Why would I want my breast implants removed (explanted)?
There are a many different reasons why you may want your breast implant surgically removed – these can include:
- To replace your implant with a different size or shape implant (remove & replace)
- Capsular contracture (scar tissue around the implant tightens and hardens)
- Capsular Calcification – Hard calcium deposits form around the implant
- Implant Rupture, Deflation, Leakage or Damage
- Implant Wrinkling or excessive Movement of your implant(s)
- An Allergic Reaction to a specific implant
- Asymmetry (the two are not identical in either shape or position)
- Recently diagnosis or suspicion of Breast Cancer
- Interference with breast screening mammograms
- Breast implant surgical complications like infections or bleeding
- Breast size change, either naturally due to pregnancy or due to weight gain
- A prior botched surgery such as can occur in discounted back-room operations with junior surgeons or via overseas toursim
- Changes in your lifestyle – you just want them out
Considerations for implant removal
- Are your breast implants causing you pain?
- Have your augmented breasts unusually hardened?
- Are you unhappy with the look of your implants?
- Are you wanting a life with a smaller breast area and wanting to go back to how you looked before you had augmentation surgery?
Melbourne’s leading Breast Implant Removal Surgeons can help
Your choice of SIX of Melbourne’s most experienced Breast Plastic Surgeons for removal of your breast implants — With offices located in Hawthorn and Berwick in Victoria as well as Williamstown.
Dr Craig Rubinstein – Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon
Dr Richard Maxwell – Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon
Dr Douglas McManamny – Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon
Dr Geoff Barnett – Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
Dr Tom Robbins – Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon
Our Breast Specialists are highly experienced, very caring and fully customise every procedure for each individual patient.
They operate at accredited major hospitals in Melbourne using only experienced Anaesthetists and a top team of surgical support staff.
We also perform Breast Implant Removal Surgery with implant replacement options AND Revisional and Corrective Breast Surgeries
- Breast Implant Exchange Surgery (Remove and Replace)
- Breast Implant Revision Surgery
Our highly experienced plastic surgeons also perform complex breast surgery including breast lifts and breast reductions as well as corrective procedures for tuberous or asymmetric breasts or reduction mammoplasty surgery to help resize large, heavy breast tissue.
Support for Interstate Patients
Please visit our interstate patients page to find out how we can help you.
*Disclaimer: Individual results can vary significantly from patient to patient.
The information we provide is of a general nature.
To find out what to expect for your preferred procedures, arrange to see one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons for a full-history and surgical consultation. Read more about surgical outcome variability on our Disclaimer Page.
NEXT STEPS on your Surgical Journey
Visit our FAQs pages, learn more about your procedure, have a look at our photo galleries and patient reviews.
How to Book your Initial Consultation
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1400 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the $200 consultation fee
What to Bring to your Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- You may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
Want more information before scheduling your Surgeon consultation?
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
- Organise a phone call with Patient Advisor (FREE)
- Attend our Regular Practice Events and hear from our of Breast Plastic Surgeons and their top support team (FREE)
- Organise a Skype call consultation with a Surgeon (available for Interstate patients)
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – call or contact us
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form (below) to arrange to book a consultation with one of our expert Specialist Plastic Surgeons or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.