Breast Implant Surgery in Melbourne
Our Specialist Plastic Surgeons are Melbourne’s leading Breast Specialists Team for Breast Augmentation using high quality implants and fully-customised procedures. They offer breast implant surgery and cosmetic breast surgery or Revisional Breast Surgery procedures in accredited hospitals in and around Melbourne or Berwick, including:
- Breast Enlargement
- Breast Implant Removal & Replacement
- Breast Implant Revision Surgery
- Breast Implant Size Changes
- Surgery to correct Breast Implant Complications
Do you want larger, more shapely breasts or more prominent cleavage?
Breast Surgery with Implants remains one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures today. If you’ve been dreaming of getting more noticeable cleavage or an enhanced breast size to balance out your body, using quality breast implants, our Specialist Plastic Surgeons can help.
Send an enquiry form or phone us during Clinic Hours on (03) 8849 1444 to request our ULTIMATE GUIDE TO COSMETIC BREAST SURGERY.
Cosmetic Breast Augmentation Surgery with Breast Implants
Breast Implant Surgery has many options to consider. These include whether or not you’re a good candidate for breast implants and other decisions about size, profile, projection, texture, placement and implant incisions. Then there’s planning for surgery, and finding out whether or not you need a breast lift with an implant (if you are wanting larger breasts due to post-pregnancy deflation).
We believe that choosing your Surgeon for Breast Implant surgery is the most important consideration for an operation.
Not all Surgeons are alike. Do you know the differences that make a Specialist Plastic Surgeon one of your top choices for cosmetic breast surgery procedures? A Specialist qualification in Plastic, Reconstructive & Cosmetic Surgery will mean the Specialist Plastic Surgeon has FRACS qualifications. Top Surgeons also typically belong to organisations devoted to quality and advanced training for their Surgeon members. These include ASAPS, ISAPS or ASPS or similar bodies that accept only SPECIALISTS as members. Nearly anyone with a medical degree can call themselves a cosmetic surgeon as it’s not a protected title. But a SPECIALIST PLASTIC SURGEON is a protected title, and indicates your surgeon has had at least 12 years extensive training in plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery.
A Specialist Plastic Surgeon has decades of training and expertise and can help you fully customise your procedure as well as minimise your post-surgery incision line scars using some of the latest technologies and light-based treatments.
At Cosmetic Surgery for Women in Hawthorn East, Berwick or Williamstown, you can choose from a team of several FRACS qualified top Melbourne Specialist Plastic Surgeons who perform primary breast implant surgery, breast implant replacement surgery and revision surgery for women from all over Victoria. We also have body contouring, eyelid rejuvenation, facial rejuvenation, rhinoplasty, facelift/necklift and liposuction surgeons who can help you with your cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery needs. Plus, our team is supported by the Dermal Clinicians and scar management clinicians at Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing.
Our Breast Specialists can help you with your Breast Implant Surgery and Choosing the Right Breast Implants
Melbourne’s Breast Specialists are available to help you with your Breast Surgery Procedures
Your choice of our Melbourne Team’s leading Specialist Plastic Surgeons for Breast Implant Surgery — located in Berwick, Williamstown or Hawthorn East in Melbourne, Victoria. Note that some of our Surgeons see patients in specific locations, so if office location is important to you, ask the Patient Coordinator for the location
- Dr Richard Maxwell – Specialist Plastic Surgeon for Cosmetic Surgery of the Breast, Face and Body
- Dr Geoff Barnett – Specialist Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon for Cosmetic Surgery of the Breast, Face and Body
- Dr Rebecca Wyten – Specialist Plastic Surgeon for Cosmetic Surgery of the Breast and Body
- Dr Tom Robbins – Specialist Plastic, Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgeon of the Breast, Body and Face
- Dr Douglas McManamny – Specialist Plastic, Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgeon of the Breast, Face and Body
- Dr Craig Rubinstein – Specialist Plastic Surgeon for Cosmetic Surgery of the Breast and Body
- Our Breast Specialists in Melbourne operate at accredited major hospitals in Melbourne
- They use only highly experienced Anaesthetists and a top Breast Surgery & Recovery Support Team
- You’ll also get special “Rapid Recovery” kit products known as the “science and love” package to aid your healing and recovery after surgery
- For more information on getting back to exercise after getting implants, send an enquiry form and ask for the link to our blog article on exercising after surgery (or ask for the 7 Steps to Surgery GUIDE during your consultation).
Our Surgeons offer Breast Enlargement using two key techniques:
- breast enlargement using breast implants
- fat grafting to breasts using your own fat (autologous fat transfer)
Breast Enlargement Surgery: Are you a candidate for Surgery?
The decision to proceed with breast enlargement is a deeply personal one for every woman.
Our Breast Specialists fully customise every breast enlargement surgery for each individual patient.
You may be a candidate for breast enlargement surgery
- Are you dissatisfied with having small breasts or feel your breasts don’t fit the rest of your physique?
- Do you feel your breast size doesn’t match the cleavage that you want?
- Are you unhappy with post-pregnancy breast changes, such as drooping or sagging breasts?
- Have you noticed unwanted changes to breast size or shape after weight change?
- Do you want to even out uneven breasts (asymmetrical breasts)?
Why Breast Enlargement using Breast Implants may be an Option for You
There are a number of reasons you may want Breast Enlargement (Breast Augmentation) surgery.
Breast enlargement surgery with breast implants can help you to potentially:
- Feel more comfortable in different types of clothing, swimsuits or lingerie
- Enjoy more clothing choices or feel more confident
- Reduce self-consciousness about swimsuits or going to the beach
- Balance out your figure and overall proportions
Your Breast Enlargement Surgery Decision using Breast Implant Surgery
- Deciding to seek advice about breast enlargement surgery is a personal decision often based on a number of reasons. Women may choose a breast enlargement if their breasts haven’t developed as much as they would like them to, or if their breasts have reduced in size after weight loss or pregnancy and breastfeeding. Sometimes breasts may have a noticeably different appearance or they may have dropped over time. If these sorts of changes have occurred, they can be addressed but the operation may be more complicated.
- Speaking to one of our experienced surgeons will help ascertain if Breast Enlargement is right for you to help you achieve your ideal shape.
About Breast Enlargement Surgery using Breast Implants
- Breast enlargement is a surgical procedure designed to improve your breast profile through the use of breast implants.
- During the operation, implants are placed behind the breast tissue and often behind the pectoral muscles as well to enhance the size and shape of your breasts.
Planning Your Breast Enlargement Procedure
- There are many choices you have when planning a breast enlargement procedure. Your decisions include implant type choices, incision location choices, and implant placement or location on the chest area – e.g., whether the implant goes in front of or behind the pectoral muscles (or Dual Plane technique, which is partially behind the muscle).
- In discussing your desired outcome, your specialist surgeon will be able to take you through these options and recommend the best approach for you.
Implant Types for Breast Enlargement: Which type of Implant is right for you?
- The first thing to consider is what the implants are made of. All modern breast implants have a rubberised silicone outer shell, no matter what fill material is used.
- There are two types of fill material. Implants may be filled with either saline (salt water) or silicone gel. Saline filled implants were popular about two decades ago when controversy existed about the quality of silicone gel filled implants. Those concerns are no longer an issue today, but we still offer saline filled implants as an option, despite silicone implants now being a more popular option for Breast Enlargement.
*Disclaimer: Individual results can vary significantly from patient to patient.
The information we provide is of a general nature. To find out what to expect for your preferred procedures, arrange to see one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons for a full-history and surgical consultation. Read more about surgical outcome variability on our Disclaimer Page.
Saline filled Breast Implants for Breast Augmentation Surgery
- Saline filled implants have a ‘water bed’ like feel, and have been known to cause a ripple effect. If a patient has small amounts of breast tissue to begin with, rippling of the tissue can be seen through the skin. These problems can be reduced by using smooth surface round implants that are overfilled (still within manufacturer’s specifications), resulting in an implant that is firm to the touch. The implants may also look spherical or rounded, which is not necessarily a very natural appearance. If saline implants deflate they do so rapidly, often within a few hours, and the saline solution is easily absorbed by the body.
Silicone Gel filled Breast Implants for Breast Augmentation Surgery
- Silicone Gel filled implants are designed to have a more natural feel similar to that of breast tissue. They are also sometimes found to hold their shape a bit better than a saline filled implant.
- These implants tend not to deflate, but can rupture in rare instances.
- If gel filled implants do leak or rupture, there is an increased risk of capsule contracture or hardening of the breast (see Risks to consider).
Breast Implant Surgery & Implant Size Decisions: Big OR Small?
It’s not a cookie cutter operation – a good Surgeon will help you choose the size and projection dimensions that they consider to be best for YOUR body.
- Our implant manufacturers, including Mentor, Allergan and Silimed can supply hundreds of different implant sizes and profiles.
- Saline filled implants can be filled after they have been inserted into the breast pocket, while silicone gel filled implants are manufactured as a whole.
- The wide variety of implant choices available to you, means that you and your Breast Specialist Plastic Surgeon should be able to select the ideal implant shape and size — specifically to meet your needs.
Surface: Smooth or Textured Breast Implants
Breast Implants can have either a smooth or a textured surface.
- Smooth surfaced implants tend to feel softer than textured surfaced implants
- They are relatively easy to insert
- Textured implants reduce the risk of implant movement due to the rough surface allowing surrounding breast tissue to adhere to the implant
Shapes: Round or Anatomical Implants – which is best for you?
Implants are available in a round shape or anatomical (tear drop) shape.
In women who have a good (moderate) amount of existing breast tissue, it can sometimes be difficult to tell whether her breast augmentation has been performed with either a round or an anatomically shaped implants.
In general though, Anatomical Implants tend to be more versatile depending upon your desired surgery results.
Implants can be chosen to provide more height to your enlargement. Or they can provide more contrast between the shape of the upper part of your breast and the lower part of the breast.
Anatomical breast implants must have a textured surface to reduce the amount of implant movement within the breast pocket. Round implants come with either a smooth or a textured surface.
If a round implant rotates in the breast pocket, it doesn’t tend to affect the breast shape. If an anatomical implant rotates within the breast pocket, it must be repositioned to restore its natural appearance.
To learn more about Breast Implant Surgery, visit our Breast Augmentation Pages and Read our Blogs & FAQs.
Revision Surgery including Removing & Replacing Implants
Revisions or Removal Surgeries relate to either
A) implant life span
B) or an implant issue
When gel-filled implants break, a capsule contracture or hardening of the breast is likely to form.
When Saline-filled implants break and deflate, a significant reduction in size occurs and is generally visible.
If there is a possibility an implant is compromised or broken, but your Surgeon isn’t fully certain or needs to understand the condition of your implant, an MRI scan is ordered to help understand what has happened.
A broken or compromised implant should be removed. Most people ask to have the implant replaced with a new one at the same time. Read more about this procedure on our Breast Implant Removals pages.
Revisions due to unsatisfactory results with overseas Surgery (Botched Medical Tourism)
Our Surgeons also see many patients who were dissatisfied with the results of surgeries done overseas or by less experienced surgeons (‘botched’ boob jobs’).
Contact us if you want to explore Breast Revision Surgery to change the appearance of your breasts.
See Past Patient Before & After Photographs Photos
Combined or Additional Procedures
If you want to combine breast surgery with other procedures including liposuction, tummy tuck, nose surgery or a Mummy Makeover, please discuss your surgery options with your Surgeon or Patient Advisor.
Support for Interstate & Overseas Breast Surgery Patients Patients
Please visit our Interstate & Overseas Surgery Patient page to find out how we can help you.
NEXT STEPS on your Surgical Journey
Visit our FAQs pages, learn more about your procedure, have a look at our photo galleries and patient reviews.
How to Book your Initial Consultation
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1444 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the $200 consultation fee
What to Bring to your Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- You may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
Want more information before scheduling your Surgeon consultation?
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
- Organise a phone call with Patient Advisor (FREE)
- Attend our Regular Practice Events and hear from our of Plastic Surgeons and their top support team (FREE)
- Organise a Skype call consultation with a Surgeon (available for Interstate patients)
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – call or contact us
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with one of our expert Specialist Plastic Surgeons or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.
Send an Enquiry form today or phone (03) 8849 1444.
Our team of Plastic Surgeons’ affiliations include: