Are you a candidate for a “Tummy Tuck” Abdominoplasty Procedure?
Are you concerned about having:
- excess, baggy skin hanging around your tummy area?
- lax abdominal muscles after pregnancy?
- a protruding belly that lacks a feminine shape?
- a bulging ‘stomach apron’?
- stubborn fat and saggy skin tissue around what was once a more defined waistline?
- an indistinguishable waistline or protruding stomach that looks like you still might be about to give birth long after you last had a child?
DRAIN-FREE precision contouring Tummy Tuck procedures can help you get a firmer, flatter tummy after pregnancy, weight fluctuations or menopause
Our leading Plastic Surgeons for Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Surgery in Melbourne are Specialists for Abdominoplasty surgeries for women and men.
Body contouring and body shaping surgeries, either on their own or incorporating liposuction, can sometimes be necessary to get a great tummy result after:
- weight fluctuations
- prior abdominal surgery that failed to repair stomach muscles or remove sufficient fat
- Bariatric surgery that has resulted in residual skin folds
An Abdominoplasty “Tummy Tuck” procedure can help you to regain:
- flatter stomach contours
- smoother, tighter belly skin
- a curvier, natural looking waistline without sagging folds of skin
- a more attractive and natural-looking naval area
- more choices in swimwear, lingerie and other fashions
- body confidence
- a restored sense of femininity
- greater abdominal muscle control (which can help improve bladder weakness)
Why do so many people get Tummy Tucks?
Having excess, saggy skin and a ‘stomach apron’ can feel deflating for some Mums, especially those who prided themselves on keeping fit before and during their pregnancy.
Many women blog (in community forums) that they feel a renewed sense of body confidence or femininity – even a restored sense of feminine sexiness – after they get their stomachs ‘back in shape’ again by removing excess skin folds and repairing torn abdominal muscles.
Read our Patient experience stories on our Blog or ask our Patient Care Advisors to put you in touch with a patient(s) who’s had the procedure and is happy to share their experience with you. Our Surgeons are also happy to answer your questions in either a private consultation OR at one of our special Practice Events (FREE attendance but reservations are required).
There are a few different types of tummy tuck procedures. Your Surgeon will help you assess which procedure can get you the best outcomes to meet your concerns about your abdominal area.
Overall, we understand that:
- Most patients want their Tummy Tuck surgery done without the use of uncomfortable surgical drains
- Our Surgeons have advanced and precise tummy tuck techniques that permit “DRAIN FREE” Tummy Tuck surgery for most patients
- Most patients want minimal scarring where this is possible
- All surgeries involve scars, especially a Tummy Tuck procedure – and scars do minimise over time with proper care and patience
- Our Surgeons always strive to get you the minimal possible scarring
- Our Melbourne Plastic Surgeons offer FREE Fraxel treatments for scar minimisation during the Tummy Tuck follow up care period
Our Surgeon’s regularly perform NO DRAIN procedures for Tummy Tucks as well as Breast Lifts and other Body and Breast Contouring Surgeries.
Ask your Surgeon or a Patient Care Coordinator for more details about whether or not you’re a candidate for a Tummy Tuck procedure or a complete Mummy Makeover procedure.
Why DRAIN-FREE procedures for Tummy Tucks
Drain free surgery procedures not only help with post-surgical healing and recovery processes, we understand that Abdominoplasty drains are often very uncomfortable for patients. It is also a risk that drains themselves can be the source site for infections.
So where ever possible, NO DRAIN procedures are used and our Team of Surgeons are experts at procedures to help you get the best surgical results from Abdominoplasty (including minimisation of scars using Fraxel).
The Mummy Makeover Option
Breast & Tummy Surgery Combinations
Many women who want a Tummy Tuck procedure have also become a bit unhappy about what pregnancy, breast-feeding or gravity has done to their breasts.
They may have droopy breasts or breasts that have lost their shape and firmness.
Or they may have breasts which lack attractive cleavage, with nipples pointing downwards.
This can result in empty-looking breast tissue or sagging breast skin, and leave women looking a lot older than they actually are.
Drooping breasts come in varying degrees.
Fortunately, there are excellent solutions to help re-position and reshape the breasts and nipples that are drooping severely.
Combined Procedure Options to treat sagging Breast Tissue and Stomach Skin
If you’re concerned about breasts and tummy changes after pregnancy, a combined Breast Lift (with or without augmentation or reduction) with Abdominoplasty can help
These combined procedures are often referred to as a “Mummy Makeover” surgery procedure — which may involve a series of sequential surgeries to help you get the specific body-makeover look you’re wanting after having children.” Please note that individual surgical outcomes can vary significantly from patient to patient. Our Disclaimer page has additional information.
Be sure to discuss your expectations – including what you believe would be the best result for your surgery – with your Surgeon, who can help you assess whether your surgery expectations are:
(a) achievable through Surgery
(b) realistic for your body shape, fitness levels or overall physique
(c) the best option in comparison with other types of procedures (such as a a Circumferential Abdominoplasty)
And we welcome you to arrange a chat with a Patient Care Advisor if you want your preliminary questions answered, before booking a confidential consultation with one of our leading Body Surgery Specialists for a Mummy Makeover procedures.
Our Specialist Plastic Surgeons are leading Breast Specialists as well as experts in Tummy Tuck procedures and Mummy Makeovers.
One of our leading Surgeons who particularly specialises in combined ‘Mummy Makeover’ Surgeries for Tummy & Breasts for Mums are:
- Dr Craig Rubinstein and Dr Douglas McManamny are Mummy Makeover Specialists in Hawthorn East
- Dr Tom Robbins performs Mummy Makeover Surgery in Berwick and Frankston (Mornington Peninsula area of Victoria)
- Dr Richard Maxwell and Dr Geoff Barnett are Body Lift Specialists for post-weight loss patients and see patients in Hawthorn (both), Berwick (Dr Barnett) or Williamston (Dr Maxwell)
Our Specialist Surgeons (Dr Rubinstein, Dr McManamny, Dr Geoff Barnett, Dr Tom Robbins and Dr Richard Maxwell) are also Specialists in Breast Lift, Reduction and Breast Augmentation as well as Abdominoplasty procedures.
If you’re not sure which Specialist Plastic Surgeon to select, a Patient Care Advisor can help answer your questions and help you decide which particular Surgeon will best suit your physique concerns, communication style, preferred procedures and overall appearance goals.
Rejuvenate your Overall Appearance with Facial Enhancement and Body Shaping Options
Body Surgery specialty surgeries include several types of Tummy Tucks, Arm & Thigh Lifts, Body Lifts, excess skin removal after weight loss, Liposuction procedures and Belt Lipectomy surgery. Our leading Plastic Surgeons in Melbourne are also experts at Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery for the Face including Nose Reshaping Surgery (Rhinoplasty).
Several Surgeons are highly-renowned for their Revisional Rhinoplasty and Revisional Breast & Tummy Surgery expertise, as well Implant Removal and Replacement and other complex Breast procedures.
Do you want skin rejuvenation to complement your makeover surgery or Tummy Tuck?
Your Surgeon and the Melbourne & Berwick based Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing Team can provide the latest in non-surgical rejuvenation treatments.
This team also helps to minimise any post-surgical scarring from the surgical incisions (which for Tummy Tucks, is often positioned so as to be able to be hidden under the bikini line or undergarment area, and for which we offer Fraxel scar minimisation INCLUDED at no extra charge as part of your post-op healing care in Melbourne).
All patient outcomes vary, but with a Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Procedure, our Melbourne Plastic Surgeons can typically help to:
- reshape your body to get you a flatter, tighter-looking abdominal area
- restore your waistline contours post-pregnancy or after menopause
- reduce excess baggy skin after significant weight-loss
- repair torn abdominal muscles, abdominal hernias and umbilical hernias
You may be an ideal candidate for a Tummy Tuck or Mummy Makeover if you:
- You miss having a defined waist contour and you’re generally fit and healthy – but exercise doesn’t seem to make much difference in your belly area
- You want your waist to be smaller than your hips
- You want to reduce the tummy-pouch appearance of a bulging post-pregnancy or post-menopausal belly
- You want to reduce loose, baggy-looking stomach skin folds after weight change
- You have a stable weight, are a non-smoker and are in generally good health
- You care about improving your appearance and want to get your body-confidence back again after becoming a Mum
Are you considering having a Tummy Tuck procedure?
Here are the common reasons people seek Abdominoplasty procedures to re-shape and contour their waistline
- provides balanced waist-to-hip ratios and restores feminine curves
- repairs abdominal muscle separation (damage) during pregnancy or childbirth
- reduces excess fat and loose skin folds such as often occur after weight loss or post-pregnancy
- reduces the overhanging stomach apron
- restores a more smoother, tighter tummy and restores body-confidence
- more freedom to wear different fashion styles
- less likely to hide behind baggy or daggy clothing
Has post-pregnancy resulted in being unhappy with your body? It’s not uncommon.
We can help.
- Sad or depressed about your changed physique?
- Embarrassed about having a ‘muffin top’?
- Feeling you look less feminine with a flabby tummy and no defined waistline?
- Dreading summer or having to buy looser clothes?
- Not wanting to go to the beach?
A Tummy Tuck can help you get your body – and body confidence – back again.
Sometimes Healthy Living & Exercising Regularly just can’t help to Remove Excess Skin – But a Tummy Tuck can Help
You’re likely a candidate for a TUMMY TUCK by our leading Surgeons if:
- You’ve reached your goal weight, the dedication in the gym, focus on nutrition and healthy lifestyle have paid off.
- Or perhaps following pregnancy, you’ve worked hard to get your body back into shape. But your body shape does not show all your hard work, and how you look on the outside, does not reflect how you feel on the inside.
- With excess skin folds and saggy skin around your stomach, you don’t feel fully satisfied or able to celebrate all of your hard work in getting your body into shape or losing weight.
But that’s where a Tummy Tuck procedure or other body contouring surgery can really help you get the shape you are wanting — to help you “get your body and your feminine confidence back”.
Post-Pregnancy and other Weight Changes: Impact on Tummy and Breasts
Many women find that, following pregnancy or significant weight loss — they are left with excessive, droopy, sagging or loose stomach skin.
If you’re struggling with these body changes, connect with one of our leading Plastic Surgeons to see if a Tummy Tuck or Breast enhancement surgery can help. More on the surgery types below as well as on our procedure pages.
Be sure you read our Disclaimer pages also – for individual results can vary significantly from patient to patient and each and every procedure is uniquely planned.
Help – my tummy looks like I’m still pregnant! But I had my last child over five years ago.”
We hear this a lot from Mums who’s tummy’s have lost laxity and firmness or who’ve been left with excess, loose and draping stomach skin.
You may also have exercise-resistant deposits of fat around your abdomen along with numerous, highly-visible stretchmarks.
Post-baby bodies can also leave you with droopy, sagging breasts, flappy upper arm skin and other unsightly or undesired body changes.
These stubborn areas and skin folds can be hard to shift with exercise and weight management strategies on their own. Surgical assistance may be necessary to get the body-recovery or abdominal-area tightness you desire.
Sadly, skin cannot be exercised away. If your abdominal muscles became damaged or your skin became severely saggy after pregnancy, you will always have a bulging belly unless your abdominal muscles are repaired and the excess skin removed.
Which of the Procedures will get you the best results for YOUR concerns is something to discuss with your Surgeon, who can help you understand what certain procedures can – and cannot – accomplish for your specific concerns and physique.
There are usually different approaches available, but your Surgeon will help you understand which of these will help you get the best Results from your Abdominoplasty surgery or excess skin-reduction procedures.
If you’re considering Surgery with a non-Plastic Surgeon, be sure to assess whether your Surgeon will perform a complete abdominal muscle repair surgery OR just the removal of the tummy apron. Without abdominal repair, many patients are unhappy with their tummy tucks -that’s why having a Plastic Surgeon who doesn’t take shortcuts is important. Read the blog on a patient experience with different types of Tummy Tucks.
Our leading Plastic Surgeons offer abdominal muscle repair and precise stomach contouring for Tummy Tuck procedures — to help you get the best possible natural-looking results from your procedure.
What is Tummy Tuck ABDOMINOPLASTY surgery?
An Abdominoplasty is a surgical procedure focused on the removal of excess fat and loose skin around the stomach area.
A Tummy Tuck Surgery by an adept Plastic Surgeon will also often include a full repair to your Abdominal muscles, which often become separated or damaged during pregnancy, and which lead to the ‘post-baby’ tummy bulge and sagging skin.
Muscle-repair during a Tummy Tuck also helps strengthen your Abdominal area and helps restore your ability to gain your “core strength” back – through exercise after your recovery period – where the exercise may have been quite limited in effectiveness prior to abdominal muscle repair.
Tummy Tuck outcomes? Whilst they vary from patient to patient, having stronger abdominal muscles and reduced skin folds tends to give a smoother, flatter-looking ‘firmer’ tummy area.
Our Surgeons are highly skilled at helping you get your abdominal area and breasts more towards what they looked like before your pregnancy or weight change.
Read more about Breast procedures on our Breast Surgery pages.
*Individual results can vary significantly between patients. Please read our Disclaimer pages and discuss your expectations with your Surgeon to be sure you have realistic and achievable expectations of what surgery can — and cannot — accomplish in terms of your body appearance goals.
Exercise doesn’t always help you get your body back – you can’t exercise stretched tummy or breast skin back into shape
Women are often told that staying in shape and maintaining your body weight is the best way to achieve a flat and toned abdomen.
What they are finding after pregnancy, menopause or other weight changes is that exercise and good nutrition will only get you so far.
Sometimes additional assistance is needed to shift stubborn fat deposits or tighten skin that has lost elasticity.
Whether your tummy ‘pouch’ or saggy, crinkled abdominal skin has occurred due to a significant weight fluctuation (such as after gastric banding), pregnancy, ageing or heredity, our Surgeons can help.
A Tummy Tuck can help remove excess, sagging stomach skin, exercise-resistant abdominal fat, and skin folds that no amount of exercise can help.
It also can repair and strengthen core abdominal muscles, which often need repair during the Tummy Tuck procedure. This is often an involved process, a surgical procedure that may involve about three stages of abdominal muscle repair — and which requires a highly-skilled and experienced Plastic Surgeon for the best Tummy Tuck results.
Look at this BEFORE SURGERY photo of an actual Abdominoplasty patient of Dr Craig Rubinstein, who had a first Tummy Tuck with a Surgeon who did not repair her abdominal muscles and only removed the apron. This is why it’s best to choose a Qualified Plastic Surgeon with extensive experience in getting patients the results they are wanting from a surgical procedure.
Not all Surgeon’s perform or include abdominal muscle repair in their procedures or quotes. We hear from a number of patients who had operations overseas or by non-Specialist Plastic Surgeons, and who were not happy with their earlier surgery results. (Read the blog of one patient’s experience with a general surgeon Tummy Tuck, where her abdominal muscles were not repaired – she had to undergo a second Tummy Tuck to get the results she wanted).
We find this scenario often occurs because the needed abdominal repair was either not performed (or not performed in the manner that a Specialist Plastic Surgeon would do).
This is the same patient’s 3-month post-op photo, after her Tummy Tuck with Dr Rubinstein.
(Note that patient results can vary significantly from patient to patient).
The scars are permanent, but will fade over the 12 months of surgery, helped along by the FREE FRAXEL treatments we offer our Tummy Tuck patients after their Abdominoplasty procedures. It is, however, very important to have realistic expectations about surgery outcomes as well as surgical risks, both of which will depend partially on:
- your overall health,
- your skin and BMI,
- the extent of the damage to your abdominal muscles and
- other factors that can influence your surgery and healing process
- your genetics in terms of recovery and scarring
Your outcome may also be influenced by whether or not you follow your Surgeon’s post-op instructions closely, such as Rapid Recovery protocls and your wearing of the right support garments for the designated period of time. It also helps to follow a nutritionally-healthy eating plan and to keep your weight stable after your surgery.
Our Surgeons are extremely dedicated to helping you to get a flatter, firmer and contoured abdominal area (waistline) and remove the excess skin folds and stubborn fat from your Tummy Area, so that you feel great about your body again after having children.
What Tummy Tucks Won’t Do For Your Body
A Tummy Tuck surgery is NOT an alternative to weight loss or to exercise.
- If you are still carrying a lot of excess weight, you may not be an ideal candidate for a Tummy Tuck yet.
- Our Surgeons can still help guide you in the best preparation for a Tummy Tuck surgery so you can get the best result when you are ready for your procedure.
- The best preparation for a Tummy Tuck surgery usually involves healthy nutritional intake, a healthy lifestyle, regular exercise and sufficient water intake.
- If you have had gastric banding surgery, our Body Lift Surgery experts can further assist you in preparing for your body lift surgery procedures including Tummy Tuck surgery.
A Tummy Tuck will tend to give you lasting results so long as you maintain a stable weight and continue to live healthily and exercise regularly.
If you are not wanting (or unable) to maintain a stable weight after a Tummy Tuck, then this procedure may not suit your long-term aims.
It is also not a good procedure for people who are smoking or who plan to have additional children over the next few years.
A Tummy Tuck is best performed by your Plastic Surgeon AFTER you have finished having your children.
If you want to learn more about a Tummy Tuck procedure and what it can help you achieve, send a Confidential enquiry form.
You are also welcome to attend one of our Free Events to meet our Surgeons and learn more about getting ready for your Tummy Tuck procedure.
Ideal Patient for Best Tummy Tuck Procedure Outcomes
The ideal patient for Abdominoplasty Surgery is someone who is feeling fit and well, is in generally good physical and psychological shape, and has concerns about loose skin around their stomach area.
Should you get a Tummy Tuck before having more children?
Women who are thinking about future pregnancies are advised to delay having their Tummy Tuck Surgery until after they have finished having children and their family is complete.
- This is because of the large changes the body goes through during pregnancy, which may have adverse effects on the results of a tummy tuck.
Does a Tummy Tuck remove Stretch Marks from Pregnancy?
- Abdominoplasty surgery is generally unable to correct stretch marks.
- Following surgery, however, you may see an improvement to stretch marks IF they are located in the area of excess skin that is being treated by a Tummy Tuck procedure.
- Ask your Surgeon what to expect and do NOT expect to be stretch mark free after any surgery procedure.
Preliminary Checklist for Suitable Candidates for Tummy Tuck Surgery
A Tummy Tuck may be a good option for you if:
- You are at a stable weight
- You are a non-smoker OR are prepared to permanently give up smoking months in advance of your Surgery
- You hold realistic expectations about what Surgery can achieve and know what it can’t achieve
- You are physically fit and healthy with good nutritional uptake and regular exercise routines
The desired outcome of a tummy tuck procedure is that that results are permanent or at least long lasting, but part of this will depend on you maintaining your fitness level and your weight.
However, these results may be significantly reduced if your body goes through large weight fluctuations following surgery, or if you are considering having children in the future.
Women who are planning future pregnancies are advised to delay their Abdominoplasty surgery.
Hormonal changes after menopause may also have some impact, but a good surgical outcome is often long-lasting and maintained for years to come.
Choose from FIVE of Melbourne’s leading experienced Plastic Surgeons for your Tummy Tuck procedure.
Our Specialist Plastic & Cosmetic Surgeons for Tummy Tuck Surgery include (L to R) Dr Craig Rubinstein, Dr Douglas McManamny, Dr Geoff Barnett, Dr Tom Robbins, and Dr Richard Maxwell, who are also Breast Surgery Specialists.
Are you wanting an excellent Tummy Tuck Plastic Surgeon who will help to get you excellent surgical results?
You’ll be glad to know our elite team of Plastic Surgeons are known for:
- extensive experience in abdominoplasty surgeries
- high-precision surgical skills
- fully customised surgical planning
- the latest in post-op recovery methods
- scar minimisation using Fraxel treatments and Rapid Recovery packages included with your procedure
- no-drain procedures for most patients
Our highly skilled Plastic Surgeons operate at accredited major hospitals in Melbourne to assist patient’s in providing optimal care.
They use only experienced Anaesthetists and a top Surgical Support Team for best practice Tummy Tuck procedures.
Making your Tummy Tuck Decision
The decision to undergo an abdominoplasty procedure is a personal one.
You’ll also feel more comfortable and relax about your Surgery knowing you’re in the excellent care of our leading team of Plastic Surgeons, who are devoted to precision techniques, and who have decades of expertise in getting quality surgery results.
Different Types of Tummy Tuck Surgery
Full Tummy Tuck, Lower Tummy Tuck, Upper Tummy Tuck and Mini-Tummy Tuck
Here are some of your potential options:
- Mini Tummy Tuck – just a small wedge of your tummy skin is tightened
- Lower Tummy Tuck – your lower tummy skin is tightened and muscles are repaired
- Upper Tummy Tuck – your upper tummy skin is tightened and muscles are repaired
- Full Tummy Tuck – Full tightening and flattening of your stomach and complte repair of your underlying stomach muscles
The Full Tummy Tuck Surgery Procedure
Medications and general anaesthesia are administered for your comfort during tummy tuck surgery.
A full tummy tuck procedure requires a horizontally-oriented incision in the area between the pubic hairline and navel. The shape and length of the incision will be determined by the degree of correction necessary. A second incision around the navel may be necessary to remove excess skin in the upper abdomen. Skin is separated from the abdominal wall and all the way up to the ribs. The surgeon then draws the underlying muscle and tissue together and stitches them. This will narrow the waistline and strengthen the abdominal wall. Abdominal skin is drawn down and any excess skin is removed. A new opening is cut for the navel.
Closing the incisions
Sutures, skin adhesives, tapes or clips close the skin incisions.
See the results
Your tummy tuck procedure will result in a flatter, firmer abdominal contour that is more proportionate with your body type and weight.
The final results may be initially obscured by swelling and your inability to stand fully upright until internal healing is complete. Within a week or two, you should be standing tall and confident about your new slimmer profile.
Brazilian Abdominoplasty or ‘Suction Assisted Abdominoplasty’ (Tummy Tuck)
A Suction Assisted Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) is a procedure that:
- Removes loose skin from the abdomen (tummy)
- Tightens the abdominal muscles
- Smoothes out localized fat bulges
Thus creating a tummy that is tighter, flatter, more contoured and shapely
It is a well accepted procedure commonly sought by those who:
- Have had one or more pregnancies
- Lost weight through diet and/or exercise
- Lost weight through Bariatric surgery
Most of our surgeons can use a technique that safely incorporates liposuction to the upper abdomen, resulting in a more shapely, curvaceous tummy that more closely resembles the tummy prior to pregnancy.
See Before and After Images of Tummy Tuck / Abdominoplasty
Visit our Tummy Tuck before and after photos of some of our Abdominoplasty surgery patients.
Tummy Tuck Recovery Tips
The key to a smooth recovery after surgery is planning and support. Before your surgery, a specialist Nurse Advisor will develop a recovery plan with you. It will cover issues like caring for children, your return to work, follow up visits and a full set of patient information. By planning ahead and keeping you fully informed we can help make your recovery much smoother.
Our approach to recovery is simple. We do whatever we can to get you back to your normal life as soon as possible.
After you leave hospital we will not charge extra for follow up visits, extra after care, laser treatments, nutritional supplements or anything else we provide during your recovery and after care. Sometimes patients need extra services we don’t provide, like radiology. If that happens we do our best to minimise or eliminate out of pocket costs. Your Nurse Advisor can give you more information.
* Generally patients require 2-3 nights’ hospital stay. We use top tier private hospitals for all our patients. They offer the highest level of medical support during the all-important early recovery phase.
* Your Surgeon will visit you the day after your surgery to check on your progress. If you need more support your Surgeon will be there for any many follow up visits as you need. Our surgeons pride themselves on being available for you.
* You will also receive a follow up visit from an experienced, specialist nurse from our rooms. You will receive further visits from our practice Nursing staff if you need more support
* You will experience some discomfort with swelling and tightness for several days. Laughter, coughing and getting out of bed will all be uncomfortable at first. Modern pain control techniques are very good and in many cases the discomfort is minimal.
* We will also provide you with an after surgery recovery pack that includes non-soap body wash and a range of very high quality bath products to use in hospital and during recovery.
* Where appropriate we offer free compression garments for our abdominoplasty patients. Generally if they are required they are worn for about six weeks.
* Everyone is different. Allow yourself 2-3 weeks off work.
* Medical certificates are available during your recovery period. If you have a really strenuous job you might need longer. We do everything we can to get you back to work as soon we can but going back before you are ready will delay full recovery. During your follow up visits your Nurse Advisor will monitor your progress
* Heavy or strenuous physical activity must be avoided for 1-2 months after your surgery. You can do light exercise during this time, but you will need to take care of how and when you do it. Our practice nurses can give you detailed advice.
* If you have young children our practice nurses can make some suggestions on how to manage looking after them during recovery. A little bit of planning goes a long way.
* You can drive at 2-3 weeks when traffic conditions are safe and when you feel comfortable.
* Your review appointments with your surgeon will be organised at one week, 6 months and 12 months post-surgery. If you need more support during recovery we offer a range of options including unlimited additional follow up visits with your practice nurse or Surgeon
* All patients receive a course of Fraxel laser scar treatment as part of their after care. There is no additional charge. These appointments also allow extra opportunities for you to seek advice and speak to a Practice Nurse.
The decision to have tummy tuck surgery is extremely personal and you’ll have to decide if the benefits will achieve your goals and if the risks and potential complications are acceptable. Your Surgeon will explain in detail the risks associated with the surgery and will then answer any questions and concerns that you may have. You will be asked to sign consent forms to ensure that you fully understand the procedure you will undergo and any risks or potential complications.
General Anaesthesia – Most healthy patients respond well to general anaesthesia as modern techniques are very safe. Our team will provide you with the details of your anaesthetists prior to your surgery to discuss any specific concerns.
Bleeding (Haematoma) – This may require a visit to the operating theatre to remove the blood clot.
Infection – Your Surgeon will prescribe you with antibiotics and monitor you closely.
Delayed Wound Healing – Your Surgeon and Nurse advisor will manage the healing process. This usually occurs within patients who are overweight, smokers or who have an infection.
Deep Vein Thrombosis
Fluid build-up (Seroma)
Scarring – (every effort is made to place the scar within the areas covered by high cut swimwear or underwear). Initially there is almost always some contour issues or puckers. These settle over the months but sometimes may require a small revision often under local anaesthetic. Scars continue to mature and improve for up to 18 months after surgery. Stretch marks may not all be removed or new ones may be created. You will receive 3 Fraxel Laser treatments approximately 8 weeks post-surgery to manage and improve scarring with our Dermal Clinician.
Numbness – This will occur 100% of the time and mostly settles over the months and up to 1-2 years.
Asymmetry – There may be irregular ridges and crease to both sides. Scars may be slightly different on your right compared to you left side.
Umbilical Malposition/Loss – This is a very rare complication and may require further surgery.
Pain – This will be managed appropriately with pain medications and prompt aftercare.
All successful surgery outcomes are the result of realistic expectations of the patient, realistic surgical goals and the knowledge of possible risks and complications. Nothing is ever guaranteed in science and medicine. Risks are minimised through careful patient screening and planning, high standards of surgical training, meticulous surgical technique and vigilant post-operative care. Small, less serious issues are common and every effort is made to resolve them quickly. These rarely have long term effect on an excellent final result.
Our approach to recovery is simple. We do whatever we can to get you back to your normal life as soon as possible.
Our team is dedicated to keeping you as comfortable as possible during your pre-op sessions, your surgical procedure and your post-operative healing period. It is important that you follow your Surgeon’s post-op instructions and allow yourself adequate down time to heal.
All surgeries will tend to involve some degrees of pain. Everyone, however, is different in how they experience pain. It is a bit difficult to predict exactly how much pain you will personally experience after your surgery because there are so many variables. We offer patients DRAIN FREE procedures, which often means less pain during recovery.
We also supply post-op healing goodies in your “Science & Love” Rapid Recovery healing package, which includes products proven to accelerate your healing and recovery. If you have surgery with one of our leading Melbourne Surgeons, you’ll also get a FREE Healite II session, an award winning technology that facilitates healing and helps rejuvenate the skin.
If you’re concerned about pain, then please discuss your pain management needs with your Surgeon during your initial consultation and with your Surgeon or his Surgical Nurse or Patient Care Coordinator duringthe post-operative period so that we can help minimise your post-operative surgery pain.
Support for Overseas Surgery & Interstate Plastic Surgery Patients
Please visit our Interstate & Overseas Surgery Patient page to find out how Our Surgeons may be able to help you.
We also offer Revisional Surgery for ‘botched’ surgery including “medical tourism” procedures. But we like to see Patients get the results they are after in their FIRST surgery experience, not a second Revisional surgery. Read more on the dangers of cheap medical tourism or discounted cosmetic surgery procedures.
NEXT STEPS on your Surgical Journey
Visit our FAQs pages, learn more about your procedure, have a look at our photo galleries and patient reviews.
How to Book your Initial Consultation
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1400 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the $200 consultation fee
What to Bring to your Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- You may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
Want more information before scheduling your Surgeon consultation?
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
- Organise a phone call with Patient Advisor (FREE)
- Attend our Regular Practice EVENTS and hear from our of Plastic Surgeons and their top support team (FREE)
- Organise a Skype call consultation with a Surgeon (available for Interstate patients)
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – call or contact us
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with one of our expert Specialist Plastic Surgeons or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.
Send a Confidential Enquiry form today. Or phone us during business hours on (03) 8849 1444 and ask for one of our Patient Care Advisors (Michelle or Donna).
Our Surgeons’ affiliations include:
Finance and Payment Plans for Tummy Tuck
Visit our payment and finance pages to learn more about your Surgery Funding Options. Download a FINANCE OPTIONS sheet by clicking here.