Breast Reduction surgery is a complex breast procedure best done by a seasoned Specialist Plastic Surgeon.
Breast Reduction Surgery is an ideal solution for reshaping and reducing the size of heavy, large breasts. Known as Reduction Mammoplasty surgery – breast reduction surgery is an increasingly popular solution for women who are fed up with having large, very heavy breast tissues that cause chronic physical pain and social discomfort.
But like most cosmetic plastic surgeries on your body, you want to be sure you choose a good surgeon who can get the surgery done properly – the first time. As Dr Rubinstein frequently reminds patients, this is NOT a simple surgery by any stretch of the imagination. It is a highly complex combined surgery of a breast reduction and breast lift, typically with additional nipple shaping procedures, to get a pleasing and balanced look and more moderate breast proportions.
It’s a life changing surgery too, tending to restore confidence and freedom to the women who choose to have their large breasts reduced to a more manageable, balanced size and shape.
Breast reduction surgery involves two or more primary concerns.
- Breast reduction surgery is firstly concerned with reducing the weight and size of your breast tissues to give you greater comfort and freedom of movement.
- Secondly, breast reduction mammoplasty surgery involves an elevation of your nipples (areola) to a more central location on your chest area.
Your nipples can be reshaped, resized or made to look more even as well as elevated to a more pleasing position on the breast.
Your nipples can also be reduced, reshaped and adjusted in their appearance. They can be made more even (remedying asymmetry), smaller, rounder or less stretched looking during your reduction mammoplasty surgery. However, all breast reduction surgery is complex and is best left to a seasoned Specialist Breast Reduction Surgeon, such as Dr Craig Rubinstein and his team of Breast Reduction Surgeons in Melbourne at Cosmetic Surgery for Women in Hawthorn East. Phone us now on (03) 8849 1444 or send an enquiry form (to the right or at the bottom of this page).
If you’re not finished with your family, ask your Surgeon about the possibility of breast feeding after breast reduction surgery, as many women remain capable of breast feeding after surgery (although there is no guarantee).
Benefits of Breast Reduction Surgery for Women
Why you might find yourself asking if you’re a good candidate for a Reduction Mammoplasty?
Women choose breast reduction surgery for a number of reasons, and the choice is a very individual decision. But most women choose surgery because they are fed up with the problems they experience by having very heavy breast tissues. From bra dig in marks to neck pain and shoulder pain, to limitations in exercise choices or fashions, most women with very large breasts would prefer a smaller cup size – a C cup being most popular depending on the overall physique (height, weight, torso size). A range of B cup to D cup sizes, or more, is often the choice – depending on the preferences of the patient and what lifestyle they’d like to have after breast surgery.
Is Breast Reduction a good choice for your physique and social interactions?
- Do you find your breast size limits your fashion choices?
- Does the weight or position of your breasts cause you back pain, neck pain or shoulder pain?
- Are you tired of the social discomfort of having very large or sagging breasts?
- Does having large breasts or nipples get in the way of exercising?
- Are you embarrassed by the appearance of the size of your breasts in swimwear or other clothing?
Breast Reduction can be the best solution for back and neck pain related to the size and weight of your breast tissues.
Breast Reduction is a popular procedure for women of a wide range of ages. It is often the best solution to help women overcome the discomfort and physical restrictions of having heavy breast tissues or stretched-looking, downwards pointing areola (nipples).
Benefits of Breast Reduction Surgery
Why does breast reduction surgery seem the best option for many patients?
- You may have had very large, heavy breasts that caused you discomfort for most of your entire life.
- You may have ended up with very heavy, sagging breasts or misshapen nipples after pregnancy or weight changes such as weight gain or significant weight loss/bariatric surgery.
Chances are you have found the size of your breasts either uncomfortable, disconcerting or leading to skin infections and bra strap dig-ins (shoulder and neck pain being common complaints).
If you’re ready to get started, the best solution is to have a confidential Breast Reduction Surgery consultation with one of our Melbourne Specialists, such as Dr Craig Rubinstein, Dr Tom Robbins, Dr Richard Maxwell, Dr Geoff Barnett, Dr Douglas McManamny and Dr Rebecca Wyten. Phone us on (03) 8849 1444 or send a form in today. We also have FREE monthly events if you’d like to meet our Surgeons and speak with prior patients.
Complaints about large breasts:
- Not being able to exercise or participate in sports freely.
- Difficulty finding a comfortable bra or a bra that actually fits.
- Looking heavier than you actually are.
- Sagging or asymmetry and stretched looking nipples.
Imagine what can occur for you after Breast Reduction surgery with one of our Team’s top Breast Specialists:
- For one, having a more moderate breast size will often increase your ability to participate freely in certain sports and exercise classes.
- And thirdly, heavy breasts can result in chronic pain conditions, from neck pain to back pain to shoulder pain and bra-strap dig ins.
Every aspect of having very large, heavy breasts can be a burden to a more comfortable lifestyle for women who feel they have been graced with ‘a bit too much’ or ‘way too much’ on top.
Breast Reshaping Surgery for a smaller size
Do you wish you had a balanced torso area and more moderate chest dimensions?
- Breast Reduction surgery can lift and resize your breasts to a more balanced proportion.
- It is best done AFTER you have completed your family although most women who have breast reduction surgery state they wish they’d had it much earlier in their lives.
- Having Breast Reduction surgery does not always interfere with breast feeding in later years but ask your Surgeon for details (there are also several surgery options and different Surgeons do the surgery in a different way).
Again, many women CAN breast feed successfully after breast reduction; but like all surgeries and pregnancies, there are no guarantees.
Breast Reduction and Breast Lift: Getting your upper body back in proportion and finding balance in size and shape and nipple location
Women often wish they’d had the surgery sooner rather than later, as they could have had improved quality of life with less pain and more exercise freedom.
Is it a great idea to get a Breast Reduction at this time of life?
Sometimes pregnancy and weight change takes a toll on your body. Other times it’s a genetic inheritance that leaves you with very large, heavy breasts that are uncomfortable – physically, psychologically and socially.
Only YOU can decide – based on what you’ve experienced over a lifetime or decades of having very large, heavy breasts.
But if you’re fed up with the problems you have found from having heavy breast tissues or sagging breasts and nipples, call a Patient Care Coordinator today on (03) 8849 1444. We offer no-obligation consultations to assess your suitability for the Breast Reduction procedure and what type of breast and nipple surgery you might be eligible to have (there are different options and at Cosmetic Surgery for Women, you have a choice of several top Melbourne Plastic Surgeons and Cosmetic Surgery Specialists to choose from).
Top complaints leading to women considering Breast Reduction Mammoplasty
- Chronic skin infections or irritations
- Sagging or stretched nipples
- Uncomfortable bras
- Physical pain (neck pain, shoulder pain, back pain)
- Social discomfort, embarrassment or intimacy concerns
- Fear of wearing swimsuits or going to the beach
- Recurrent skin infections in the breast crease.
- Restricted fashion choices
- Unwanted comments and unwanted attention from strangers
- Hurtful comments even from people who know you well
- Bra straps ‘digging in’ the shoulder area and creating permanent skin grooves
- Exercise and shopping are often difficult or uncomfortable
If you feel the size or weight of your breasts detrimentally impacts your daily activities, clothing choices, exercise options and comfort levels in activities and social situations, then Breast Reduction surgery may help.
Melbourne’s top team of Breast Surgeons for Breast Reduction and Breast Lift Surgery including after pregnancy or weight loss can be found by phoning (03) 8849 1444 or sending in an enquiry form.
Our Specialist Breast Reduction Surgeons in Melbourne are TOPS for top-reduction surgery.
Reduction mammoplasty surgery of the breast should be performed by a seasoned Specialist Surgeon. Fortunately for patients in Melbourne, you’ll have six or more Specialist Breast and Body Contouring Surgeons to choose from.
Choose from SIX of our team’s TOP Surgeons for Breast Reshaping Surgery (Breast Augmentation, Breast Reduction, Breast Lift and Asymmetry Corrections).
Confused which Melbourne Specialist Breast Surgeon to choose?
Our Surgeons are FRACS qualified, Specialist Plastic Surgeons with decade of experience and expertise. Several of our Surgeons also specialise in Breast Reduction Surgery, Revision Breast Surgery and Nipple and Breast Surgery and are considered experts by their Colleagues.
Call a Patient Care Coordinator today for helpful information about our Surgeons, locations and procedure costs by phoning (03) 8849 1444.
We look forward to assisting you with scheduling a confidential consultation and assessment for your suitability for surgery.
We can even help you understand which of our Melbourne Surgeons may best fit your personality, your surgery needs or your surgery timing best!
Costs and Finance of Breast Reduction Surgery
Each surgery is fully customised so we can give you a cost range over the phone, however, it’s really dependent on your specific concerns and needs. We believe you should never settle for a cheap overseas option when you may end up regretting your results – do your research.
Choose one of our leading FRACS Qualified Specialist Plastic Surgeons for quality, precision planning and the ultimate experience in patient care.
Our Surgeons operate in fully accredited hospitals using experienced Anaesthetists. You’ll relax knowing you’ve chosen an experienced FRACS qualified, Specialist Plastic Surgeon and Cosmetic Plastic Surgery support Team.
If you’re wondering how to finance your breast reduction surgery, visit the FINANCE options pages.
RISKS of Breast Reduction Surgery.
There are risks to breast reduction surgery as there are for other surgery procedures, and some risks unique to the procedure. Surgery risks can be found on our FAQ page or ask us for information. Healthy, suitable candidates for surgery will have fewer risks than patients who are unhealthy or who smoke. That’s why it’s so important to be honest in your pre-surgery consultation about what you eat, what health conditions you have, and whether or not you smoke or use other substances.
During a confidential consultation, we will provide you with information on risks, costs, recovery and rapid recovery packages that we offer patients to help facilitate their healing. There is a lot you CAN do – both before and after your surgery – to reduce your likelihood of complications or other surgery risks. So it’s important to prepare for your surgery with as much notice as possible. But if you have a particular date in mind for your surgery, let us know so we can help you book the time you want to have your procedure done.
Male Breast Reduction vs Female Breast Reduction
We also perform Breast Reduction for Men for Gynaecomastia
Even MEN get breast reduction surgery, known as a popular surgery treatment for Gynecomastia (Gynaecomastia) or “man boobs.” If you want to read more about surgery for male breast reduction, visit our male Aesthetic breast surgery pages. The Surgeons for Male Breast Reduction are Dr Richard Maxwell and Dr Geoff Barnett.
How to Book your Initial Consultation
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1444 to arrange your Surgeon consultation – bring along a friend or family member (optional) – partners welcome.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful, but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral but your rebate on the Specialist appointment may not be available without a GP referral.
- Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the $200 fee to reserve your time.
What to Bring to your Surgeon Consultation
- You may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
Want more information before scheduling your Surgeon consultation?
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us on (03) 8849 1444 or send in an enquiry form
- Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
- Organise a phone call with Patient Advisor (FREE)
- Attend our Regular Practice Events and hear from our Breast Specialist Plastic Surgeons and their top support team (FREE)
- Organise a Skype call consultation with a Surgeon (available for Interstate patients)
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – call or contact us
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Consultations may be available in Hawthorn East / Melbourne, Berwick or near the Williamstown/Geelong region – ask which of our Breast Surgeons consults in each location.