Will you need to get an MRI before breast implant surgery or other Breast Augmentation procedures? Here’s a general GUIDE to getting an MRI before your Breast Procedure.
Patients Who May Need An MRI Before Having Breast Implants or other Corrective or Reconstructive Breast Surgery
- Patients who are scheduling surgery to Remove or Replace their Breast Implants
- Patients with Breast Asymmetry (uneven breast size)
- Breast Surgery performed elsewhere and where the implant size and type is unknown
- Patients with possible breast implant rupture including silent rupture
Reasons you may need an MRI scan before having Breast Surgery
- To check for existing breast implant integrity – to investigate the capsule/fibrous tissues
- To evaluate a suspected breast implant rupture (MRI is better than a CT Scan or Ultrasound for detecting and assessing implant ruptures)
- To assess Breast Asymmetry and Uneven Breast Proportions (Volumetric differences between the two breasts before you have Augmentation Surgery or Implant revisions)
- Determine the breast FAT TO GLAND Ratios (this informs the Liposuction OR fat grafting strategy for better breast shaping)
- Discover accurate Breast Volumes rather than estimates
- To check for complications such as a Haematoma or Seroma that might have developed after surgery
- Post-op for a Breast Augmentation about the 10 year check-up mark (although some women may choose to have them more regularly, such as every 2 to 3 years)
An MRI scan may also be indicated to evaluate Abdominal Pain after a Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty procedure.
About getting an MRI Scan of the breasts
- You must have NO METAL in your body to undergo an MRI – be sure you alert your Clinician to any suspected metals in your body and all prior surgery experiences
- Scheduling an MRI is recommended for between Day 5 and Day 15 of your menstrual cycle
- Some people find MRI™s a bit noisy or potentially claustrophobic, but modern rooms are very comfortable and large; plus the MRI procedure often takes less than 30 minutes – let your Clinician know if you’re concerned
- Contrast may be used. This means an injection may be given, with dye, to help provide a more accurate MRI reading
- You’ll usually be given a private room to change into a gown, and have your scan in a hospital gown (usually open at the back, not the front)
- You’ll typically be in and out of the MRI scan within 90 minutes max, and sometimes as little as 30 to 60 minutes – it all depends on how tightly the MRI clinic runs to it’s appointment schedule.
- It’s best to allow 90 minutes or more – just in case it takes longer.
Prices: How much does an MRI scan cost in Melbourne (MRI of the breast area)
- The price range of getting an MRI in Melbourne is around $400 to $650 out of pocket cost(s)
- For some patients, Medicare Rebates or health fund cost contributions may be available for an MRI scan
- Planning ahead is best. You can call around and find out who has the best prices OR who can get you in at a time frame that you need to proceed with surgery.
How to get an MRI if you’ve been recommended to get one before your breast augmentation/breast implant procedures.
- You need a specific referral from your Plastic Surgeon
- Book in with an MRI provider and attend your appointment
- Allow about 1 hour to 90 minutes as some MRI and radiology clinics can have schedule changes
- The report will usually be ready to pick up in a day or two (or delivered to your Surgeon)
- They will sometimes give your images directly to you to take to your next appointment with your Surgeon. It can vary – ask when you book in.
- Be sure you give the MRI clinic the full contact details, including your Surgeon’s full name, provider ID, FAX NUMBER and EMAIL and POSTAL ADDRESS, where you need the MRI scan report to go to.
- If you DO get your images, be sure to take them with you to your next Surgeon’s appointment.
MRI Scan Clinics – Recommended Radiology & MRI Scan Providers (Melbourne)
|FMIG – Future Medical Imaging Group – Anthony Taranto|
|Bridge Rd Imaging (Assoc Prof Richard Sullivan)|
SUBURBAN VICTORIA – MRI SCAN & RADIOLOGY CLINIC LOCATIONS
|Breast Imaging Victoria East Melbourne – Mammogram|
|Breast Screen – Mammogram|
|Cabrini Medical imaging|
|MIVIR – Dr John Vratzis|
|Healthcare imaging Services – 32 locations|
|High Street Medical and Dental – Preston|
|I-RAD Digital Sunshine – Ultrasound|
|Lake Imaging North Melb, Sunbury, Caroline Springs|
|Masada Hospital, Balaclava|
|MIA Doncaster and other locations|
|St Lukes Hospital imaging Centre|
|St Vincents Private Radiology – Fitzroy|
|Western Health Radiology â€“ St Albans|
Regional & Interstate MRI SCAN/RADIOLOGY Provider Locations
- Bairnsdale Hospital Imaging
- Bendigo Hospital
- Geelong Medical Imaging
- Latrobe Regional Hospital
- Marina Radiology
- Regional imaging Albury
- Darwin Medical Imaging
- Armidale Radiology NSW
Breast Ultrasound scans are also increasing in use as a clinical assessment tool for breast implant assessments.
Visit our Downloadable Guides pages
For more information about Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery options and research in Australia.
Download our free guides or phone (03) 8849 1444 today – and ask for a no-obligation consultation.
Sources/further reading about increased Ultrasound requests for breast implant imaging and rupture detection:
Author: E Swanson – 2018