Blepharoplasty Surgery is known as “eyelid lift surgery” and it remains one of the more commonly requested cosmetic surgery procedures in Australia. That’s because it can remove under eye bags, rejuvenate an entire face and improve vision that has been impeded by sagging upper eyelid skin.
Blepharoplasty Eyelid Lift Surgery – an overview of the procedure
- Eyelid lift surgery involves a reduction in the sagging, puffy skin around the eyelids.
- There are two primary types of Blepharoplasty – lower eyelid surgery and upper eyelid surgery.
- However, there are numerous conditions of the eye lids that can be treated surgically by a highly skilled Specialist Surgeon, and several variations of the procedure.
Because eye sight is so important, this is a surgery you don’t want to risk with a less skilled practitioner – phone us on (03) 8849 1444 to find out why you want a Top Surgeon such as Dr Benjamin Burt (the team’s Eyelid Specialist) or one of our facelift and eye rejuvenation surgeons.
Benefits of Eyelid Lift Surgery (Blepharoplasty)
Eyelid Surgery will often improve the appearance of the face because eyes are so central to your communication.
The most common procedure performed on the eyelid area is the Upper Blepharoplasty.
The eyes are the first area of the face to show visible signs of ageing or sun damage. When eyelids droop, sag or fold over on themselves, they start to cover the eyelashes and the area where most women wear makeup.
Medical vs Cosmetic Reasons for wanting a Blepharoplasty
Most eyelid surgery is performed for cosmetic purposes, but up to 1 in approximately 5 surgeries are performed to improve vision (these may qualify for minor rebates from either Medicare of a Health Fund). Ask your Surgeon and your GP if you qualify for a rebate based on whether your vision is being impeded by sagging eyelid skin.
Are you raising your brows just to see? You may need Eyelid Reduction Surgery or a Brow Procedure (or both).
If your brows or eyelids are sagging over your eye area, Dr Benjamin Burt (FRANZCO/FACS) can assess which eyelid lift procedure is best or you. Some individuals will look great after eyelid surgery and others may need an eyelid reduction and a brow lift to get the results they are seeking.
Even younger individuals who have inherited under eye bags, puffy eyelids or heavy, “double-folded” eyelids may want to enhance the appearance of their upper eyelids through a surgical procedure.
Vision And Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery): Corrective or Cosmetic Reasons
- Drooping eyelid skin and under eye bags usually leave individuals looking tired or older than they are.
- Drooping eyelids also eventually begin to interfere with vision by covering the pupil of the eye.
- Fortunately, they can be surgically reduced using Blepharoplasty procedures.
- Some eye conditions, such as Entropian or Ectropian, also require eyelid surgery by a Specialist such as Dr Benjamin Burt, a Specialist Oculoplastic Surgeon in Melbourne.
Types of Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)
Further details are below, but in general, there are several versions of eyelid reduction (Eyelid Lift) Surgery.
The types most people know about include:
- Upper Blepharoplasty
- Lower blepharoplasty or Canthoplasty surgery
- Corrective or Revision Surgery of the Eyelid
- Asian Eyelid Surgery or Double Eyelid Reduction Blepharopalsty
You are reading the Upper Blepharoplasty page.
Revisional Blepharoplasty (Revision Eyelid Surgery)
Some patients also require Revisional Blepharoplasty, an extremely complex procedure (we suggest choosing a top Specialist such as Dr Burt, who is a globally-recognised expert in eyelid procedures, for your PRIMARY surgery – don’t risk a cheap option as your eyesight and eyelid functions are simply too important to risk a less experienced Surgeon.
For Asian patients, there is a unique procedure known as “double eyelid reduction” surgery or Asian Blepharoplasty.
What age is best for a Blepharoplasty? Search our Blog for eyelid surgery or read a patient experience “From Nurse to Patient: Eyelid Surgery in Melbourne“.
Are you a Good Candidate for Blepharoplasty Eyelid Lift Surgery?*
A no-obligation Surgical Consult can help you to assess what eyelid reduction/eyelid lift surgery can do for you. Phone (03) 8849 1444 to schedule an appointment with Oculoplastic Specialist Surgeon Dr Burt (our Team’s dedicated Eyelid Surgeon) or one of our top Plastic Surgeons for Facelift and Eyelid Surgery (for combined procedures).
Do you feel you suffer from:
- Droopy eyelids?
- Unsightly under-eye bags?
- Fatty deposits causing puffy eyelids to hang over your eyes or hide the eyelid crease and lashes?
- Excess skin and fine wrinkles of the lower eyelid?
- Impaired vision due to drooping upper eyelid folds?
- An ageing appearance around your eyes?
Does droopy eyelids or puffy under eye bags cause you to:
- Look older than you actually are?
- Be told you look tired, drained or worried?
- Have difficulty seeing clearly or find yourself constantly raising your eyebrows to see better?
- Have difficulty putting on your eye makeup or seeing your lashes?
- Have excess skin over your eyes or covering your lashes, or puffy looking eyelids that run in the family?
You may be a candidate for eyelid rejuvenation via Blepharoplasty procedures
There’s also the option for combined facial & eyelid procedures including anti-wrinkle injectables or dermal fillers to reduce eye bags, under eye shadows or crow’s feet around the eye area – ask about our Coco Ruby Injecting Team.
Eyelid Surgery AND Anti-Wrinkle Injections can help – Skin Resurfacing May give you a more complete rejuvenation experience
Why choose our Top Melbourne Surgeons for your Eyelid Lift Surgery?
Our team has a dedicated Eyelid Surgeon (Dr Burt) and top Facelift and Eye Area Rejuvenation Surgeons and Cosmetic Injectors. They can perform holistic rejuvenation of the entire face, from reducing eye bags and sagging skin to dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle injections to soften the lines and wrinkles around the eyes. Skin resurfacing to reduce pigmentation and sun damage is also available at our Hawthorn or Berwick Clinics through Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing.
- Our Team’s Upper & Lower Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Lift) Surgeons are experts at performing complex eye or eyelid surgeries and upper and lower blepharoplasty surgery.
- Skin resurfacing of the face may also be an option if you feel unhappy with sagging eyelids and the deepening lines, wrinkles or unevenly textured skin around your eyes (e.g., crows feet or forehead wrinkles).
- Resurfacing can also help reduce the telltale signs of severe sun exposure, sun damage and hyper-pigmentation that leave your facial skin looking mottled or unevenly toned.
Visit our Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing for more on non-surgical skin resurfacing and facial rejuvenation options.
Our Specialist Team of Top Eyelid Surgeons for Blepharoplasty
Dr Benjamin Burt has focused his entire practice on Eyelid Rejuvenation and Corrective Blepharoplasty procedures; he sees patients for eyelid rejuvenation or eye bag reduction in two locations in Melbourne: Hawthorn East and Berwick’s Medici Clinic.
Blepharoplasty procedures for droopy eyelids and baggy eyes: procedures for anti-ageing & eyelid lifts enhance the appearance of your eyes
Blepharoplasty procedures – Upper and Lower Eyelid Lifts for Rejuvenating the appearance of your eyes
Eyelid surgery is one of the most commonly requested procedures for reducing the signs of premature ageing, drooping eyelids and puffy under-eye “eye bags.” It can have such a pleasing effect on facial appearance for men and women and people of all ages (over age 20 is recommended for younger patients wanting a larger platform for makeup or to reduce heavy looking eyelids or double-lid skin folds.
Benefits of Blepharoplasty for Men and Women
- Eyelid Lift Procedures can help your eyes regain their more youthful appearance
- Blepharoplasty can give you a more noticeable platform for wearing eye makeup
- Eyelid lift surgery can even help your vision if severe drooping (called ‘ptosis’) has impacted your vision
- Eyelid rejuvenation surgery is one of the most popularly requested surgeries for all genders
Disclaimer: Please note that individual patient results vary and not everyone is a suitable candidate. There are surgery risks to consider and results vary; what you do AFTER your surgery can also impact your results, so follow your Surgeon’s post-surgery instructions and ask about our Rapid Recovery packs or if you’re a suitable candidate for Healite II low level light therapy after your initial recovery.
Upper Eyelid Lift Surgery – Blepharoplasty for anti-ageing & eyelid enhancement
- Whatever age you are, older looking eyes generally contribute to an older or tired looking face.
- Upper Blepharoplasty procedures help to reverse the appearance of ageing, by removing excess skin from the upper eyelid.
- Excess skin can create an impression of ageing in a subtle way that is difficult to isolate.
- Excess, or poorly positioned skin and fat in the upper lid and surrounding periorbital area combine to give the impression of inelastic, ageing skin.
Upper Blepharoplasty surgery can correct “droopy” eyelids and help reduce the perceived age of a person’s face
More reasons patients consider Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)
- For some patients, excess skin means they do not have an appropriate surface to apply make-up to (such as eyes shadow or eyeliner).
- By creating a firm, appropriately positioned “platform” to the eyelid, Upper Blepharoplasty resolves this cosmetic product application issue.
Significant excess upper eyelid skin may also lead to a restriction of vision by physically blocking the eye.
- This is called ptosis, and an upper eyelid lift resolves this issue.
Some patients also have excess adipose (fatty) tissue in the upper eyelid which can cause the eye to appear “puffy” or “heavy.”
- Blepharoplasty can correct this condition by removing or reshaping a tiny area of fat inside and around the eyelid.
Eyelid Surgery for puffiness under your eyes
- Lower Blepharoplasty surgically reduces excess skin and fat from the lower lid and periorbital area under the eye.
- As well as reducing perceived age, this eye surgery can correct drooping that exposes the area of the eye (white) below the iris, and most importantly for many patients, help remedy the dark “bags” under the eye.
- Read more details about Lower Blepharoplasty Surgery in Melbourne and recovery time.
Best age for Eyelid Surgery is when You Feel Concerned about Your Eyelid Appearance or if you suffer vision impedance or skin infections
- People of ALL ages can suffer from eye bags and under eye puffiness or sagging, droopy eyelids
- Skin on both the upper lids and lower lids can sag, leading to a heavy tired appearance or puffy ‘eye bags’.
- Genetics, lifestyle, environmental exposures and sun damage can all take their toll on the skin of the face and eyes and lead to you wanting an Eyelid Lift.
We are also seeing more people in their twenties, thirties and forties undertake eyelid rejuvenation Blepharoplasty surgery as it has such a naturally rejuvenating but noticeably positive effect on appearance.
Dr Benjamin Burt is our Team’s Eyelid Lift & Eyelid Rejuvenation Surgery Expert for Blepharoplasty
Patient results vary per individual, but a few BEFORE & AFTER image examples of Dr Burt’s eyelid surgery patients are shown below.
Dr Benjamin Burt experience allows him to achieve natural looking, aesthetically pleasing results from Upper Eyelid Lift Surgery and Lower Eyelid Surgery
Example 1: The Younger Patient for Eyelid Surgery
Patients in their 20s, 30s and 40s often seek Eyelid Lift Surgery to have an enhanced platform for makeup or to have a fresher looking appearance.
Example 2: Blepharoplasty Patients in their 30s and 40s
Patients over 35 and 40 often seek Blepharoplasty procedures to rejuvenate their eyelids.
Example 2: Blepharoplasty Patients in their 50s or 60s
Patients over 50 and 60 often seek Blepharoplasty procedures to rejuvenate their eyelids OR to improve vision that has become obscured by sagging upper eyelids. They may also benefit from further facial rejuvenation such as cosmetic injectables or skin resurfacing, depending on their appearance rejuvenation goals.
More Before & After Blepharoplasty Examples*
If you’d like to see more examples of Before & After Eyelid surgery patient photos, visit our online Photo Gallery OR arrange to meet with Dr Burt of his Assistant in our Clinic to see more examples. Phone (03) 8849 1444 to schedule an appointment or find out how to meet Dr Burt at one of our special Events.
- Most of Dr Burt’s patients are happy for him to show you their images in our Clinic, but some patients prefer we don’t publish their images on the global web.
- We have numerous additional example photographs to show you
- You can also ask to speak with a prior patient
*Disclaimer: individual results vary from patient to patient, and there are surgery risks to consider. Be sure to ask about eyelid surgery details during your no-obligation surgical consultation.
Combined Upper & Lower Blepharoplasty for Eyelid Rejuvenation
- Upper and lower eyelid surgery, separately or combined (‘double bleph’), can help to reduce the perception of ageing in appropriate candidates
- Combined Eyelid Surgery can help restore a toned, healthy looking skin area above and below the eye area.
To further refine and rejuvenate the facial appearance and reduce “age lines” around the eyes, wrinkle reduction procedures including injectables, fillers and laser resurfacing options may prove to be of additional benefit.
Your fully-certified Plastic Surgeon can assist you in choosing which specific combination of procedures will bring you the results you are wanting to achieve to revitalise your facial appearance.
Get younger looking eyes from our leading Surgeons
Please contact us to learn how to improve the appearance of the skin around your eyes. Our Eyelid Lift Experts, Team of Facial Plastic Surgeons and Skin Care Injecting Specialists and Dermal Clinicians can help reduce your visible signs of ageing. Phone (03) 8849 1444 during clinic hours or send an enquiry form at the bottom of this page.
There are many complimentary surgical and non-surgical procedures to improve your appearance and help you ‘get back’ what you’re wanting in terms of facial rejuvenation.
Asian Eyelid Surgeries are also an option for Patients in Melbourne
Some patients from Asianbackgrounds may find that modifying the ‘eye fold’ area enhances their appearance.
This form of “Asian blepharoplasty” requires special care and experience to provide the aesthetic outcome patients desire.
Dr Benjamin Burt, Oculoplastic Surgeon in Melbourne is available to perform special eyelid lift surgeries on patients of Asian ethnicity, at their respective Clinic locations.
If you are wanting to create a more open looking eyelid appearance, or a platform to wear certain makeup styles, you may want to consider the special Blepharoplasty procedures specifically designed for Asian patients.
Our approach to recovery is simple. We do whatever we can to get you back to your normal life as soon as possible.
- Our highly-experienced Surgeons are experts at minimising scars and helping you to manage any post-op pain you may have after your Surgery.
- We offer best practice and holistic healing protocols for your post-op surgery care.
- We offer Healite II, Fraxel scar minimisation when required, and proven healing facilitation products in our Rapid Recovery.
NEXT STEPS on your Blepharoplasty Surgery Journey
Visit our FAQs pages, learn more about your procedure, have a look at our photo galleries and patient reviews.
How to Book your Initial Consultation
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1444 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the $200 consultation fee
What to Bring to your Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
Want more information before scheduling your Surgeon consultation?
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
- Organise a phone call with Patient Advisor (FREE)
- Attend our Regular Practice Events and hear from our of Plastic Surgeons and their top support team (FREE)
- Organise a Skype call consultation with a Surgeon (available for Interstate patients)
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – call or contact us
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with one of our expert Specialist Plastic Surgeons, or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.
Send a confidential enquiry form today. Or you can phone us on (03) 8849 1444.
Our Team of Surgeon’s affiliations and membership include:
Funding your Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)
Quality eyelid surgery is available from our Team of Specialists – don’t risk the cheap option that will require expensive revisions and remember, not everything can be fixed. There are a number of funding options available – please read our Surgery Funding Options page to find the best option for you.
Please phone us on (03) 8849 1444 or send an enquiry form to arrange a consultation with one of our top Eyelid Surgeons or Facial Surgery experts to discuss your specific procedure(s).