What is an Asian Double Eyelid Surgery mean?
Asian double eyelid surgery (“Asian Blepharoplasty”) is a surgical variation of an upper eyelid lift procedure. Asian eye lid surgery creates an eyelid crease previously hidden under the epicanthal folds commonly seen on eyelids of individuals with Asian heritage.
Asian ‘Double eyelid’ surgery adjusts the facial feature known as the epicanthal fold.
What is An epicanthal fold?
- The epicanthal fold is the skin fold located near the inner corner of the eyes
- Most commonly seen in people of Asian descent, on some individuals, this eyelid skin fold ‘closes up’ the eye appearance and results in a puffy-looking or visibly-tired appearance.
- Adjusting or reducing the double-eyelid skin fold can have a ‘refreshing’ and ‘brightening’ effect on the eye area and overall facial aesthetics
- Double Eyelid Surgery aesthetically ‘opens up’ the eye area AND can provide a firmer, smoother platform for dramatic eye makeup on the newly formed single eyelid crease
Terminology notes: An epicanthal fold may also be seen in young children before their nose bridge anatomy is fully developed and/or in children with Downs Syndrome.
For other types of Blepharoplasty, click here for the main procedure page. You can also download an eBook explaining surgery details.
Why do people get Asian Double Eyelid Surgery?
Conditions and reasons to have a double eyelid procedure (Asian Blepharoplasty) vary from patient to patient. They may be cosmetic or medical in nature. The KEY REASONS for requesting surgical Double Eyelid Fold adjustments are often cosmetic in nature.
Surgical requests may include:
- wanting a more uniform appearance to the upper eyelids
- creation of a single crease to reduce above-eye skin-folds
- reduction in heavy-looking upper eyelids and reduced puffiness above the eyes
- effectively opening the eyes (aesthetically) where they are partially covered by the skin fold(s)
The Asian double-eyelid reduction technique reduces the epicanthal fold(s) and enhances the eyelid crease.
- This procedure often provides a ‘refreshed’ look to the eye area of the face (upper third)
- It may also help rejuvenate the appearance of the eyes and face
- It is popular with Asian women and men of many ages
Expert Blepharoplasty Surgeon, Oculoplastic Surgeon, Dr Benjamin Burt, FRANZCO/FACS, is one of Melbourne’s most experienced eyelid surgery experts, and performs double-eyelid surgery techniques and Asian Eyelid Surgery at accredited hospitals in Australia.
What’s involved with Asian eyelid surgery?
- The double-eyelid surgery typically involves the creation of a supratarsal crease (supra-tarsal)
- Reducing the epicanthal folds can enhance the eye/eyelid appearance
- Surgery must be carefully performed in order to sustain normal functions of the eyelids
- Surgery may be performed in hospital or in a day theatre; the patient may be under local anaesthetic and sedatives and/or under general anaesthetic.
It’s best to choose an EXPERT Surgeon nearby who is very experienced; because your surgery outcomes involve highly visible areas of your facial appearance.
How long does Asian Eyelid Surgery take?
- Asian Blepharoplasty surgery typically takes from 1 hour to 2 hours, although this can vary
- If lower eyelid surgery is also being performed as well as upper eyelid surgery, allow 2 to 3 hours or more
- Recovery from Asian Blepharoplasty is often 2 weeks (read more below) but can vary
- Incision lines can take several months to fully mature; you will have a thin scar in the eyelid crease, tending to be less visible when makeup is worn
- Surgery results can vary from patient to patient, and all invasive surgery has risks; these will be covered during a consultation.
Does Asian double-eyelid surgery leave a face looking more western in appearance?
- No, not necessarily. While some genetic traits are more prevalent in people with Asian heritage, Asian eyelids can vary in appearance as much as those of people from other heritages.
- Asian eyelid surgery simply aims to enhance the eye area to achieve a more opened eyelid appearance, which also helps create an eyelid crease and smoother ‘eye shadow makeup platform’ for patients.
The secret to a good result from Asian Blepharoplasty is choosing a great surgeon who can provide a natural-looking enhancement that is appropriately balanced with your surrounding features.
- Asian double eyelid surgery surgery aims to ENHANCE the eye area but SUSTAIN natural-looking results
- Patients report they feel their eyes look ‘more awake’ or ‘more refreshed’ – but natural vs over-adjusted.
Tip: Avoid discount surgery with a less-skilled eyelid surgeon who might overly-adjust your eyelids or remove too much skin.
The RISKS of choosing a less-trained, less-skilled surgeon means you COULD end up with higher risks including potentially looking startled rather than refreshed. Click here to read common blepharoplasty surgery risks.
Who performs Asian Double Eyelid Surgery in Melbourne? Surgeon choices
- Several nearby surgeons perform Asian eyelid surgery in Melbourne (Victoria, Australia)
- Not ALL Surgeons have the same levels of skills and expertise
- Because of the RISKS of having any form of eyelid surgery, including asymmetry, be sure you do your RESEARCH on your Surgeon of choice including ONLINE SURGEON REVIEWS to see what former patients are saying about your Surgeon.
- You can also attend events to meet Surgeons at the Cosmetic Surgery for Women & Men Clinic in Hawthorn East (Melbourne) near Richmond, Balwyn, Camberwell and Malvern.
Be sure you understand that results vary from patient to patient and that all invasive surgery has risks.
- Choose a highly experienced Surgeon instead of a junior surgeon or non-specialist
- Consider who is best to see for a second opinion before proceeding.
Double Eyelid Lift Surgeon| Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Dr Benjamin Burt, FRANZCO/FACS, is a highly regarded Oculoplastic Surgeon in Melbourne
- He focuses his entire practice on attaining natural looking eyelid surgery results including Asian double eyelid surgery, upper and lower blepharoplasty and canthoplasty.
So if you want an enhanced eye appearance that still looks natural and balanced with your other facial features, rather than unnatural, be sure you call us on (03) 8849 1444 to visit with our leading eyelid expert.
More information on general eyelid surgery and Asian Eyelid Surgery (Double-Eyelid Reduction surgery or Asian Blepharoplasty) can be found on our Blepharoplasty Surgery page.
Surgeons in Melbourne who perform Asian Double Eyelid Surgery
Melbourne’s expert EYELID SURGEON – Dr Benjamin Burt, FRANZCO/FACS
Call us to book a consultation with our team’s top Oculoplastic Surgeon, Dr Benjamin Burt, FRANZCO/FACS.
- Dr Burt is one of Melbourne’s most sought-after EYELID SURGERY EXPERTS
- He is highly skilled at attaining natural looking blepharoplasty surgery results.
Unsure about which Eyelid procedure is best for you? Schedule a Consultation.
- Consultations are discussion starting points to discuss your options
- Having a consultation shows you what your OPTIONS are and potential outcomes – they do NOT mean you have to go through with surgery or set a date
- Take your time and think it over, and do your research about procedure options (we can provide you with PDF reading materials or search online)
What happens during a consultation
- You’ll fill in your medical forms and meet your Surgeon for an eyelid assessment
- Dr Burt and/or our other Melbourne eyelid Surgeons will be able to assess your existing anatomy, skin condition and your surgery goals to evaluate if you’re a GOOD CANDIDATE for Asian eyelid surgery.
- They’ll suggest the best eyelid surgical techniques to consider for reshaping your upper eyelid(s) through Asian eyelid surgery (if you have under eye puffiness, they may also discuss lower eyelid surgery).
- If you decide to proceed, Surgery schedules may require advanced notice and mandatory waiting periods apply.
- Please follow Preparation and post-surgery guidelines for best results; please contact us for details.
Please Contact Us using the forms on the website or phone (03) 8849 1444.
NOTE FROM THE TEAM at Cosmetic Surgery for Women & Men
* Many patients considering surgery search for online Oculopolastic/Eyelid Surgeon reviews of Melbourne surgeons.
But that’s only ONE WAY of finding out more about your Melbourne Surgeon. You can also attend a MONTHLY INFORMATION EVENING to see our CLINIC and meet our SURGEONS before you schedule a consultation (ask us when Dr Burt is presenting).
It’s also a good idea to review some BEFORE & AFTER EYELID SURGERY PHOTOS. You’ll see even MORE photos in our Clinic during a consultation, where you can ask any and all questions you have about your surgery options, risks, scars and recovery.
Call 0388491444 for more information or downloadable resource materials for Surgery Patients.
Scientific Articles and Peer-Reviewed Literature re Asian Blepharoplasty and Oriental Facial Surgery
How many Asians get double eyelid surgery? Australian Statistics
- Asian eyelid surgery remains the most common cosmetic procedure requested in Asia; and surgery numbers are growing in Melbourne Australia.
- Asian Blepharoplasty is the third most common cosmetic surgery procedure requested by Asians living in Australia and/or the USA (source listed below).
Semin Plast Surg. 2009 Aug; 23(3): 185–197.
(Category: Cosmetic Surgery in the Ethnic Population: Special Considerations and Procedures)
Subcategory: Aesthetic Surgery in Asians
Guest Editors Yu-Ray Chen M.D. Léonard Bergeron M.D., C.M., M.Sc., F.R.C.S.(C)
Larry H. Hollier, Jr., M.D., F.A.C.S., Editor-in-Chief1,2