Male Breast Reduction (Surgery to remedy saggy, droopy or puffy male breast tissues).
Breast Reduction Surgery for men (Gynaecomastia) can help you get a flatter, firmer looking chest.
Gynaecomastia is common in Australia, and more men are seeking male breast reduction surgery to get a flatter, more masculine looking upper body. Are you embarrassed by your “man boobs”? The often dreaded “man boobs” condition is related to over-developed or enlarged, fatty breast tissues in men. It affects a number of men at different stages of their lifetimes, either first appearing during adolescence or in their 30’s, 40’s or 50’s with related weight gain or hormonal fluctuations that leave them with a more ‘feminine’ chest appearance. Male Breast Reduction surgery is often the answer for male breasts that protrude or look enlarged to the point the individual feels uncomfortable. If your male breasts look more like ‘moobs’ – man boobs that visibly protrude through clothing – consider a Male Breast Reduction Procedure.
Why do Men sometimes want Male Breast Reduction Surgery (Plastic Surgery or Liposuction to flatten the chest area)?
Many men have “man boobs” or enlarged breast tissues, and many who do are embarrassed by them or try to cover them with clothing. If this is you, you’re likely sick or tired of having ‘man boobs’ and want to explore your male breast reduction options.
- Sometimes called moobs, the condition of Gynecomastia leaves males with enlarged or protruding breasts (the condition is also spelled Gynaecomastia)
- Undesired male breast protrusions can be a disturbing condition for many males, particularly in their teenage years when body image and self-confidence are at their most fragile points of development
- Older men who have suffered weight changes or hormonal deficiencies may also find they have larger male breasts than they wish they did – many men over 40 or 50 complain about their ‘man boobs’ or ‘moobs’ and feel self-conscious about them, which can also impact intimacy
- Having enlarged male breasts also tends to impact what a man feels comfortable in wearing, clothing wise as well as at the gym or surfing or swimming
- Our Male Breast Reduction specialist Plastic Surgeons see primarily two age groups seeking treatment for ‘male boobs’:
- males in their teenage years
- men in their late forties or early-to-late fifties who want help in restoring the lost chest firmness in their breast region
Gynecomastia or enlarged “male breasts” is often linked with emotional and social discomfort. Having a breast appearance that leaves a man feeling very self-conscious about his body can also significantly impair a man’s self-confidence and clothing choices.
Some males may even avoid certain physical activities such as going to the gym, participating in sports or swimming at the beach. Some even avoid relationships and physical intimacy — simply because they feel they want to hide their chest area as they are embarrassed by their protruding male breast tissues.
What causes man boobs or protruding male breasts that lead some men to consider Breast Reduction Surgery for a flatter looking chest?
The condition of protruding breast tissue on males can be the result of:
- hormonal changes that often occur with adolescence
- genetics (ethnicity or abnormality)
- obesity and weight fluctuation
- increased levels of estrogen
- decreased or lacking testosterone
- chronic kidney or liver disease
- HIV infection
- Chronic illnesses
- Over-use of certain drugs (like cannabis/marijuana, Anabolic steroids or alcohol)
Gynecomastia (Male Breasts that are enlarged) is characterized by:
- Excess localized fat
- Excess glandular tissue development
- Sometimes excess breast skin
- Can be present in one breast (Unilaterally) or both breasts (bilaterally)
- Is often more noticeable in people who are carrying excess weight, but protruding breast tissue can occur even in otherwise-slim and fit individuals
If you have excess fat and skin of the breast, or have concerns about the size and shape of your nipple-areolar complex, you may feel the condition has left you with a feminizing effect of your chest appearance.
Surgery can help reduce the appearance of Man Boobs (Moobs) and protruding breast tissue (Gynaecomastia)
There are several available techniques to help overcome the condition of excess or protruding male breast tissue.
Many male patients have been very happy with the results of combination liposuction procedures along with direct excision of any sub-areolar glandular elements, with or without areolar reduction, to help them achieve a more-masculine looking chest and reduce their enlarged male breasts.
Want to end your “man-boobs” body embarrassment and feel freer to wear slimmer-fitting clothing on top?
Our leading Melbourne Plastic Surgeons can help!*
Our Plastic Surgeons operate at Accredited Major Hospitals in Australia, using only experienced Anaesthetists and a top team of Surgical Support staff. Choose our leading Specialists for patient care excellence and surgical expertise.
All enquiries are confidential.
*Disclaimer: Individual results can vary significantly from patient to patient.
Also, all surgery has risks, and your Surgeon will discuss these during your consultation. You can also read more under our FAQ pages.
Complimentary Procedures for Men who want to improve or harmonise their appearance
Please ask your Plastic Surgeon (or a patient care advisor) about the procedures you are considering, as some procedures may be combined in one session – – it will vary depending on the procedures you are wanting, your medical history and your Surgeon’s assessment of what will get you the best results and healing optimisation.
Next steps for reducing your MOOBS (man boobs) – Male Breast Reduction Surgery Consultations
Book now to have a Confidential Consultation with one of our leading Plastic Surgeons for men by calling (03) 8849 1444 (Hawthorn and Berwick Clinics).
NEXT STEPS on your Surgical Journey to a Flatter-Looking Chest
Visit our FAQ pages, learn more about your procedure, and arrange to come to our clinic to view BEFORE & AFTER photo galleries or to hear about patient experience stories.
How to Book your Initial Consultation for Surgery for Gynaecomastia
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1444 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the $200 consultation fee
What to Bring to your Surgeon Consultation
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- You may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
Want more information before scheduling your Surgeon consultation?
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
- Organise a phone call with Patient Advisor (FREE)
- Attend our Regular Practice Events and hear from our Specialist Surgeons and their top support team (FREE)
- Organise a Skype call consultation with a Surgeon (available for Interstate patients)
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – call or contact us
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.