Wanting to remove your breast implants (or removed and replaced)? Choose Melbourne’s top Specialist Plastic Surgeons.
Sometimes you get breast implants and decide later that you want them taken out. There are a few different reasons why some women want breast implants removed or replaced. Wanting to remove breast implants or replace them may include:
- life events and other lifestyle changes that make you want a change in your bra cup size
- desire to go smaller or bigger than your original breast implants
- breast feeding implications, such as when skin sags after having babies – or when ageing leaves you in need of a breast lift to restore a firmer chest area
- a scenario where you have a complication with your original breast augmentation surgery
- a complication such as double bubble, bottoming out or capsular contracture
- personal reasons you might want your original breast implant prothesis replaced or explanted (removed), such as changing professions or taking up competitive sports where having larger implants impacts your competitive edge
Ageing and Breast implants: Should you take them out?
- Implants do have a suggested life span or warranty period of about 10 years according to most quality breast implant manufacturers.
- But every woman ages differently, and there are many types of implants used over the past several decades – so there’s not necessarily a right or wrong answer.
- It’s a personal decision as to how long you have implants and whether or not your replace them or remove them and at what time in life you do so.
TIP: Visit your Surgeon every year to assess your breast implant results over time.
Discuss with your Surgeon when it might be best to replace breast implants or to remove them altogether.
- If time has passed and your skin has started to sag, explore a breast lift OR a masto-augmentation (combined breast lift with implants).
- If weight changes have given you too much breast tissue over time, you might even consider a breast reduction.
Read more below on top reasons women request a breast surgery revision such as removal or replacement of breast implants.
Life Span of a Breast Implant (Prosthesis): Replacing or Removing Breast Implants
Good manufacturers say to expect up to 10 years as the lifetime of a breast implant and their “lifetime” warranties indicate the same.
- The life span and warranty of a breast implant is typically stated by manufacturers as being up to 10 years.
- A “lifetime warranty” clause often relates to an anticipated lifetime of the BREAST IMPLANT itself, not the person’s lifetime.
- If the implant fails before 10 years, the manufacturer’s warranty may cover a replacement set of implants – but not the surgery costs;
- There are also conditions and terms that apply to implant warranty provisions.
- That means anyone with breast implants can expect to require a secondary or revision surgery at some stage of their lives.
- This noted, some women have seemed fine to keep their breast implants in place for a lifetime, without any issues; but the guidelines indicate they are only designed to last for up to 10 years as they are a prosthetic).
So what ARE some reasons women explore breast implant explantation?
Top REASONS women may want their breast implants changed or removed include:
- Wanting to change the size of your breast implants
- Remove & replace breast implants
- Swap them for a different shape, type, gel or size
- Changes in your breast augmentation result after gaining weight (or losing weight)
- Changes in your breast area related to ageing or having children
- Experiencing a problem with one or both breast implant prosthesis, such as having a traumatic injury to the area where your implants or located
- Capsular contracture complications (where scar tissue forms around the implant and contracts, tightens and hardens) – phone us right away on (03) 8849 1444 if you suspect this has occurred and we can assess the need to replace or remove your current breast implants
- Capsular Calcification (where hard calcium deposits form around your breast implant)
- Implant Rupture, Deflation (saline), Leakage or Damage
- Used outdated breast implant technology or cheap breast implants that may be best off replaced or removed if any difficulties or serious concerns
These incidents are not overly common relative to all implant procedures, but they can occur. Smoking also increases your risks of health complications including problems with your augmentation surgery; be sure you are living a healthy, smoke free lifestyle. If you smoke, tell your Surgeon and quit.
Our team takes special steps such as the best-practice method of 14 steps to reduce complication risks – and we also perform revision breast surgery procedures at Melbourne Hospitals – ask your Surgeon for details.
Other factors that may lead you to contemplate removing breast implants or replacing them include:
- Implant Wrinkling
- Skin sagging or skin concerns
- Excessive Movement of your implant(s)
- An unusual Allergic Reaction to a specific type or brand of implant (we use high-quality Mentor implants)
- Asymmetry (the two are not identical in either shape or position)
- Breast implant surgical complications such as infections or bleeding
- Changes in your lifestyle – you just want them out
Wanting breast implants removed due to an earlier botched surgery?
- Not all surgeries go to plan, such as if you choose a less experienced doctor for your procedure
- You may want a revision if your first surgery didn’t address your concerns or ended up problematic
- Some women want implant removal due to an earlier botched cosmetic surgery procedure that resulted from a less trained doctor or from cheap overseas surgery options (read the dangers of medical tourism)- or if you had surgery by a GP or Dermatologist skin doctor instead of a qualified Specialist Surgeon with FRACS
Or perhaps you’re on this page because you experienced problems with an inferior implant or the wrong type of implant (e.g., a cheap implant option or one that is found to potentially need replacement).
- You may seek to remove your breast implants completely and/or replace your breast implants with a more reputable brand or reliable type.
Cancer screening may also be a reason to seek removal of your breast implants.
- Recently diagnosis or suspicion of Breast Cancer
- Family members experiencing breast surgery meaning you may be at higher risk and need to screen more frequently
- Interference with Breast Screening Mammograms (if you have a personally high risk factor or genetic risk factors)
Breast Implant Removal or Replacement? Which is best?
Considerations for Swapping Out vs Removing Your Breast Implants
The best way to assess what’s best and what options might suit your needs is to meet with a seasoned Surgeon and openly discuss what’s troubling you about your current breast augmentation results. Your Surgeon may ask you the following questions:
- Are your breast implants causing you pain?
- Have your augmented breasts unusually hardened? There are options to handle capsular contractor – ask your Surgeon during a consultation.
- Are you unhappy with the look of your current breast implants? Perhaps a different size, profile shape or placement strategy can help; or maybe liposuction of the breast area or fat transfer can enhance the outcome.
- Are you wanting to live life with a smaller breast area? You can remove or replace your breast implants – and leave the look as is – or get a breast lift with or without implants, if required.
- Do you want to move back towards the breast size or shape that existed before you had your breast augmentation?
Leading Plastic Surgeons for Breast Surgery in Melbourne or Sydney can help Remove Breast Implants or Replace them with a more suitable size if you’re not happy with your Breast Augmentation
Your choice of Melbourne’s most experienced group of Plastic Surgeons for removal or replacement of breast implants – phone us now on (03) 8849 1444 or send an enquiry form below. Remember to request and download the Breast Surgery Guide.
Best locations and Top Surgeons for Breast Implant Removal or Replacement Consultations in Melbourne. Visit our Clinics in Hawthorn East.
Our highly experienced Surgeons perform Breast Implant Replacement, Removal of Breast Implants, Breast Lift Surgery and Breast Reduction Surgery. They are also highly respected for their expertise in other revision surgery and complex breast surgery for patients living in Victoria.
Corrective Cosmetic or Revisional Breast Surgery may help reduce asymmetry (evening up your breast area), relocate or resize your nipples, liposuction out extra fat in the breast area to reduce breast size or reshape the breast – or make other shape and size adjustments to the chest area.
They will work with you to understand what it is you’re wanting changed about your implants, so that you can feel more comfortable with your breast area and chest appearance.
Learn more about our Team’s Top Melbourne based Specialist Plastic, Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgeons.
Dr Craig Rubinstein – Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon
Dr Richard Maxwell – Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon
Dr Douglas McManamny – Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon
Dr Geoff Barnett – Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
Dr Richard Sackelariou – Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
Dr Rebecca Wyten – Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon
Our Specialist Plastic Surgeons for Breast Revision Surgery in Melbourne are empathetic, caring and experienced. They also fully customise each and every procedure to suit the individual patient for an aesthetically pleasing result. Please understand, however, that results can vary from patient to patient and keep your expectations realistic. Read the disclaimer and ask your Surgeon what to expect by scheduling a consultation – phone (03) 8849 1444 today.
Our Specialist Surgeons operate at accredited major hospitals in Melbourne, using only experienced Anaesthetists and a top team of surgical support staff.
Breast Implant Revision Surgery and Corrective Breast Surgeries are one of our Areas of Expertise. Choose one of our expert Surgeons for:
- Explant Surgery (Removing Breast Implants)
- Breast Implant Exchange Surgery (Replacing Breast Implants after a primary Augmentation)
- Tuberous Breast Surgery (Augmentation for underdeveloped or Tubal Breasts)
- Breast Implant Revision Surgery and complex or corrective Breast Surgery
Our highly experienced plastic surgeons also perform complex breast surgery such as natural looking Breast Reduction surgery including breast reduction liposuction for better shaping results and Breast Lift surgery to combat ptotis.
These surgeries include corrective surgery for uneven, asymmetric breasts or nipple resizing, breast lifts (mastopexy), breast lifts with augmentation using breast implants or liposuction and fat transfer to breasts.
Resizing your breasts after getting implants or after weight changes is possible with our top Surgeons.
We can resize your breast implants through a replacement surgery – or even lift, reduce and resize heavy breast tissues through a Reduction Mammoplasty.
Breast size not suiting your lifestyle at the moment? Want a natural looking result including more exercise and fashion freedoms?
Give us a call today on (03) 8849 1444 for discussions of Revision Surgery options including Removal vs Replacement of your existing Breast Implant Prosthesis.
Please contact us using this form (below) to arrange to book a consultation with one of our expert Specialist Plastic Surgeons or to speak with our Patient Care Coordinator.
Send an enquiry form today or phone (03) 8849 1400 and ask for Michelle.
The information we provide is of a general nature. For information in relation to your own situation, a consultation with a Surgeon is required. Phone us on (03) 8849 1444 to arrange to see one of our Melbourne or Sydney Plastic Surgeons to review your health and medical history and attain a surgical consultation and surgery quote. Visit our Disclaimer Page for information on why results can vary from patient to patient.