Melbourne team also offers scar management strategies to minimise post-surgery scar visibility.
Phone us on (03) 8849 1444 to request your FREE Guides for Tummy Tuck Surgery planning and recovery.
Our Tummy Tuck Surgery experts in Melbourne include Dr Craig Rubinstein, Dr Douglas McManamny, Dr Rebecca Wyten, Dr Geoff Barnett and Dr Richard Maxwell.
2. Breast Augmentation Surgery
The #2 Mummy Makeover Procedure we get asked about at our clinic is typically a BREAST procedure, often a Breast Augmentation or a Breast Lift.
- Coming in at number 2 of the Mummy Makeover options is the Breast Augmentation procedure using breast implants by Motiva or Mentor.
- Sometimes the breast enhancement request will include the need for a Breast Lift PLUS an augmentation, known as the Mastopexy-Augmentation.
- Fat grafting to breasts may also be an option for selected patients, but only small volume increases are typically available using this method.
- By far, the most commonly requested breast augmentations employ silicone implants by Motiva or Mentor.
We have several breast augmentation surgery experts and 3D imaging available to help you choose the size and shape of your breast implants to gain the cleavage and volume you’re wanting from an breast enlargement procedure.
Our Melbourne Breast Augmentation team are also experts in helping patients choose between Motiva implants or Mentor implants. They also help patients choose between round vs teardrop implants, and to ascertain which incision approach and breast implant placement option will suit your skin and surgery goals the best.
Phone (03) 8849 1444 to ask about our Breast Augmentation experts – or if you’re considering a large breast implant (the glamorous looking breast augmentation for a bigger size boost, click here) OR read more about the “mini boob job:” breast augmentation using smaller breast implants.
TIP for Breast Implants After Pregnancy:
Many MUMS opt for a one to two bra cup sizes larger breast augmentation. But it really depends on personal preferences, existing breast tissues, skin condition and elasticity, and your lifestyle including exercise comfort as to how much volume to add to your breasts after having children).
You can also ask for Dr Sackelariou’s removal or replacement of breast implants (or a breast lift) if you want to change your size or reduce your implants after having babies.
3. Breast Lift Surgery (with or without Augmentation using Breast Implants)
The #3 Mummy Makeover Procedure our Melbourne Plastic Surgery experts get asked about is typically a BREAST LIFT (The Mastopexy) Option. This may involve additional breast augmentation as well as a uplift (see the #4 most requested procedure with is a combined augmentation breast lift).
Our Breast Lift Surgeons include Dr Richard Sackelariou (who is available in Melbourne as well as Sydney), Dr Craig Rubinstein (Melbourne), Dr Douglas McManamny (Melbourne), Dr Geoff Barnett (Melbourne) and Dr Rebecca Wyten (Berwick and Melbourne).
- Coming in at number 3 of the Mummy Makeover options is the Breast Augmentation procedure using breast implants by Motiva or Mentor.
- Breast surgery is performed in Melbourne private hospitals by our experts in Breast Augmentation options.
- Dr Rebecca Wyten also performs breast augmentation procedures In Berwick.
- Fat grafting to breasts may also be available for select patients; but only small increases are typically available using this method.
- By far, the most commonly requested augmentation surgery for breast enlargement is via breast implants and we use quality brand Motiva or Mentor breast prosthesis.
4. Breast Reduction
The 4th most popular Mummy Makeover Procedure requested at our Melbourne Plastic Surgery offices is a Reduction Mammoplasty or Breast Reduction Surgery. And it’s not just new Mums who need a breast reduction – women who have never had children may also seek a breast reduction at any age over 18, to reduce back, neck and shoulder pain.
- Breast Reduction helps women be able to move more freely, buy better fitting bras and exercise more comfortably.
- It has added benefits of reducing skin irritations, bra strap indents, and back/neck or shoulder pain caused by carrying heavy, pendulous breasts.
- Click here to read a blogs on Breast Reduction Surgery.
- Find out what no scar or liposuction-only breast reduction surgery really means and why it rarely suits all patients.
- Order your FREE copy of the Guide To Breast Reduction Surgery Planning and Recovery.
- Phone (03) 8849 1444 and request a FREE Breast Surgery GUIDE to be emailed to you.
5. Liposuction is a popular option for Mummy Makeovers in our Melbourne Clinic
The #5th most popular Mummy Makeover Procedure requested at our Plastic Surgery Clinic is LIPOSUCTION.
- Liposuction on its own may not suit most patients, because most people who have exercise-resistant fat stores after pregnancy also have redundant skin folds and sagging skin.
- But for some patients, having liposuction in certain areas – thighs, abdominal area of buttocks – can help reshape the contours of the body to a more desired shape or smoothness.
6. Skin Pigmentation, Scar and Stretch Mark Treatments
The #6th most popular Mummy Makeover Procedures at our Melbourne location include Stretch Mark treatments or scar reduction after a C-Section, along with treatments for Melasma.
- Pregnancy isn’t very friendly to your skin – and you can end up with stretch marks, pigmentation changes and even the pregnancy mask (Melasma).
- Stretch marks after pregnancy are notoriously difficult to treat effectively.
- But some skin treatments such as DOT Therapy, Fraxel, and SkinPen or DermaPen micro-needling – or other laser treatments – may help reduce your C-Section scars and reduce the visibility of some of your stretch marks.
- You will, however, still have stretch marks. But they may seem less bothersome after certain treatments including skin reduction.
Stretch mark treatment tips after pregnancy:
A Tummy Tuck is NOT intended to reduce your belly-area stretch marks. But when your Surgeon reduces the amount of residual skin in the abdominal area, some of the skin that has stretch marks on it is reduced. So they might appear less visible for some patients after an Abdominoplasty procedure (but not all). However, there are some oils, skin treatments and lasers that may reduce the visibility of some pregnancy-related scarring.
Phone Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing on (03) 8849 1444 if your scars are a concern for you; or if you ended up with Melasma facial pigmentation patterns.
It’s important to be realistic about what post-baby body or skin treatments can – and cannot – accomplish – in terms of post-pregnancy stretch marks and C-Section Scars.
- See the Coco Ruby Skin Care & Anti-Ageing Team for suggestions on managing and preventing stretch marks – visit www.cocorubyskin.com.au.
- Dermamalen facial masks (a form of skin peel for Melasma pigmentation concerns) may also help reduce your facial pigmentation concerns that appear after pregnancy-related hormonal changes and/or sun exposure over a lifetime.
7. Vaginal Laser Treatments
Coming in at #7 on the popular Mummy Makeover Procedures in Melbourne at our Clinic are Mona Lisa Touch Vaginal Laser Treatments.
- Vaginal lasers can help improve your vaginal canal skin or reduce painful sex.
- They can also help slightly tighten the skin in that area including the inner labia skin if you request treatment for that area of the body.
- Rejuvenating the vaginal canal area tissues using laser treatments can help these tissues become thicker and feel more firm.
- The treatment can also improve or restore more vaginal lubrication processes.
- These benefits can contribute to more enjoyment of sexual intercourse and help reduce incidents of painful sex (dyspareunia).
- Vaginal Laser treatments can also improve mild urinary incontinence or stress incontinence that is common after having children.
- A series of 3 treatments or more are required for most patients to see the best effects from this type of light-based vaginal rejuvenation technology.
Feeling deflated, saggy or baggy after having babies? Want to know your Mummy Makeover options or tips for getting your body ‘back’ after having children?
We can help you understand what corrective Plastic Surgery, Cosmetic Breast Surgery or vaginal laser treatments CAN and CANNOT do to help “restore” your body after having babies.
For more information on the TOP most requested MUMMY MAKEOVER Surgery procedures & Skin Care options, phone our offices today and speak with a Patient Care Coordinator on (03) 8849 1444.
Or send an enquiry form, below.
We can provide helpful information, answer preliminary questions, tell you more about our FREE monthly events, and suggest which type of consultation you might benefit from attending based on your current post-baby body or breast area concerns.
Need a new skin care system to treat your post-baby skin concerns? NEW online Skin Care & Makeup Shop at Coco Ruby.
DOWNLOAD our Cosmetic Surgery Guide e-books for more information.
- Check out a bigger list of FAQ’s and information on the surgical process
- Attend a Monthly Patient Information Evening Event
- For more information about Pricing and Payment methods of your Surgery, please visit our page on Surgery Payments.
- You can also talk to a Patient Care Team to answer your questions from 8am-6pm Monday to Friday on (03) 8849 1444