Breast Enhancement Surgery Using Your Own Fat – Fat Grafting and Autologous Fat Transfer (AFT)
One of the latest breast augmentation techniques is autologous fat transfer (also known as fat grafting). This is transplanting your excess fat from other areas of your body into your breasts. You can now use fat transfer options to achieve bigger and more shapely breasts without implants.
Our experienced Plastic Surgeons are now offering fat transfer procedures in Australia based on the recent pioneering work of American Plastic Surgeons and the ASPS Fat Graft Task Force.
Potential Advantages of Using Your Own Fat to Enlarge your Breasts using Liposuction for Harvesting and Cannula to Inject the processed fat.
- Breast Implants are not required (but they WILL be helpful if you want a very noticeable increase; as fat grafting to breasts is a much smaller change than an implant and hence, may not suit your needs)
- Your breasts will feel completely natural – it’s really you
- The fat removal process can help to contour your body
- There will be less breast scarring as the fat is transferred by injection
- It’s natural and improves the appearance of your skin
Fat Transfer methods for breast enlargement requires Surgical Skill and Advanced Education
Fat Grafting to Breasts – The Technique.
- This innovative procedure is known as autologous fat transfer (AFT) or fat grafting.
- It uses fat from your buttocks, thighs, flanks or tummy/lower abdomen and implants it in your breasts.
- This new procedure may become one of the main techniques for cosmetic breast surgeries in the future and may eventually have the potential to replace the widespread use of silicon implants, but we are no where near that yet; and the procedure often requires multiple surgeries to get effects.
- It’s usually best when combined with a traditional breast-augmentation using breast prosthesis (breast implants) made of silicone or saline (with silicon often the preferred choice by most Surgeons and their patients).
Breast enlargement with fat grafting or fat transfer is a delicate procedure requiring a very skillful Surgeon with extensive experience in both liposuction and the fat re-injection process.
It may NOT be suitable for all candidates or desired breast size increase goals in relation to cosmetic breast surgery. But if you’re a suitable candidate and have enough fat to harvest for the transfer, then here’s what’s good to know.
- Your fat is transferred as a living tissue graft and will continue to survive and thrive in the breast provided local biological conditions are suitable.
- However, if too much under-processed fat is transferred into your tissues, the fat will not survive and uneven lumpiness can occur.
Artistic skill, experience and judgement are needed to avoid complications and to achieve an outstanding fat transfer result. Your personal appearance objectives may also influence whether or not fat transfer methods will get you the specific look you are aiming for when you choose breast enhancement surgery.
Are you suitable for breast augmentation with fat grafting or transfer of body fat from buttocks, thighs or the belly to your breasts?
- You’ll need to understand that this procedure will not significantly increase the breast size, but may help increase the size by a half-cup (on average), and if your weight changes, so, too, may the breast size.
- It can vary a lot from person to person.
- Often, it’s best for shaping but not significant increases.
- You’ll need to have some excess fat that can be removed by Liposuction
- You desire only a modest increase in bra cup size or a solution to minor breast asymmetry problems
- You’ll need to be realistic about the possible outcomes and multiple procedures may be required to get your desired breast volume increase
- You’ll need to be guided by your Surgeon; this may NOT be the right surgery for you and you may still need breast implants or breast lift surgery to get the look you want
You’ll need to be committed to the pre-surgery and post-surgery process to maximize the amount of fat that grafts or ‘takes hold’ in your breasts.
At this stage, fat transfer can only provide a modest enlargement of your breasts – maybe one cup size per treatment.
About Breast Surgery using Autologous Fat Transfer (AFT, Fat Grafting)
There are many reasons why women consider breast surgery and enhancement procedures including AFT or fat grafting:
- Small breasts can have a negative emotional effect and limit your clothing choices
- Asymmetrical breasts can be very noticeable and impede finding a well-fitting support bra
Fortunately, breast surgery and augmentation is available to help improve the breast appearance.
Small breasts can either be enhanced with fat grafting or using a natural-looking implant (Breast Augmentation).
Visit our Downloadable Guides pages
For more information about Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery options and research in Australia.
Our Plastic Surgeons can customise your Breast Surgery to achieve natural-looking, shapely and more-symmetrical breasts
At Cosmetic Surgery for Women, we discuss your individual needs to understand which breast procedures will provide you with the results you’re after. If you have read online about fat transfer procedures and want to learn more, book a consultation with our Plastic Surgeon Dr Rebecca Wyten.
NEXT STEP: Book your Initial Consultation for a Plastic Surgery evaluation and medical assessment – no obligation.
How to Book your Initial Consultation
- Email us below or Call on (03) 8849 1444 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment OR
- Book a FREE 15-minute Phone Chat with our Patient Liaison Manager. Click here.
- A Referral from your GP or from your Specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral although no rebates are claimable without one.
- Schedule a confidential consultation with your selected Specialist Surgeon by paying the $200 booking fee.
Want more information before scheduling your Surgeon consultation?
- Request more information – DOWNLOAD A GUIDE about the procedure or contact us
- Book a Complimentary Consultation with a Nurse.
- Organise a phone call with Patient Coordinator (FREE) Click here.
- Attend our Regular Practice FREE Events and hear from our Plastic Surgeons along with their top support team.
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure you want – call or contact us
What to Bring to your Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- You may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
Please contact us using the form below to arrange a consultation with one of our expert Specialist Plastic Surgeons or to speak with our Patient Care Team on (03) 8849 1444.
*Disclaimer: Individual results can vary significantly from patient to patient.
The information we provide is of a general nature. To find out what to expect for your preferred procedures, arrange to see one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons for a full-history and surgical consultation. Read more about surgical outcome variability on our Disclaimer Page.