Facelift Surgery & Non-Surgical Facial Rejuvenation Explained
Are You Thinking About Facelift Surgery?
A Facelift, also known as Rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure that helps to correct the signs of ageing of the face and neck, including loose or sagging skin, lines, wrinkles, folds and jowls that often appear around the lower face.
The procedure helps to lift and firm sagging facial tissues to restore a more naturally youthful facial appearance. It is often said that having a facelift works to ‘turn back the clock’, helping you to look more like a younger version of yourself.
To help reverse the obvious signs of ageing, a facelift procedure can help to:
- Reduce excess, sagging skin along the jaw & jowls
- Restore a more defined jawline
- Tighten up the face for a firmer facial appearance
- Decrease the lines around your lower jowls, chin and lips
- Lift & tighten the deep facial muscles to refresh your facial appearance
As we age, skin begins to lose elasticity and collagen. Facial tissues lose volume due to a number of reasons, including heredity/genetic conditions, personal habits, gravity, sun exposure and other environments.
While this is simply part of the natural ageing process, for those who are bothered by these changes to their appearance, a facelift, combined with non-surgical facial resurfacing treatments or anti-wrinkle injections, can be a good solution.
Download Our Guide to Facial Rejuvenation
Non-Surgical Facial Rejuvenation Options
Non-surgical options for Facial Rejuvenation:
- Skin Resurfacing light-based treatments
- Lasers and/or peels
- DOT Therapy
- Laser Genesis
- Deep Chemical Peels
- Dermal Fillers
- Fat Reduction Injections
- Anti-Wrinkle Injections
- Home-based skin Care Regimes and highly active cosmeceutical products
For less severe cases of ageing, where lines & wrinkles are still a concern, there are a number of non-surgical treatments available that are less invasive than surgery.
These treatments work to correct the texture of your skin, rather than combat any excess or sagging skin that may have evolved as a result of ageing.
In many cases, patients may choose to combine a facelift procedure with particular non-surgical treatments to help combat wrinkles and deep lines. This is due to the fact that although facelift procedures may help to reduce wrinkles to a certain degree due to the tightening process of the surgery, a facelift will not erase every wrinkle.
Resurfacing treatments are often seen as the best procedure for dramatically reducing wrinkles.
- DOT Therapy involves the use of a fractional laser and radio frequency device that helps to drastically reduce the appearance of deeper lines & wrinkles, and improve the overall texture & tightness of ageing skin.
- The DOT Therapy laser precisely creates thousands of microscopic holes (DOTs) in your skin, which help to induce immediate skin tightening as well as stimulate new collagen growth.
- Unlike other laser resurfacing treatments, DOT Therapy leaves areas of healthy tissue surrounding the DOTs, enabling your skin to heal more rapidly and shorten your healing time.
- The recovery process for DOT therapy is typically 4-7 days, although this may vary depending on your skin’s condition & sensitivity to the treatment, as well as the customised settings of the DOT Therapy device.
- Fraxel Laser utilises a patented fractional technology to target damaged skin. The laser produces thousands of microscopic treatment zones (MTZ’s) that penetrate deep into the skin, treating only a ‘fraction’ of the surface tissue at a time to assist with rapid healing of skin’s tissue.
- The Fraxel device helps to stimulate newcollagen production, hence promoting the growth of fresh, new and healthy skin cells.
- Repeated treatments, of which we typically recommend 2-5 treatments (although this will vary depending on the condition of your skin), create additional MTZ’s until the entire skin is treated.
- Fraxel is not suitable for all skin types, as it may cause mild blistering or temporary skin discolouration in darker skin.
- Be sure to check with a trained and experienced skin professional as to whether you are a suitable candidate for Fraxel before any treatment.
Healite II Low Level Light Therapy
- Healite II is a gentle, non-invasive low level light-based therapy which uses the energy of light to trigger the skin into healing itself by stimulating its own natural collagen, helping to revitalise and rejuvenate ageing skin which in turn helps to stimulate collagen and revitalise your skin.
- The Healite II can be employed as a stand-alone treatment to improve skin texture by reducing wrinkle depth and skin roughness, or in conjunction with other non-surgical treatments to help improve the appearance of fine lines & wrinkles.
- Healite II is a great option for those with a busy schedule as it is a comfortable treatment which involves absolutely no downtime. You can have a Healite II treatment on its own, with a facial or following DOT Therapy, Fraxel or a Facelift to help facilitate healing.
- A Chemical Peel involves the application of a specific solution to the surface of the skin. This peels away the outermost layers of the skin revealing fresh skin beneath following the healing process.
- There are various types of chemical peels that target fine lines & wrinkles and are suitable for different skin types, with a range from superficial, medium and deep penetration strengths.
- Dermal filler injections are solutions that are temporary in nature, and are a form of acid not overly different to what the body naturally produces.
- Dermal injection procedures can help restore facial volume where skeletal volume loss has occurred. This includes plumping up cheeks and reducing deep lines or folds within the skin and plumping of the lips.
- They are often best used in combination with muscle-relaxing anti-ageing injection treatments.
- You should always choose a highly skilled and experienced injector who understands facial anatomy and vascularity to maximise your chances of getting a good result.
Fat Reduction Injections
- Fat Reduction Injectables are used to reduce fat under the chin to define the jawline.
- A local anaesthetic is injected into the chin/neck area prior to the treatment
- The treatment is administered using micro-fine injections into the sub-mental fat below the chin.
- Treatment is recommended every 4-8 weeks for approximately 2-5 treatments
- Every patient is individually assessed and recommended the best amount of treatment for them.
- Anti-wrinkle Injections are used to treat lines and wrinkles in the skin. A purified, natural protein is injected in to the chosen area/s to relax the dynamic muscles responsible for wrinkle formation.
- Small amounts are injected into the skin to relax muscle movement and help to create a refreshed, rejuvenated appearance.
- The active ingredient for the muscle relaxant injection solutions are derived from bacteria in sterile laboratory conditions.
- Anti-wrinkle injections are a prescription-only medicine so the treatment must be performed by a qualified medical professional.
Home-Based Skin Care
- High quality, Cosmeceutical Skin Care can help to reduce the signs of ageing when used in the regular skin care regime.
- A lot of anti-ageing skin care products can also be used as a preventative measure for younger patients that are concerned with developing deep lines or wrinkles in the future.
- Our Dermal Clinicians at Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing can prescribe you an at-home anti-ageing skin care regime depending on your skin condition and concerns.
- We recommend combining quality at-home skin care with your facelift or non-surgical facial rejuvenation procedures to help maintain your results.
Visit our Non-Surgical Face Lift Procedures pages including:
- Liquid Facelift (Injectables treatments including jaw-defining and cheek enhancing dermal fillers)
- Injectables to reduce brow wrinkles
- Filler Facelift
When To Consider Facial Rejuvenation
Am I A Good Candidate For Facelift Surgery?
Do you have concerns with any of the following:
- Are you tired of looking in the mirror and being confronted by how much you’ve aged?
- Do you now have sagging jowls or an aged appearance to your jawline, lower face and neck?
- Do you wish you could turn back the clock a little to regain a firmer, younger facial appearance?
- Are you mistaken for being much older than you really are?
- Do you feel less visible in society as your face has started to show its age?
- Have you declined social invitations or become self conscious when going out?
A facelift is designed to reduce visible signs of aging, including facial wrinkles, sagging skin, and jowls. If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you may be a good candidate for a facelift procedure or, for less severe cases, a non-surgical facial rejuvenation procedure.
A facelift can typically help you look years younger, enjoy a rejuvenated and rested facial appearance, and therefore boost your confidence for those who feel self-conscious due to looking older than they are.
Common Reasons For Wanting A Facelift
Some of the reasons you may be exploring your facial rejuvenation surgical options are:
- You have unwanted loose, sagging, or excess skin on the mid and lower face as well as the upper neck.
- You have a constant tired or worried look, even though you’re well-rested, and would like to rejuvenate your appearance to better express how you feel inside.
- You have jowls around the lower areas of your face that can often make you look heavier than you actually are.
- You would like to reduce deep lines and/or wrinkled skin around your mouth, chin or jawline that cause your face to look severely aged.
- You have sagging lower jowls or loose skin around the sides of your chin and your jawline that causes your jawline to blend into your neck.
The Surgical Process
Surgery Checklist for Facelift Surgery
Before deciding on your Surgeon or proceeding with Surgery, there are a few important things you should consider:
- Is my preferred Surgeon a highly skilled, FRACS qualified & experienced?
- Is my procedure going to be performed in a fully accredited Private Hospital?
- Am I in good health and do I maintain a nutritionally healthy lifestyle?
- Do I have realistic expectations about what Facelift surgery can achieve?
- Am I choosing to have surgery for the right reasons and at the right time?
- Am I willing & able to undergo an initial recovery period of approximately 2-4 weeks?
What Is Involved With A Facelift Surgical Procedure?
The time taken to complete your procedure will depend on the surgical approach taken by your chosen Plastic Surgeon. Typically, Facelift Surgery will take between 2-4 hours.
The exact technique your chosen Plastic Surgeon uses during a facelift depends on a number of factors, including your facial anatomy, the extent of the facelift, and whether or not another procedure is being performed at the same time.
- A standard or ‘traditional’ facelift will more fully address moderate to advanced ageing around the mid-face and neck. The results from a standard facelift are more dramatic than those of a mini or lower facelift.
- Through incisions located just behind the hairline, starting near the temples, and around the front of the ear, hidden in the natural folds, your chosen Plastic Surgeon will separate your skin from the underlying connective tissue and muscles. This allows your Surgeon to reposition the deeper facial tissues, get rid of the jowls and create a firmer foundation for the skin.
- Your Surgeon will then remove excess skin, and gently lay the remaining skin over the newly rejuvenated facial tissues, giving the face a smoother, more youthful contour without over-tightening the skin.
- A Lower facelift can help to rejuvenate the bottom third of your face, targeting lax jowl skin that may have caused your jawline to look saggy or ill-defined.
- Your chosen Surgeon will tighten the underlying facial structures and muscles, and remove excess, sagging skin from the lower areas of the face.
- A Lower Facelift will help to rejuvenate the bottom third of your face, therefore it is often recommended for patients who are concerned with excess, sagging skin around their chin, jaw and neck area.
- If you exhibit a mild degree of jowling and sagging skin, you may be a good candidate for a mini-facelift.
- This is a less invasive technique that allows your chosen surgeon to tighten deep facial tissues through shorter incisions
- Through these incisions, structural tissues around the cheeks are lifted and tightened to correct the jowls, refine the jawline, and rejuvenate a ‘tired’ appearance.
- A mini-facelift can help you address unwelcome signs of ageing before they become too pronounced, postponing the need for more extensive surgery for many years.
Common Procedures patients can combine with their Face Lift Surgery
Other Common facial surgeries that may be combined or sequentially planned before or after you Facelift include:
- Rhinoplasty (Nose Reshaping)
- Skin Resurfacing (CIT, Lasers, Deep Peels)
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Reduction or Eyelid Lift Surgery)
- Neck Lift
- Brow Lift
- Anti-Wrinkle Injections
- Dermal Fillers
Dr Benjamin Burt performs Eyelid Lift procedures singularly or combined with a Facelift for both men and women. He also performs Revision Blepharoplasty and Corrective Eyelid Surgery as well as Eyelid and Brow lifts.
For More Information: on the surgical process of a Facelift, or anything you’ve read so far, you can speak to one of our Patient Care Team on: (03) 8849 1444 or email us at email@example.com
Our Plastic Surgeons customise Facelift Surgery for each individual patient to suit their particular condition, their desired surgical outcomes and the approach that will work best for a natural, long-lasting result.
What Are The Benefits Of Facial Rejuvenation?
A Refreshed, Rejuvenated & Younger Facial Appearance and Increased Confidence.
The most obvious benefit of Facelift Surgery is the physical result; a refreshed facial appearance. A Facelift procedure performed by a properly qualified and trained Facelift Surgery will tighten the facial muscles which tend to weaken and sag with age.
- These facial muscles will be tightened, and the underlying structure of your face may be rearranged into a better configuration. This results in less tension on your skin and helps your surgical results to last longer.
- A Facelift procedure will also result in the reduction of loose, sagging skin, as well as jowls around the lower areas of the face. This can help to restore more youthful facial contours, attributing to the restorative, rejuvenating benefits of facelift surgery.
- It is important to remember, this surgery cannot perform miracles. And it is a serious surgery so there are certainly risks to consider. That noted, it can help provide an improved quality of life in those areas of life that were compromised by your concerns about excess or sagging skin, and deep line and wrinkles on your face.
Non-Surgical Benefits Of A Facelift
- For those who opt for a non-surgical approach to facial rejuvenation, reduction in fine lines & wrinkles that helps to achieve a younger, refreshed appearance. Regular non-surgical treatments such as Laser Rejuvenation and Anti-Wrinkle Injections can help to lessen the obvious signs of ageing over an extended period of time.
- The physical improvements often achieved by Facial Rejuvenation may help you to feel more confident and self-assured. If you have struggled with the effects of ageing that may have altered your facial appearance over time, facial rejuvenation procedures can help to gain back lost confidence, and help you to look as young as you feel on the inside.
Before & After Photos Facial Rejuvenation
For more photos of patients who have had facelift surgery, visit our Before and After photograph gallery.
Recovery & Healing
- The length of your recovery period will depend on your specific procedure and other health & lifestyle factors. Recovery times can vary significantly from person to person. The general rule, however, is that you should allow 2-4 weeks for initial recovery following your surgery. Scar maturation can take up to a year.
- You will need to work with your Surgeon to allow for adequate and proper healing time. It is important to consult with your Surgeon before returning to daily activities such as driving, lifting and exercise.
- It is also important to wear the post-operative compression garments throughout your recovery period for the designated time frames. At Cosmetic Surgery for Women and Men, your garments will be provided by your Surgeon.
- Good results depend on a collaborative approach and a healthy lifestyle. You will need to be willing to follow the specific instructions given to you by your Surgeon, and attend all post-operative appointments.
- Our Plastic Surgeons provide a Rapid Recovery Pack that is called ‘Science & Love’.
- This Pack contains evidence-based products aimed to facilitate your healing, as well as pampering products to use whilst resting after surgery.
- Your Rapid Recovery Pack will also include a guide book with helpful information that can assist you through your healing and recovery period. Good results depend on numerous factors; so it is very important to follow your Surgeon’s specific advice.
Maintaining Your Results
- Please keep in mind that your results from Facelift surgery or non-surgical Facial Rejuvenation may be impacted by fluctuations in your skin health or weight, as well as the effects of gravity and the natural process of ageing as well as climate and environment.
- Although a Facelift will help to rejuvenate and refresh your facial appearance, it does not stop the process of ageing.
- To maximise the longevity of your Facelift surgery results, it is important to maintain a healthy diet & lifestyle. We also recommend following a regular, high-quality, anti-ageing skin care regime.
FAQ’s About Facelift Surgery
How will i feel after a Facelift?
Most surgery does involve discomfort or pain during the initial post-surgery healing periods. It can be difficult to predict the discomfort levels a patient will experience as there are so many variables to consider.
Discomfort after surgery is also partially subjective. Each patient has a unique perception or sensitivity to pain and discomfort. Fortunately, most pain during your healing period (particularly just following your surgery) can be managed by following your Surgeon’s recommendations and post-surgery instructions.
If you have any concerns during your healing & recovery period, you will have access to our 24/7 patient care line, so there will always be someone available to help.
Will i need to stay in hospital overnight after plastic surgery?
An overnight stay in Hospital may be required following Facelift procedures. As part of an individually tailored surgical plan, your Surgeon will be able to advise you on the most suitable option(s) for you.
How will i feel after non-surgical Facial Rejuvenation?
Following DOT Therapy, Fraxel Laser and most Chemical Skin Peels, you will likely experience some redness, swelling and discomfort.
Again, it is hard to predict the levels of likely side-effects as this often varies from patient to patient and will depend on a number of varying factors, including your skin condition prior to treatment, the level of treatment provided and your skin’s natural sensitivity levels.
Our Dermal Clinicians will recommend the right steps to take to minimise any redness, swelling and facilitate your healing process post-treatment, including applying ice packs and moisturiser sunscreen to treated areas, Healite II treatment sessions and avoiding the sun.
How soon after surgery can I expect to see results my Facelift?
Although you will typically be able to see results immediately after your surgery, it can usually take 4-6 weeks, or sometimes more, for swelling to subside.
Therefore, you will have a better idea of your post-surgery results after your healing and recovery period is over.
When can i return to work after Facelift Surgery?
The time taken to recover before returning to work or other daily activities, such as driving, often varies from patient to patient, and will depend on your particular procedure, as well as the type of work undertaken.
Typically, most patients find they can return to work 2-4 weeks following Facelift Surgery. If your work is highly physically demanding, it may take longer before you are able to return.
How can I help to maintain my Facelift surgery results?
Although a Facelift procedure will help to rejuvenate and refresh your facial appearance, it does not stop the process of ageing. Firstly, it is important that you follow post-operative instructions from your Surgeon in order to maximise your results.
Following surgery and your healing process, ensure that you follow a healthy diet, wear high quality, high protection sunscreen & try to avoid prolonged exposure to the sun, and invest in a high-quality skin care regime to help keep your skin hydrated and refreshed.
To support your surgical results, and keep the natural signs of ageing at bay, you may opt to combine a Facelift procedure with non-surgical facial rejuvenation treatments.
What can be done to minimise post-surgery scars after a Facelift?
The appearance and level of scarring will vary depending on the incision technique used during your procedure. Incisions are usually made in less noticeable areas such as along the hairline above each ear and/or in the natural creases surrounding the ear.
What you do after surgery also has an impact on scar formation; follow your post-op instructions carefully and ensure you wear your surgical tapes & post-surgery support garment as advised by your Surgeon.
Scar Minimisation using Fraxel Laser, Dermapen or Healite II Low Level Light Therapy is available to patients when required. Be sure to talk to your chosen Surgeon about the Scar Minimisation techniques available and what level of scarring you can generally expect.
How long should I wait to return to exercise after Face Rejuvenation Surgery?
Our Plastic Surgeons typically advise that you should wait at least 3-4 weeks before returning to mild to strenuous forms of exercise.
However, you must advise your Surgeon before you return to ANY form of exercise or other similar activities.
Do I need a referral from a GP to book my initial Facial Rejuvenation consultation?
You do not need to have a medical referral (from a GP) to book a consultation with one of our Plastic Surgeons.
Having a referral can allow you to claim a small rebate (around $70) back from Medicare to help cover some of the cost of your first consultation. Please note that a GP referral is valid for 12 months, and a surgeon referral has a 3 month validity.
How much does it cost for Facelift Surgery?
Your selected Facelift Surgery Surgeon can offer you a price range for your surgery depending on the type of procedure, hospital and how long you are in hospital.
At your initial consultation, you will be given a detailed Quote for your chosen procedure. This will include a Surgeon’s fee, Anaesthetist fee, Surgical Assistant fee and the Hospital fees.
An approximate range of out-of-pocket expense for your Facelift surgery can be provided over the phone from a Patient Care Advisor – call us on (03) 8849 1444.
What can i expect at my initial Facelift consultation?
At your initial appointment with your Surgeon you will typically:
- Have a physical examination
- Have your photos taken
- See before & after photos from past patients
- Find out more about your recommended surgical options
- Receive detailed information about your surgery
- Go through the possible risks and complications associated with your procedure/s
- Find out about surgery pricing and available dates
- Have all of your questions answered
Choosing The Right Surgeon For Facial Rejuvenation
Plastic vs Cosmetic Surgeons
Not all Surgeons have the same experience or intensive training and testing qualifications. Be sure you learn the differences between a Plastic Surgeon, a General Surgeon, Cosmetic Surgeon or other type of Surgeon.
Book your Facial Rejuvenation Consultation
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1444 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- A Referral from your GP is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Schedule a confidential consultation with your selected Plastic Surgeon by paying the $200 booking fee.
What to Bring to your Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
Want more information before scheduling your Surgeon consultation?
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
- Organise a phone call with Patient Coordinator (FREE)
- Attend one of our Regular FREE Practice Events and hear from our of Plastic Surgeons and their top support team (Melbourne)
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – call or contact us to learn your options
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form to book a consultation with one of our expert Plastic Surgeons or to speak with our Patient Care Coordinator.
Send an enquiry form today or phone (03) 8849 1444.
*Disclaimer: This information is general in nature and is not intended to be medical advice nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Surgery risks and complications will be covered in detail during a consultation with your Surgeon. Results depend on individual patient circumstances and can vary significantly. Results may be impacted by a variety of factors. Consult your Plastic Surgeon for details.