Melbourne’s leading team of Plastic Surgeons for Otoplasty Surgery
Our leading Melbourne fully-qualified Plastic Surgery specialists Our Specialist Team of Surgeons (Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery) and Dr Geoff Barnett (Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery) are experts at Otoplasty procedures or ‘ear pinning’ surgeries as well as earlobe repair.
Our Surgeons primarily operate at accredited major hospitals in Melbourne using only experienced anaesthetists and a top team of surgical support staff. For minor ear surgical procedures such as ear-lobe injury repairs, in-Clinic treatment options might be available to you — ask your Surgeon at your consultation.
The Ear Pinning Procedure
Otoplasty is designed to essentially ‘pin back’ protruding ears and is often performed on children. However, many adults also seek this procedure after years of taunting.
Ears are not typically a major focal point of the face. Long-term discontentment with unwanted attention about the appearance of your ears can eventuate into lowered self esteem or a heightened sense of self-consciousness.
The good news is that excessively protruding ears can often be remedied by surgical techniques.
Ear Lobe Repair Surgery Options in Melbourne
- Do you have a torn earlobe from wearing earrings, lower ear lobe stretchers or other ear accessories?
- Were your ear lobes injured or torn whilst playing sports?
Ear Lobe Repair can also be performed by our Specialist Plastic Surgeons to help improve the appearance of damaged ears, which tend to be caused by piercings or injuries impacting the ear lobe. You can ask our Specialists about your lobe repair options during a personal consultation with one of our leading Plastic Surgeons.
We are seeing an increase in younger patients seeing us for Ear Lobe Repair procedures in recent years. The reason is partially due to the recent popularity of the use of ‘stretchers’ or ‘spacers’ in their ears, as a fashion statement or accessory. These types of ‘ear jewelry’ or earrings can sometimes leads to ear lobe damage.
Surgery for protruding ears or torn, damaged and over-stretched ear lobes
Both Ear Lobe Repair (and sometimes Otoplasty surgeries) can usually be performed under local anaesthetic and sedation within our rooms. However, your surgeon will deem if general anaesthetic is more suitable; if so, this will require a day stay in a fully-accredited hospital.
Description of Procedure to Repair a Torn Earlobe
To repair your injured or torn earlobe, the damaged ‘holes’ which are usually surrounded by scar tissue will be removed by your selected Plastic Surgeon. These incision areas are then carefully remodelled and brought back together with stitches.
Scarring after earlobe repair surgery
This type of earlobe repair leaves a very fine vertical scar which generally fades well. This procedure generally takes about 45 minutes.
Description of The Ear Pinning Procedure (Otoplasty)
Ear pinning involves an incision behind each ear where the ear meets the side of the head.
The cartilage of the ear is then remodelled and manipulated so it can be stitched into place to flatten the ears appearance. Cartilage may need to be removed in some cases to allow the surgeon to create the desired outcome.
This procedure generally takes about an hour.
Scarring after Surgery: Visibility of Otoplasty Scars
Scarring after ear pinning surgery will vary with each individual and each Otoplasty surgery. Most Otoplasty scars are hidden, however, with incisions primarily in the crease where your ear is attached to your scalp (technically known as the post-auricular sulcus area).
Scarring after Otoplasty reduces over several weeks as it heals, and are typically minimal to nearly invisible for many patients.
Our Specialist Team of Surgeons and Dr Geoff Barnett will work diligently to minimise your scar visibility and will offer you post-operative care options to help keep your scarring to a minimum.
Otoplasty Procedures Can Vary: Different Ear Pinning Surgery Types
Ask Dr Geoff or Dr Tom today by sending an enquiry or booking a consultation for ear surgery assessment and to hear about the major types of Otoplasty surgical techniques.
Risks and Recovery from Otoplasty Surgery or Earlobe Repair
- Risks are minimal with Ear Repair and Otoplasty surgery. However, as with any type of surgery, in some cases, infection can occur.
- Patients are encouraged to treat the surgical area(s) as they would a wound, keeping it clean and sterile while the skin repairs itself.
- Recovery is typically very quick, and most patients will not require any time off work unless they are experiencing discomfort or pain. Pain medication should alleviate any discomfort.
- Dissolvable stitches are often used when suitable, and these then dissolve within 7-10 days.
- Your Surgeon will want to see you for a follow-up visit, so be sure to attend as scheduled.
Support for Interstate Patients
Please visit our interstate patients page to find out how we can help you.
NEXT STEPS on your Surgical Journey
Dr Geoff Barnett is available for earlobe repair or otoplasty consultations in our Hawthorn Clinic, 759 Burwood Rd, Hawthorn and operates in Melbourne, Victoria.
Our Specialist Team of Surgeons sees patients at Medici (our Berwick location) and operates in Melbourne VIC and Frankston VIC.
Visit our FAQ pages, learn more about your procedure, have a look at our photo galleries and patient reviews.
How to Book your Initial Consultation
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1400 to arrange your surgeon consultation
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Schedule a confidential consultation with your selected Specialist Surgeon by paying the $200 booking fee.
What to Bring to your Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your options
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
Want more information before scheduling your Surgeon consultation?
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
- Organise a phone call with Patient Coordinator (FREE)
- Attend our Regular Practice Events and hear from our Plastic Surgeons and their top support team (FREE)
- Organise a Skype call consultation with a Surgeon (available for Interstate patients)
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – call or contact us
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with one of our Specialist Surgeons or to arrange to speak with our Patient Care Coordinator.