Armpit Breast Augmentation: The Transaxillary Incision Approach to Breast Enlargement Surgery using Breast Implants
Transaxillary Breast Implants: Armpit Incisions vs Inframammary Fold Incisions
Many people ask about what scars they will have after they undergo breast augmentation. You will have a scar after any surgical incision, including breast surgery, but breast augmentation scars can vary in size, width, depth, colour and visibility.
When it comes to Plastic Surgery such as Breast Augmentation, many surgery incisions and related scars are aimed to be hidden – or somewhat disguised – in the natural creases of the body, such as under the breast crease or in the armpit.
A good Surgeon will typically do their best to hide scars, to the extent possible, WHILE still aiming to get you a great result. Sometimes the operation involves a compromise of sorts, between aiming for a good result with a very visible scar, or a less visible scar but a less good result. Be sure you DO discuss your preferences with your Plastic Surgeon and ask any and all questions that you have.
But when it comes to hiding scars, some surgery scars simply can’t be adjusted to a less visible place. So the aim of minimising scars by strategic placement doesn’t apply to ALL surgeries. Some surgery – a Tummy Tuck for example – will leave a quite visible scar on the lower abdomen or above the pubic bone.
Breast Augmentation Scars: Under the Breast or in the Armpit?
Plus, some patients are prone to keloid scars. But for breast surgery scars, you may have another option than on the front of the body – the transaxillary or armpit incision method for breast augmentation.
Sometimes scars can be made less conspicuous by placing the breast implant incision(s) below the breasts (in what’s called the inframammary crease). Or – for some patients – the incisions may be made in the armpit area to insert the implants in a way that leaves a less noticeable scar (known as a Transaxillary Incision or Transaxillary Breast Augmentation surgery).
Asian Breast Augmentation Surgery – Melbourne & Sydney Options
Transaxillary Breast Augmentation Surgery: Asian Breast Surgery
When it comes to breast augmentation (enlargement) cosmetic plastic surgery using quality breast implants (such as Mentor or Motiva), there is a unique incision strategy for people who are prone to highly visible scars or keloid scarring, such as Asian patients.
In Melbourne, Asian Breast surgery is offered by Specialist Plastic Surgeon, Dr Richard Sackelariou and by Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Geoff Barnett.
For Sydney patients or people based in both Sydney-and-Melbourne, ask for Dr Richard Sackelariou.
Asian Breast Augmentation Surgery for No Scar Under the Breast Area – instead, it’s in the armpit crease
- This alternative method for breast augmentation incisions may be an ideal alternative for people with melanin-rich skin.
- This includes breast surgery patients of Asian, Mediterranean, Maori, African, Middle Eastern or Egyptian decent.
- It involves the armpit incision option for breast implants; and it is called the Transaxillary Implant Incision method or the “armpit breast augmentation method”.
The Armpit Breast Enlargement Approach (First Time Breast Surgery Only) for Asians and Others prone to Keloid Scars
Unique Incision Strategy for Asian Skin and other Melanin-rich Skin Types
Asians may have higher tendencies for visible or raised scarring, such as keloid scars. Many Asians hence seek this alternative approach for breast surgery – the armpit incision method performed by Dr Richard Sackelariou or Dr Geoff Barnett.
Asian Breast Surgery expert Dr Sackelariou recommended patients take into account their scar tendencies PRIOR to deciding what type of incision placement options will suit them.
“People who are concerned about their scar formations after surgery,” notes Dr Sackelariou, “including women of Asian heritage and individuals with more pigmented skin types, may opt for a different insertion method for their breast implants. That’s the transaxillary method for primary augmentation procedures.”
Transaxillary Breast Augmentation Technique: This is also called the armpit incision method vs the inframmary fold incision method.
Armpit area incisions may offer some distinct advantages to women who are prone to very visible scarring but still want breast implants: and/or for women who want no breast augmentation scars on the front of their bodies including under their breasts.
Find out more by phoning us on (03) 8849 1444 and asking about the Armpit Incision Method or Transaxillary Method of inserting breast implants.
Asian Breast Surgery – Dr Richard Sackelariou and Dr Geoff Barnett are our Clinic’s recommended Specialist Plastic Surgeons for Breast Implants using the Transaxillary Incision or “armpit incision” breast implant placement method.
- He is highly respected for his expertise in Asian / Transaxillary Breast Augmentation procedures (using armpit insertion points) as well as other forms of breast surgery including breast lifts or breast reductions as well as combined procedures.
- He is also very adept at facial feature augmentation such as Rhinoplasty, Eyelid Surgery, Chin Augmentation, Lip Lift surgery and surgical Facial enhancements.
Dr Sackelariou’s schedule in Melbourne fills up quickly, so please phone (03) 8849 1444 to schedule a no-obligation consultation for your breast augmentation procedure.
Meet Dr Sackelariou – a world-trained, highly experienced and FRACS recognised Specialist Plastic Surgeon with expertise in Asian Breast Augmentation procedures and other complex cosmetic plastic surgery operations for the breast, face and nose. Click here for more information on this top Melbourne & Sydney Specialist Plastic Surgeon.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Barnett (a Melbourne based Specialist Plastic Surgeon with full FRACS qualifications) also performs transaxillary breast augmentations and other breast, body and face surgeries. Click here for more information on Dr Barnett including his body contouring procedures for post-weight loss patients.
Armpit Incisions are not ONLY For ASIAN patients – others may want them also.
Book a consultation by phoning (03) 8849 1444 and asking to see our Transaxillary Surgery experts for Breast Augmentation. Primary breast implant surgery only (if your surgery is for a revision or removal and replacement of breast implants, you will require an inframmary incision approach or non-transaxillary method).
In addition to transaxillary/armpit insertion methods for breast implants, Dr Barnett and Dr Sackelariou perform inframammary-fold incisions and sub-facial placement strategies, breast lift surgery to improve sagging breasts after pregnancy or menopause, breast reduction surgery (Reduction Mammoplasty) or Mastopexy-Augmentation (a breast lift with added breast volume using breast implants, for women who want a nipple lift or breast lift and a larger bra cup size).
Patient Ages and other conditions
- Our Surgeons also treat patients of a wide range of ages and lifestyles, from age 18 to well over 70, including offering Body Contouring Surgery, Breast Enhancement procedures and Facial Rejuvenation surgeries such as Facelift, Neck lift and Eye lid reduction surgery (Blepharoplasty procedures).
- If you have sagging upper arm skin, ask Dr Barnett about his arm reduction procedures (Brachioplasty Surgery).
- If you would also like your nose reshaped through Rhinoplasty, ask for Dr Richard Sackelariou, Dr Douglas McManamny, Dr Maxwell or Dr Geoff Barnett.
- For eyelid surgery, ask for Dr Benjamin Burt (eyelids and brows), Dr Douglas McManamny (facelift and eyelids combined), Dr Geoff Barnett (facelift and eyelids combined), or Dr Richard Sackelariou (Facial rejuvenation in Sydney and Melbourne including Eyelid Procedures).
Meet our Specialist Melbourne Surgeon for Breast Enlargement and Transaxillary (Armpit) Incision Breast Augmentation
You can schedule a no obligation consultation to discuss your unique surgery aims with our leading Asian Breast Surgery experts, Dr Richard Sackelariou (Melbourne and Sydney) or with Dr Geoff Barnett (Melbourne) by phoning a Patient Care Coordinator or Practice Nurse on (03) 8849 1444.
“No Scar Breast Augmentation” – The Transaxillary Armpit Breast Augmentation: The “TA” method of Breast Implant Insertion
- As above, although armpit area breast augmentation surgery incision methods can help disguise the scar after having breast implants, ALL Surgery leaves a scar.
- The question is not if there will be a scar or not after breast surgery, but where it will be, and to what degree it will be visible to others.
- If you don’t want a scar on the front of your body after having implants, ask if you can be recommended for a Transaxillary Incision method augmentation procedure.
The Transaxillary or “TA” method of implant insertion involves making incisions along the armpit areas of each arm, then carefully inserting the implant through those incisions and into place on the chest wall (potentially a sub-facial placement).
“No Scar Method of Breast Augmentation” – Transaxillary Scars instead of Under Breast Scars
It’s actually not accurate to imply the “no scar method” leaves zero scars; it’s just that these scars are not in the usual place after breast implants are inserted. Instead, the incision line scars are in the armpit or under arm area of the body.
It leaves NO SCARS under the breast after breast augmentation surgery; instead, the incision line scar will be in the armpit area and for many patients, disguised in the armpit skin folds when the arms are at rest.
But ask your Specialist Plastic Surgeon (Dr Richard Sackelariou or Dr Geoff Barnett) about your particular physique and breast augmentation goals.
Good communication is important, as each breast surgery is customised to suit each individual patient, including their overall physique.
Read our other top rated Plastic Surgery blogs on:
Armpit Incision Scars after Breast Augmentation
Armpit incision scars, as with most surgery scars, heal over time and often tend to fade within 9 to 12 months. But every patient is different and results can vary, so discuss your concerns and your scar healing history with Dr Barnett to choose the best type of incision for YOUR needs and YOUR goals for your Breast Enlargement surgery. It’s also good to have realistic expectations about scars and know that some of our pre-surgery and post-surgery protocols can really help you to minimise them over time. We may also offer HEALITE II Low-Level Light Therapy Sessions or Rapid Recovery packs depending on your surgery needs and your skin health.
What are the benefits of Transaxillary Incisions for BREAST IMPLANT placements in people with melanin-rich skin (including some of the more pigment-rich skin tones seen on women with some of the more golden or golden-brown Asian, Maori or Middle Eastern skin types)?
- Using the Transaxillary (Armpit incision) method for breast implants may help reduce visible scarring for women with skin tones prone to lighter scars or prone to keloid types of scarring.
- This armpit incision and breast implant insertion method can be a preferred surgical option for placing breast implants into patients who have golden, brown or darker skin that shows surgical scars more readily than lighter skin.
- Placing implants through the armpit can result in less noticeable scars because they are in the armpit area rather than on the chest or breast area
- Armpit scars may help reduce the appearance of having had breast enlargement surgery or help you disguise that you’ve had surgery if you are concerned about scars in the inframammary fold (these tend to fade to quite minimal scars for a number of patients, and are readily covered by a bra or bikini, but some patients want scar-less breast surgery – since there isn’t an option for NO SCAR surgery given the body must recover from an incision, the armpit breast implant option just gives patients a choice for where they want their scars to be.
It’s important to understand that this is a complex Surgery you’ll want a highly experienced Plastic Surgeon and Specialist to perform, and that this surgery can only be performed as a primary breast augmentation procedure. This means that for future breast surgery or removal and replacement of the implants, future incisions will need to be made along the inframammary fold or “IMF” (under the breast, with insertion or removal scars often hidden by breast tissues).
Illustration of the Transaxillary Incision versus the Inframammary Incision or Periareolar Incision
The image above shows the early stages of healing of an armpit incision (armpit breast augmentation scar) at approximately 8 weeks after surgery. This scar will continue to fade and will be significantly less visible at 9 to 12 months after surgery.
Breast Surgery Scars after Augmentation using Implants – Healing and Recovery
A note about Scars after Breast Augmentation Surgery including Armpit Incision Augmentation or Inframammary Incision Implant Placement
Scars are evidence of your body’s natural healing processes after you have surgery or other penetration of the skin’s surface. You cannot heal from an incision, nor from most deep skin wounds, without your body forming some type of scar.
However, surgical scars can sometimes be minimised in a number of different ways, including following pre-surgery and post-surgery protocols, trying silicone strips or special ointments to minimise scars, or even light based or DermaPen types of scar treatments after you’ve had surgery.
Whether you choose to have an Inframammary Fold Incision or an Armpit Incision for your primary breast implants (your first breast enlargement surgery), our Surgeons take great care to help you to minimise your scars.
We have special guides and helpful tips for reducing scarring after your surgery; phone us on (03) 8849 1444 or send an enquiry form today and ask us for our helpful guides including recovery and healing tips from augmentation breast surgery.
We also work to ensure a natural looking breast enlargement (breast augmentation) surgery result that suits your entire physique.
Ask our Surgeons for more information on how they minimise scars after Breast Enlargement surgery with the inframammary incision method or the transaxillary (armpit) incision placement method of quality brand Breast Implants.
Send an enquiry form today and a caring and knowledgeable Patient Care Coordinator can answer your questions – no obligation consultations are also available to learn about your options!
We offer Armpit breast augmentation (Asian Breast Surgery) as well as inframammary incision placement of best known Australian-available breast prosthesis (rupture-resistant, cohesive gel/silicone gel breast implants). Our Surgeon’s prefer either Motiva breast implants or Mentor breast implants – ask them for details on why they use these reputable, quality implant brands with high success rates for longevity and stability of results.
But remember, every patient’s surgery experience is unique.
READ our FREE GUIDES for more information and be sure to phone us on (03) 8849 1444 to schedule your consultation (or send us an enquiry form).
Visit our Downloadable Guides pages
For more information about Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery options and research in Australia.
Ask us for details when you send your enquiry, or register to attend a FREE event for further information.
We look forward to hearing from you and we’re happy to help you learn more about your breast augmentation surgery options.