Armpit area Breast Implant incision and insertion options
Melbourne’s top Surgeon for Transaxillary Incisions (“Asian Breast Surgery”)
What is the armpit method or transaxillary breast implant insertion method for breast augmentation?
- Transaxillary breast augmentation surgery is sometimes referred to as Asian Breast Surgery.
- Transaxillary methods involve an ARMPIT insertion approach to breast implants.
- The armpit-breast implant insertion technique MAY help reduce visible scars under the breast area AND help avoid keliod scars on the breasts of women with higher skin pigmentation, including women with
- This includes breast surgery patients of Asian, Mediterranean, Maori, African, Middle Eastern or Egyptian decent AND/OR women who have keloid scarring tendencies.
The transaxillary breast enlargement technique | Melbourne
For Transaxillary or Asian breast enlargement:
- incisions for insertion of the prosthesis are made in the armpit area
- then the implants are inserted through these incision(s)
- these are then positioned INTO a surgical pocket near the chest wall
Transaxillary Scars from Breast Enlargement
- With the armpit insertion method (transaxillary breast enlargement), no scar is left on your breast area
- There will, however, be a scar in the armpit area
- This scar may be less visible than an under-breast area scar
- may be disguised within skin folds in your armpit area
- may be less visible when arms are by your side
It can only be performed for primary breast augmentation. Sometimes removal of the implants can be performed through the same incision route (ask for Dr Sackelariou or Dr Geoff Barnett, experts in this surgical technique with clinics and operating hospitals available in Melbourne or Sydney).
Is the Transaxillary Insertion Method the best way to reduce breast enlargement scars?
- Yes, for some patients this method is a good way to reduce breast area scars.
- It leaves an incision line scar in the armpit area skin folds, versus under the breast in the breast crease or inframammary fold (IMF).
- Scars can vary in size, shape, width, length or visibility.
When it comes to Plastic Surgery including Breast Enlargement, your Surgeons may aim to place your incision line scars in the natural creases of your body, such as under the breast crease OR in the armpit.
This may help reduce the visibility of your scars.
Can you hide a scar?
- A good Surgeon will typically do their best to hide scars, to the extent possible, WHILE still aiming to get you a great result.
- Sometimes the operation involves a compromise of sorts, between aiming for a good result with a very visible scar, or a less visible scar but a less good result.
- Be sure you DO discuss your preferences with your Plastic Surgeon and ask any and all questions that you have.
- There are also makeups you can wear to disguise a scar (ask about Lycogel or Jane Iredale coverage options).
Scars vs Results
- But when it comes to hiding scars, some surgery scars simply can’t be adjusted to a less visible place.
- For many procedures, incision lines NEED to be in more visible places to get the best shaping results.
- It can become a compromise between RESULTS vs SCARS.
- So the aim of minimising scars by strategic placement doesn’t apply to ALL surgeries.
- Some surgery – a Tummy Tuck for example – will leave a quite visible scar on the lower abdomen or above the pubic bone.
- Ask your Surgeon about his or her SCAR MANAGEMENT protocol – there are a few things you may be able to DO to minimise your scarring visibility, such as silicone strips, Fraxel or Skin-needling.
Breast Augmentation Scars: Under the Breast or in the Armpit?
For breast surgery scars, you may have another option than on the front of the body – the transaxillary or armpit incision method for breast augmentation.
Asian Breast Augmentation Surgery – Melbourne & Sydney Options
Asian Breast Augmentation Surgery for No Scar Under the Breast Area – instead, it’s in the armpit crease
- This alternative method for breast augmentation incisions may be an ideal alternative for people with melanin-rich skin.
- But results can vary from patient to patients, and all invasive surgery has risks.
- Ask your Surgeon for details.
The Armpit Breast Enlargement Approach (First Time Breast Surgery Only) for Asians and Others prone to Keloid Scars
Unique Incision Strategy for Asian Skin and other Melanin-rich Skin Types
Find out more by phoning us on (03) 8849 1444 and asking about the Armpit Incision Method or Transaxillary Method of inserting breast implants.
Who performs Transaxillary (Armpit) Insertion Methods for Breast Enlargement in Melbourne?
Dr Richard Sackelariou, MBBS (FRACS) Specialist Plastic Surgeon
- He is highly respected for his expertise in Asian / Transaxillary Breast Augmentation procedures (using armpit insertion points) as well as other forms of breast surgery including breast lifts or breast reductions as well as combined procedures.
- He is also very adept at facial feature augmentation such as Rhinoplasty, Eyelid Surgery, Chin Augmentation, Lip Lift surgery and surgical Facial enhancements.
Meet Dr Sackelariou – a world-trained, highly experienced and FRACS recognised Specialist Plastic Surgeon with expertise in Asian Breast Augmentation procedures and other complex cosmetic plastic surgery operations for the breast, face and nose. Click here for more information on this top Melbourne & Sydney Specialist Plastic Surgeon.
Dr Geoff Barnett, MBBS (FRACS) Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Barnett (a Melbourne based Specialist Plastic Surgeon with full FRACS qualifications) also performs transaxillary breast augmentations and other breast, body and face surgeries. Click here for more information on Dr Barnett including his body contouring procedures for post-weight loss patients.
Armpit Incisions are not ONLY For ASIAN patients – others may want them also.
Book a consultation by phoning (03) 8849 1444 and asking to see our Transaxillary Surgery experts for Breast Augmentation.
- Primary breast implant surgery only (if your surgery is for a revision or removal and replacement of breast implants, you will require an inframmary incision approach or non-transaxillary method).
- In addition to transaxillary/armpit insertion methods for breast implants, Dr Barnett and Dr Sackelariou perform inframammary-fold incisions and sub-facial placement strategies, breast lift surgery to improve sagging breasts after pregnancy or menopause, breast reduction surgery (Reduction Mammoplasty) or Mastopexy-Augmentation (a breast lift with added breast volume using breast implants, for women who want a nipple lift or breast lift and a larger bra cup size).
Where is the armpit incision or armpit scar made for Asian breast enlargement?
Illustration of armpit area incision for Transaxillary Breast Enlargement
The Transaxillary or “TA” method of implant insertion involves making incisions along the armpit areas of each arm, then carefully inserting the implant through those incisions and into place on the chest wall (potentially a sub-facial placement).
Is this a “No Scar Method” for Breast Augmentation?
- It’s actually not accurate to imply the “no scar method” leaves zero scars.
- It’s just that these scars are not in the usual place after breast implants are inserted.
- Instead, the incision line scars are in the armpit or under arm area of the body.
It leaves NO SCARS under the breast after breast augmentation surgery; instead, the incision line scar will be in the armpit area and for many patients, disguised in the armpit skin folds when the arms are at rest.
Read our other top rated Plastic Surgery blogs on:
Photographic Illustration of the Transaxillary Incision versus the Inframammary Incision or Periareolar Incision
The image above (all rights reserved) shows the early stages of healing of an armpit incision (armpit breast augmentation scar) at approximately 8 weeks after surgery.
This scar will continue to fade and will be significantly less visible at 9 to 12 months after surgery.
We have special guides and helpful tips for reducing scarring after your surgery; phone us on (03) 8849 1444 or send an enquiry form today and ask us for our helpful guides including recovery and healing tips from augmentation breast surgery.
We also work to ensure a natural looking breast enlargement (breast augmentation) surgery result that suits your entire physique.
Ask our Surgeons for more information on how they minimise scars after Breast Enlargement surgery with the inframammary incision method or the transaxillary (armpit) incision placement method of quality brand Breast Implants.
Send an enquiry form today and a caring and knowledgeable Patient Care Coordinator can answer your questions – no obligation consultations are also available to learn about your options!
Visit our Downloadables pages for a SURGERY e-Book Guide.
For more information about Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery options and research in Australia.
We look forward to hearing from you and we’re happy to help you learn more about your breast augmentation surgery options.
Want more information before scheduling a consultation with your Surgeon?
* DOWNLOAD A GUIDE about the procedure or contact us
* Book a 15 MIN CHAT with the Patient Care Team
* Attend a FREE MONTHLY INFORMATION EVENING and hear from our Team of Specialist Plastic Surgeons and past patients.
Please Contact Us using the form below to arrange a consultation with one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons or to speak with our Patient Care Team on (03) 8849 1444
Our team of Specialist Plastic Surgeons’ affiliations include:
Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (Find specialist plastic surgeons), Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (Patient Safety Regulated by Plastic Surgery Regulation Laws), Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (Information for patients), Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency AHPRA (Register of practitioners), Health Victoria (The Department of Health and Human Services)