Blepharoplasty Surgery is also known as “eyelid lift surgery.” As a cosmetic or corrective procedure to reduce sagging upper eyelid skin, eyelid surgery remains one of the more commonly requested cosmetic surgery procedures in Australia and across the world. That’s primarily because the ages age a bit more rapidly than other areas of the body, due to their use in repeated expressions and the thinness of the eyelid skin. Blepharoplasty is a good option to reduce under eye bags, helping rejuvenate the entire facial appearance, and even improve vision which was previously impeded by sagging upper eyelid skin.
Wanting to improve Drooping Eyelids? Get our Blepharoplasty Guide
Even though it’s highly popular as a cosmetic procedure, eyelid surgery is inherently complex. Every person’s face, skin – and eye area anatomy – is unique. To get a good result from eyelid surgery and minimise your risks, you’ll need a Surgeon who can gauge JUST how much skin to remove and WHERE to place the incisions around the eye and eyelid area. If too much skin gets taken, you’ll end up with hallows or difficulty with eyelid functions.
An example of a patient’s BEFORE & AFTER Eyelid Surgery photos are shown below (Surgery by Dr Benjamin Burt).
(Note that she is wearing makeup in the AFTER PHOTO and not in the first photo; by reducing the heavy skin above her lids, she can now readily wear eye makeup including mascara and eye shadow, without makeup and lashes getting obscured by heavy lids).
Additional Patient BEFORE & AFTER Photos by our Team are shown further below.
If you’re not sure how to select the best Surgeon for your needs, browse our blogs for tips on selecting a Surgeon, call a Patient Care Coordinator on (03) 8849 1444 and/or ask for a second opinion by a Specialist Plastic Surgeon or Oculoplastic Surgeon. Remember, a person who calls themselves a Cosmetic Surgeon might ONLY be a GP or a skin doctor without FRACS or FACS qualifications. They might also not have a surgical practice dedicated to eyelid surgery and long-lasting, natural looking results, which is one of the tenants of our practice and our dedicated Eyelid & Facial Rejuvenation Surgeons in Melbourne.
A good Eyelid Lift result requires advanced technical skills and extensive experience.
All forms of successful eyelid surgery will involve complex adjustments and are best performed by a practitioner with advanced surgical skill sets. Why is this? Because, if done improperly, you could experience dry eye syndrome, an inability to close your eyelids properly, and other untoward complications, some as serious as vision impairment.
Blepharoplasty revisions are costly and there are some things that can’t be fixed. It’s always better to choose the right Surgeon to operate on your eyelids the first time.
That’s why it’s so important to choose your Blepharoplasty Surgeon carefully and to do your homework about different types of Surgeons who offer eyelid lift and brow lift procedures.
Ask to speak with former patients or watch Blepharoplasty Videos Online (such as an eyelid consult video, an eyelid surgery with healing & recovery v-log, surgery discomfort levels, removing eyelid surgery stitches after a Blepharoplasty, costs of surgery, and 5 month follow up after eyelid surgery videos.
A good eyelid rejuvenation Surgeon will have honed their skills through specialist level training and international experience with some of the world’s best eye and eyelid Surgeons, as is the case with our team’s eyelid rejuvenation expert, Oculoplastic Surgeon Dr Benjamin Burt.
Blepharoplasty Eyelid Lift Surgery – an overview of the procedure
- Eyelid lift surgery involves a reduction in the sagging, puffy skin around the eyelids.
- There are two primary types of Blepharoplasty – lower eyelid surgery and upper eyelid surgery.
- However, there are numerous conditions of the eye lids that can be treated surgically by a highly skilled Specialist Surgeon, and several variations of the procedure.
Because eye sight is so important, this is a surgery you don’t want to risk with a less skilled practitioner – phone us on (03) 8849 1444 to find out why you want a Top Surgeon such as Dr Benjamin Burt (the team’s Eyelid Specialist) or one of our facelift and eye rejuvenation surgeons.
How are eyelids lifted during a Blepharoplasty?
Reduction of sagging eyelid skin is performed using carefully places surgical excisions, but other methods, such as muscle adjustments, fat redistribution and/or dermal fillers may be used to enhance the effects.
Benefits of Eyelid Lift Surgery (Blepharoplasty)
Eyelid Surgery will often improve the appearance of the entire face, even if it’s just the eyelids that are operated on. Why? Because eyes are so central to your communication. It’s the focal point of most of our communications.
But if you have sagging or wrinkled skin, you may also want to consider a ‘liquid facelift’ or ‘crows feet reduction’ using dermal injections at Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing (located at our Clinics) or a laser resurfacing or skin peel strategy as well. This can compliment your surgery results and leave you looking even ‘more refreshed’ or noticeably younger than before you had your eyelids operated on.
The most common surgery procedure performed on eyelids is the Upper Blepharoplasty.
- Men and Women of all ages are attracted to the benefits of rejuvenation of the eyelids, for visual appeal and to improve vision impeded by sagging eyelid skin.
- Our skin ages and loses elasticity; and the thin skin around the area is often the first facial area to show show visible signs of ageing, skin laxity and sun damage.
A common complaint that leads patients to seek eyelid rejuvenation is when the lids of the eye obscure the crease and upper lashes.
- When eyelids droop, sag or fold over on themselves, they start to cover the eyelashes
- Strange facial expressions, such as raising the brows or raising just one brow, to compensate, are not uncommon when this occurs.
- It is also the area where most women wear makeup; and if obscured by sagging skin or eyelid folds, it limits the ability to enhance the eye area with beautiful eye shadows, lengthening mascara, eyelash extensions and other makeup.
Medical vs Cosmetic Reasons for wanting Eyelid Surgery: Reasons to Donsider Blepharoplasty
- Most eyelid surgery is performed for cosmetic purposes, to enhance the appearance of the eyes and rejuvenate the face.
- But up to 1 in approximately 5 surgeries are performed to improve vision.
- In Australia, these may occasionally qualify for minor rebates from either Medicare of your private Health Fund (subject to sudden changes).
Ask your Surgeon and your GP if you qualify for a rebate based on whether your vision is being impeded by sagging eyelid skin.
Are you raising your eye brows just to see?
You may need Eyelid Reduction Surgery or a Brow Procedure – or both.
If your brows or eyelids are sagging over your eye area, Dr Benjamin Burt (FRANZCO/FACS) can assess which eyelid lift procedure is best or you.
- Remember, results can vary from patient to patient and all surgery involves risks.
- If you view before and after photos, know that your results will be individual to YOU and not the same as someone else’s results.
- Some individuals will look great after eyelid surgery on its own, but remember, every person is unique.
- Others may need an eyelid reduction and a brow lift to get the results they are seeking.
- Injections, such as dermal fillers to reduce tear troughs and under eye bags, or crow’s feet reducing cosmetic injections, can also help enhance the eye area after eyelid surgery.
Even younger individuals who have inherited under eye bags, puffy eyelids or heavy, “double-folded” eyelids may want to enhance the appearance of their upper eyelids through a surgical procedure. In the Eyelid Surgery and Blepharoplasty Recovery VIDEO series by Amea May, she talks about being a young woman in her twenties who wanted eyelid reduction surgery because of having redundant skin and irritation to the eyelids when using makeup.
Watch the videos to find out for yourself what she accomplished through Surgery, but here’s a sneak peak at what she started with and how she looked five months after surgery.
BEFORE & AFTER PHOTOS: EYELID SURGERY – BLEPHAROPLASTY in Melbourne
And you can really tell the difference in the appearance of the eye area AFTER an eyelid reduction surgery when wearing makeup:
Vision And Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery): Corrective or Cosmetic Reasons?
There are also scenarios where people need Blepharoplasty to see properly again. If you look at people who’s lids have started drooping significantly, you’ll readily understand why.
Below is an example of a BEFORE & AFTER PHOTO of a Blepharoplasty Surgery patient operated on by Dr Benjamin Burt in Melbourne. Notice the results still look natural but refreshed – we think he looks like a much younger version of himself (around the eyes).
- Drooping eyelid skin and under eye bags usually leave individuals looking tired or older than they are.
- Drooping eyelids also eventually begin to interfere with vision by covering the pupil of the eye.
Fortunately, eyelids can be surgically reduced using carefully considered Blepharoplasty procedures by a skilled Surgeon.
Some eye conditions, such as Entropian or Ectropian, also require eyelid surgery.
If you’re wanting advice on your own eyelid surgery needs, ask for one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons or our Team’s eyelid and brow Surgeon, Dr Benjamin Burt, Oculoplastic Surgeon – Melbourne.
Types of Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty) – Upper Eyelids, Lower Eyelids, Canthoplasty
Further details are below, but in general, there are several versions of eyelid reduction (Eyelid Lift) Surgery.
The types most people know about include:
- Upper Blepharoplasty
- Lower blepharoplasty or Canthoplasty surgery
- Corrective or Revision Surgery of the Eyelid
- Asian Eyelid Surgery or Double Eyelid Reduction Blepharopalsty
You are currently on the Upper Blepharoplasty page.
An example of the eyelid ptosis that tends to occur with ageing is illustrated below.
- It is this type of ptotic skin on the brow or eyelids that leads people to seek a Blepharoplasty (shown in upper portion of the illustration below).
- The lower image in this illustration reflects a younger person’s eyelids where there is little to no ptosis of the eyelids or brow.
Looking for a Lower Eyelid Surgery/Lower Blepharoplasty?
Revisional Blepharoplasty (Revision Eyelid Surgery)
- Some patients also require Revisional Blepharoplasty, an extremely complex procedure.
- Others may need “Asian Blepharoplasty” or Double Eyelid Surgery.
We suggest choosing a dedicated, highly experienced Eyelid Surgery expert such as Dr Burt. Dr Burt is a globally-recognised expert in eyelid procedures. It’s best that you choose a top surgeon for your PRIMARY surgery – and not risk a cheap option or overseas medical tourism – as your eyesight and eyelid functions are simply TOO complex, and TOO important – to risk a less experienced Surgeon.
We get regular requests for Eyelid Revision Surgery (Revision Blepharoplasty) from patients who went overseas or to other doctors and had problems with their eye lid functions afterwards. Don’t let that be you. Phone us on (03) 8849 1444 and see a seasoned expert who can help you with your primary surgery (or ask about your options for a Revision Surgery if needed, but remember, not everything can be fixed).
It’s best to get eyelid surgery performed by the right Surgeon the first time.
For Asian patients, there is a unique procedure known as “double eyelid reduction” surgery or Asian Blepharoplasty. Ask us for details.
What age is best for a Blepharoplasty? Search our Blog for eyelid surgery or read a patient experience “From Nurse to Patient: Eyelid Surgery in Melbourne“.
Are you a Good Candidate for Blepharoplasty Eyelid Lift Surgery?*
A no-obligation Surgical Consult can help you understand what eyelid reduction surgery can do for your eyelids and facial appearance.
Send an enquiry or phone us on (03) 8849 1444 to schedule an appointment with Oculoplastic Surgeon Dr Burt (our Team’s dedicated Eyelid Surgeon) or one of our top Melbourne Plastic Surgeons for Facelift and Eyelid Surgery (for combined procedures).
Eyelid Sagging and in need of a Blepharoplasty Eyelid Reduction Procedure?
Do you feel you suffer from:
- Droopy eyelids?
- Unsightly under-eye bags?
- Fatty deposits causing puffy eyelids to hang over your eyes or hide the eyelid crease and lashes?
- Excess skin and fine wrinkles of the lower eyelid?
- Impaired vision due to drooping upper eyelid folds?
- An ageing appearance around your eyes?
Does droopy eyelids or puffy under eye bags cause you to:
- Look older than you actually are?
- Be told you look tired, drained or worried?
- Have difficulty seeing clearly or find yourself constantly raising your eyebrows to see better?
- Have difficulty putting on your eye makeup or seeing your lashes?
- Have excess skin over your eyes or covering your lashes, or puffy looking eyelids that run in the family?
You may be a candidate for eyelid rejuvenation via Blepharoplasty procedures
There’s also the option for combined facial & eyelid procedures including anti-wrinkle injectables or dermal fillers to reduce eye bags, under eye shadows or crow’s feet around the eye area – ask about our Coco Ruby Injecting Team.
Eyelid Surgery AND Anti-Wrinkle Injections can help – Skin Resurfacing May give you a more complete rejuvenation experience
Why choose our Top Melbourne Surgeons for your Eyelid Lift Surgery?
Our team has a dedicated Eyelid Surgeon (Dr Burt) and top Facelift and Eye Area Rejuvenation Surgeons and Cosmetic Injectors. They can perform holistic rejuvenation of the entire face, from reducing eye bags and sagging skin to dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle injections to soften the lines and wrinkles around the eyes. Skin resurfacing to reduce pigmentation and sun damage is also available at our Hawthorn or Berwick Clinics through Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing.
- Our Team’s Upper & Lower Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Lift) Surgeons are experts at performing complex eye or eyelid surgeries and upper and lower blepharoplasty surgery.
- Skin resurfacing of the face may also be an option if you feel unhappy with sagging eyelids and the deepening lines, wrinkles or unevenly textured skin around your eyes (e.g., crows feet or forehead wrinkles).
- Resurfacing can also help reduce the telltale signs of severe sun exposure, sun damage and hyper-pigmentation that leave your facial skin looking mottled or unevenly toned.
Visit our Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing for more on non-surgical skin resurfacing and facial rejuvenation options.
Our Specialist Team of Top Eyelid Surgeons for Blepharoplasty
Dr Benjamin Burt has focused his entire practice on Eyelid Rejuvenation and Corrective Blepharoplasty procedures; he sees patients for eyelid rejuvenation or eye bag reduction in Melbourne: Hawthorn East.
Blepharoplasty procedures for droopy eyelids and baggy eyes: procedures for anti-ageing & eyelid lifts enhance the appearance of your eyes.
Dual Blepharoplasty Procedures – Upper and Lower Eyelid Lifts for Rejuvenating the appearance of your eyes
Eyelid surgery of the lower eyelids or upper eyelids are some of the most commonly requested procedures for reducing the signs of premature ageing. These procedures can help remedy drooping eyelids and puffy under-eye “eye bags.”
It can have a pleasing effect on facial appearance for people of all ages.
Youngest age for a Blepharoplasty:
Over the age of 20 is recommended for younger patients wanting a larger platform for makeup or to reduce heavy looking eyelids or double-lid skin folds.
If there’s a physical deformity such as noticeable asymmetry or a lazy eyelid/lazy eye, other surgery may be investigated at an ealier age. Ask Dr Benjamin Burt for his professional advice by phoning (03) 8849 1444 today.
Key Benefits of Blepharoplasty for Any Gender
- Eyelid Lift Procedures can help your eyes regain their more youthful appearance
- Blepharoplasty can give you a more noticeable platform for wearing eye makeup
- Eyelid lift surgery can even help your vision if severe drooping (called ‘ptosis’) has impacted your vision
- Eyelid rejuvenation surgery is one of the most popularly requested surgeries for all genders including men
Upper Blepharoplasty surgery can correct “droopy” eyelids and help reduce the perceived age of a person’s face
More reasons patients consider Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)
- For some patients, excess skin means they do not have an appropriate surface to apply make-up to (such as eyes shadow or eyeliner).
- By creating a firm, appropriately positioned “platform” to the eyelid, Upper Blepharoplasty resolves this cosmetic product application issue.
Significant excess upper eyelid skin may also lead to a restriction of vision by physically blocking the eye.
Some patients also have excess adipose (fatty) tissue in the upper eyelid which can cause the eye to appear “puffy” or “heavy.”
- Blepharoplasty can correct this condition by removing or reshaping a tiny area of fat inside and around the eyelid.
- A lower Blepharoplasty or Canthoplasty can correct for under-eye bags and other lower lid problems such as inverted eyelashes.
Eyelid Surgery for puffiness under your eyes: Reduce those eye bags and tear trough depressions
- Lower Blepharoplasty surgically reduces excess skin and fat from the lower lid and periorbital area under the eye.
- Sometimes cosmetic injections such as dermal fillers can reduce under eye darkness or shadows (tear trough depressions)
As well as reducing perceived age, this eye surgery can correct drooping that exposes the area of the eye (white) below the iris, and most importantly for many patients, help remedy the dark “bags” under the eye.
Best age for Eyelid Surgery is when You Feel Concerned about Your Eyelid Appearance or if you suffer vision impedance or skin infections
- People of ALL ages can suffer from eye bags and under eye puffiness or sagging, droopy eyelids.
Skin on both the upper lids and lower lids, when it droops or sags, leads to a heavy tired appearance, puffy-looking eyes and ‘eye bags’.
- Genetics, lifestyle, environmental exposures and sun damage can all take their toll on the skin of the face and eyes
- It’s typically time and repeated expressions, as well as skin laxity or fat distribution changes, that lead people to investigate an Eyelid Lift surgery at our Melbourne Clinics in Hawthorn, Berwick and Williamstown/Western Melbourne.
We are also seeing more people in their twenties, thirties and forties undertake eyelid rejuvenation Blepharoplasty surgery as it has such a naturally rejuvenating but noticeably positive effect on appearance.
Dr Benjamin Burt is our Team’s Eyelid Lift & Eyelid Rejuvenation Surgery Expert for Blepharoplasty
Patient results vary per individual, but a few BEFORE & AFTER image examples of Dr Burt’s eyelid surgery patients are shown below.
Dr Benjamin Burt experience allows him to achieve natural looking, aesthetically pleasing results from Upper Eyelid Lift Surgery and Lower Eyelid Surgery
Example 1: The Younger Patient for Eyelid Surgery (Under 30)
Patients in their 20s, 30s and 40s often seek Eyelid Lift Surgery to have an enhanced platform for makeup or to have a fresher looking appearance, as seen in Amea’s videos about eyelid surgery/Blepharoplasty in her 20s.
- The result is subtle and natural looking.
- Patients seeking this surgery believe that the reduction of the puffy eyelid skin or double eyelid skin folds improves their eye appearance.
Example 2: Blepharoplasty Patients in their 30s and 40s
Patients over 35 and 40 often seek Blepharoplasty procedures to rejuvenate their eyelids.
Example 3: Blepharoplasty Patients in their 50s or 60s
- Patients over 50 and 60 often seek Blepharoplasty procedures to rejuvenate their eyelids OR to improve vision that has become obscured by sagging upper eyelids.
- They may also benefit from further facial rejuvenation such as cosmetic injectables or skin resurfacing, depending on their appearance rejuvenation goals.
More Before & After Blepharoplasty Examples* In our Melbourne Clinic Locations
Want more photos of eyelid surgery results?
- Most of Dr Burt’s patients are happy for him to show you their images in our Clinic, but some patients prefer we don’t publish their images on the global web.
- We have numerous additional example photographs to show you in our clinic.
- You can also ask to speak with a prior patient – many will be happy to talk with you about their experiences.
If you’d like to see more examples of Before & After Eyelid surgery patient photos, visit our online Photo Gallery OR arrange to meet with Dr Burt or his Assistant in our Clinic to see more examples.
Phone (03) 8849 1444 to schedule an appointment or find out how to meet Dr Burt at one of our special Events.
*Disclaimer: individual results vary from patient to patient, and there are surgery risks to consider. Be sure to ask about eyelid surgery details during your no-obligation surgical consultation.
Combined Upper & Lower Blepharoplasty for Eyelid Rejuvenation or Eyelid Surgery with a Facelift Procedure
- Upper and lower eyelid surgery, separately or combined (‘double bleph’), can help to reduce the perception of ageing in appropriate candidates
- Combined Eyelid Surgery can help restore a toned, healthy looking skin area above and below the eye area.
- Many times patients who seek eyelid reduction surgery ALSO want a Facelift and/or Neck Lift surgery.
- Find out more about our Facial surgery experts for Facelifts, neck lift surgery and brow lift surgery as well as skin resurfacing to get a fuller rejuvenation effect.
- We also offer fat transfer to face to help overcome atrophy of the bones and sagging of the skin on the face.
To further refine and rejuvenate the facial appearance and reduce “age lines” around the eyes, wrinkle reduction procedures including injectables, fillers and laser resurfacing options may prove to be of additional benefit.
Your fully-certified Plastic Surgeon can assist you in choosing which specific combination of procedures will bring you the results you are wanting to achieve to revitalise your facial appearance. Phone us now on (03) 8849 1444.
Get younger looking eyes from our leading Melbourne Surgeons
Please contact us to learn how to improve the appearance of the skin around your eyes. Our Eyelid Lift Experts, Team of Facial Plastic Surgeons and Skin Care Injecting Specialists and Dermal Clinicians can help reduce your visible signs of ageing. Phone (03) 8849 1444 during clinic hours or send an enquiry form at the bottom of this page.
Our approach to recovery is simple. We do whatever we can to get you back to your normal life as soon as possible.
- Our highly-experienced Surgeons are experts at minimising scars and helping you to manage any post-op pain you may have after your Surgery.
- We offer best practice and holistic healing protocols for your post-op surgery care.
- We offer Healite II, Fraxel scar minimisation when required, and proven healing facilitation products in our Rapid Recovery.
NEXT STEPS FOR A CONSULTATION
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with one of our expert Eyelid or Facial Surgeons.
Shown below: Dr Douglas McManamny, Dr Geoff Barnett, Dr Richard Maxwell and Dr Benjamin Burt.
Focus areas for face and eyelid surgery:
Dr Douglas McManamny – Facelift, Neck Lift, Eyelid Lifts, Brow Lift and Eyelid Lift, Deep Skin Peels and Fat Transfer to Face
Dr Geoff Barnett – Round Block Facelift/Light Healing Facelift, Neck Lift, Brow Lift, Eyelid Lift
Dr Richard Maxwell – Facelift, Brow Lift, Eyelid Lift, Neck Lift (and post-weight loss body lifts such as Arm Lift and Thigh Lift)
Dr Benjamin Burt – Eyelid Lift, Upper and Lower Blepharoplasty, Canthoplasty, Rejuvenation Surgery for the Eye and Brow Area,
Send a confidential enquiry form today. Or you can phone us on (03) 8849 1444.
Our Team of Surgeon’s affiliations and membership include:
Costs and Payment methods your Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)
Every patient’s needs are unique so costs of eyelid surgery vary.
Please phone us on (03) 8849 1444 or send an enquiry form to arrange a consultation with, and to get a QUOTE from, one of our top Eyelid Surgeons or Facial Surgery experts to discuss your specific procedure(s).