CAREER NEWS & GUIDE to a Career in the Aesthetic & Cosmetic Surgery Industry
© All rights reserved. www.plasticsurgeons.com.au. Last updated: 30th August 2017.
The Aesthetics Industry is a fast growing sector for physical self-improvement, but it may not suit everyone.
As one of the fastest growing Practices in Australia, we have had hundreds of nurses, medical students and prior patients keen to apply for our cosmetic & plastic surgery practice and patient care roles. The roles range from Patient Advisors, Surgery & Practice Nurses, Patient Care Liaisons (our phone team) and the Customer Welcoming Team at Reception.
But not everyone is suited for these rewarding but demanding roles. They require a commitment to excellence and a dedication to providing stellar service to patients as they move through their journey from exploring a procedure to having a surgery performed to healing and recovery and their follow up appointments. So if YOU think you’d like to work with our TOP Melbourne Surgeons and Skin Care & Injecting teams, we welcome your application via SEEK. Just search for our job openings on SEEK or send your CV to express your interest – just email Dave or Dee at the email addresses listed below (however, APPLICATIONS are only accepted via SEEK).
What You’ll NEED to have to SUCCEED in a Career is Cosmetic Medicine or Plastic Surgery & Skin Care
- To succeed in the field of aesthetics, you have to be highly dedicated to working with cosmetic patients.
- You’ll also need to have a strong interest in appearance and have a professional, caring communication style.
- It is often a demanding yet rewarding job role that requires dedication and commitment to professional growth and patient care excellence.
Please note: An Aesthetics Clinic role will NOT tend to suit individuals who prefer working dedicated hours or shifts, such as are often found in Public Hospital settings.
Because our Clinic focuses on achieving patient care excellence, some flexibility in your schedule will be required.
We also hold regularly events for patients – these are fun and informative and a good change for our team to answer questions and let new patients get to know our Surgeons and Team Members.
Interested? PLEASE VISIT OUR CAREERS PAGE FOR CURRENT JOB OPENINGS IN AESTHETIC MEDICINE & SKIN CARE.
Pathways to Working for Cosmetic Surgery Clinics or Skin Care Clinics
Are you interested in a career in the Aesthetic Medicine, Cosmetic Surgery, Cosmetic Injections, Plastic Surgery or Skin Care Industry?
Here are some workplaces that can be a pathway to your professional career development.
Beauticians – Beauty treatments or Dermatology Interests or Medical Clinic Experience
- DERMAL THERAPY & DERMATOLOGISTS – Skin Treatments and Laser Work
- SKIN CANCER CLINICS – Skin rejuvenation and skin cancer removal
- General Practitioner Offices that also handle Skin Cancer treatments or Investigations
- COSMETIC DENTISTS – Aesthetics and Smile rejuvenation
- AESTHETIC GPs – GPs interested in Aesthetic work – Lasers and Injectables
- COSMETIC SURGERY – GPs that have progressed to basic cosmetic surgery operations (without Specialist RACS training)
Background working with other Specialists such as ENT Surgeons or Bariatric Surgeons
- ENT SURGEONS that are performing cosmetic procedures
- PLASTIC SURGEON PRACTICES (Members of ASPS & ASAPS)
KEY Criteria for Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery & Skin Care Career Roles
What we look for:
We are always looking for friendly, hard working professionals that meet our four KEY criteria.
- Solid knowledge of and interest in Cosmetic Procedures and Plastic Surgery.
Read our website https://plasticsurgeons.com.au/ and blog www.plasticsurgeons.com.au/blog for more details. Or visit the website of ASAPS (USA) www.smartbeautyguide.com for more information on the industry and what plastic surgery and non-surgical cosmetic treatments can help patients to achieve.
There are a number of useful books on the Plastic Surgery & Cosmetic Services Industry that you could read.
Knowledge of a Practice Management System (PMS) is helpful for a career in the Aesthetic Industry.
The PMS is the heart of any practice.
- It is our patient database, our Clinic diary, and our financial and reporting system.
- Our PMS is called Genie, but most PMS are similar in nature.
- You can find a pdf copy of the manual here https://www5.geniesolutions.com.au/manual/Genie_Manual.pdf.
- You would also likely benefit from watching Genie Medical System training Videos online.
- This can help ensure that PSM software is something you’ll be able to master if you are selected for a role at one of our Clinics.
Proven Communication Skills and former Sales Experience
You need to know how to explain cosmetic procedures and promote specialist services.
This includes good communication skills to help explain the benefits of various procedures to prospective Patients.
Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery and cosmetic injections and skin care services operate in a competitive field.
Our growing team prides ourselves on offering patient care excellence well beyond the standard of smaller groups or sole practitioners.
In particular, this requires patient education and active listening to enable a prospective client to get a sense of who we are and what we do.
Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Procedures are promoted using numerous skills including influential and empathetic communication skills.
- This includes other people skills such as rapport building, empathy, appreciative questioning and high level listening skills.
- You’ll need the skills to ascertain what is truly important to each and every individual patient who contacts us or steps into our offices.
- It includes skills such as identifying and overcoming unrealistic fears about surgery and proactively negotiating scheduling availability when a patient is interested in a procedure.
- You need to be calm and help reassure patients about any fears or concerns they have, using extensive knowledge of procedures, typical recovery times and healing aids such as Healite II or Rapid Recovery Packs.
Most people take a while to decide whether or not they’ll pursue surgery, so you’ll also need to be proactive in:
- making follow up calls
- answering numerous questions and alleviating unreasonable fears
- helping us to host our public events and patient information nights
There are many communications and sales influence books that may help with these skills, including several books that may be useful for patient consulting for cosmetic surgery.
Several highly rated books include:
- How to connect with anyone in less than 90 seconds by Nicholas Boothman
- The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino
- Your Aesthetic Practice: What Your Patients are Saying by Catherine Maley
Deliver a High Level of Patient Care
Aesthetic patients are NOT the same as regular Healthcare patients – the choice to have cosmetic surgery is generally an optional one. It can also be more expensive than some patients anticipate. Hence, many patients take time to decide, whilst investigating many options, including the dangerous option of going overseas for surgery with an unknown practitioners who is not FRACS qualified as a Specialist Surgeon.
Aesthetic patients also expect a higher standard of care, respect and confidentiality from their Clinicians and Surgeons.
This often requires:
- Building a longer term relationship
- Delivering an awesome Patient Experience
- Developing empathy with aesthetic patients and reassuring them
- Developing a ongoing patient plan and procedure scheduling
- A friendly attitude to post-op support, wound care and changing dressings
- Managing any potential complications
Jobs in Medicine, Plastic or Cosmetic Surgery & Skin Care/Beauty
Still interested in a career in the Aesthetics Industry and want to submit your C.V. for consideration for our Cosmetic Injections, Plastic Surgery and Skin Care Teams?
Read more about our JOB OPENINGS and our Applicant TIPS sheet before applying for a role with our leading Melbourne Surgeons & Skin Care Teams.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
IF YOU ARE SELECTED FOR A ROLE WITH OUR SPECIALIST TEAMS, WE CAN HELP TRAIN YOU IN CLINICAL PROTOCOLS AND PATIENT CARE EXCELLENCE
- If you meet the four criteria above and show potential – we can train you to learn all the many areas of the practice before stepping into the role as a Patient Coordinator or Practice Nurse.
- If selected, you’ll also be working in a beautiful environment helping individuals with their self-improvement and appearance enhancement goals, as well as helping individuals fight the effects of skin cancers, ageing and facial or nose injuries.
- TIP: You could start with us in reception concierge team or in the inbound phone department.
WHAT WE DON’T WANT
- Clock watchers! – People looking to do the bare minimum
- People that are not positive and optimistic
- People who do not take pride in a professional appearance
- Nurses looking to be trained in Injecting Dermal Fillers and Anti-Wrinkle solutions. We only hire skilled and highly experienced injectors.
We are looking ONLY for dedicated leaders who value creating life long relationships with patients and who are dedicated to offering patient care service at premium levels.
NEXT STEPS IF YOU WANT TO EXPLORE OUR CAREERS AT MEDICI CLINIC, COCO RUBY SKIN & ANTI-AGEING, COSMETIC SURGERY FOR WOMEN & AESTHETIC SURGERY FOR MEN
- Do some preparation – read the books or watch the suggested videos
- Come along to one of our monthly practice EVENTS and meet some of the team members
- Apply for a role with us or get some basic experience in the Industry (see list above)
- Fill in your LinkedIn profile and watch Seek for specific job ads – APPLY on SEEK
- Send in your CV or preliminary job enquiries to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to keep on file
No phone calls, please – simply email DAVID at the address above, with the subject line: CAREER ENQUIRY.
Thank you for reading A GUIDE TO A CAREER IN THE AESTHETIC INDUSTRY.
Please be sure to register for our mailing list by sending in an enquiry form, below, to stay updated on the latest job opportunities and aesthetic skin treatments and cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery procedures. Proceed also to our JOB OPENINGS PAGE.