Hand Surgery by Melbourne’s Specialists Plastic Surgeons
Your choice of Melbourne’s highly experienced Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeons for hand surgery including complex hand reconstruction procedures.
Our team’s best Plastic Surgeons for hand surgery are Dr Richard Maxwell, Dr Geoff Barnett and Our Specialist Team of Surgeons.
Our Specialist Plastic Surgeons for Hand Surgery and hand operations operate at accredited major hospitals in Melbourne. They use experienced Anaesthetists and a top team of surgical support staff.
Some minor hand surgery procedures can be performed under local Anaesthetic in our Hawthorn East (Melbourne) or Berwick Clinics or in the Williamstown rooms.
Our Specialist Plastic Surgeons for Hand Repair and Corrective Hand Surgery (Hand Surgery)
Dr Richard Maxwell – Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon for Hand Surgery
Dr Richard Maxwell has over 25 years of experience in performing hand surgery. His specialty focus on hand surgery includes:
- Carpal Tunnel Release (CTR) including endoscopic or keyhole procedures
- Dupuytren’s surgery
- Trigger Finger Release
- Tendon repair for ruptures
- Ganglion Removal including tendon sheath ganglion surgery
- Mucous Cyst excision
- Mallet finger repair
- “Skier’s Thumb” repair
- Boutonniere Deformity Repair
- De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis and other Tenosynovitis Surgery
- Tumour excision (Lipomas, inclusion cysts, Giant Cell Tumours of the tendon sheath)
Dr Geoff Barnett – Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon
Dr Geoff Barnett has over 25 years of extensive experience in performing hand surgery. He offers:
- Surgery for Dupuytren’s Contracture
- Carpel Tunnel Release (CTR)
- Removal of Ganglions
- Hand Tendon Repairs
- Soft Tissue Repairs of the Hand
- Hand Bone Fractures
Our Specialist Team of Surgeons – Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon
Berwick and Frankston Specialist Plastic Surgeon, Our Specialist Team of Surgeons, also specialises in hand surgery and tendon repair.
He focuses on the surgical treatment of:
- Carpel Tunnel Syndrome
- Dupuytren’s Contracture
- Other hand repair surgeries
About Dupuytren’s Contracture or Dupuytren’s Disease
- Dupuytren’s contracture is a shortening and thickening of tissue in the palm causing clawed fingers being pulled back towards the palm
- The cause of Dupuytren’s contracture is presently unknown
- Risk factors include ageing, being of Celtic and Scandinavian origin and conditions such as epilepsy, diabetes and alcoholism
- Treatment options include surgery and corticosteroid injections
About Carpel Tunnel Syndrome
Surgery for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is considered only when:
- Symptoms haven’t improved many months of nonsurgical treatment for symptoms however, nerve damage would make surgery more urgent
- You have severe symptoms restricting normal daily activities
- You have persistent loss of feeling or coordination in the hand or fingers
- You have loss of strength in your thumb
- You can’t sleep because of pain in the hand or wrist
- You have damage to the median nerve (demonstrated by nerve test results and loss of hand, thumb, or finger function) or have a risk of damage to the nerve
NOTE: Urgent appointments for sudden and acute injuries should be made directly by phoning the Clinic on (03) 8849 1444 and asking for an URGENT hand surgery appointment.
NEXT STEPS on your Surgical Journey for Hand Surgery
If you require more information regarding these hand surgery procedures, please contact us and we can give you more information regarding your procedure and Medicare/Worker’s Compensation rebates. Please contact us or call us at (03) 8849 1444 to schedule a consultation.
How to Book your Initial Consultation
- Email us or Call us o arrange your Surgeon Consultation (if an urgent appointment needed, be sure to let us know)
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral however for any medicare rebate qualifications a GP Referral to one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons is required
- Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the $200 consultation deposit fee
What to Bring to your Surgeon Consultation for Hand Surgery
- If you have radiology or other imaging files or prior hand surgery information, please bring these with you
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
Hand Surgery: want more information before scheduling your Plastic Surgery/Hand Surgery consultation?
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
- Organise a phone call with Patient Coordinator (FREE)
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with one of our Specialist Surgeons or to arrange to speak with our Patient Care Coordinator.