Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Surgery is very helpful for women who’ve had damage to their abdominal region after pregnancy, childbirth or other abdominal area traumas. It can also help anyone who’s lost skin firmness after significant weight loss or who have passed through menopause and find they have sagging belly skin that hangs over their underwear or belt area. It’s not simply the removal of the abdominal apron – it’s a full reconstruction of the damaged core ab muscles (a condition known as Diastasis Recti) and a shaping of the waist and belly area to get the “flat look” tummy.
What can a Tummy Tuck by our Melbourne team accomplish for your post-baby body?
Smoother, flatter and firmer abs CAN be yours after pregnancy or weight loss. But where there is excess, sagging skin or residual bulges of fat and skin folds, you may need a Tummy Tuck, Diastasis Recti Repair and body contouring liposuction to get the flatter tummy that you’re wanting. It’s a serious surgical procedure and should not be taken lightly; but many women have this surgery and tell us afterwards that it is “absolutely life changing” in many ways. (Search our Top Ranked Cosmetic Surgery BLOG for stories about Tummy Tuck experiences including Diastasis Recti repair Plastic Surgery after birthing big babies – or even twins!)
Get a Flatter Tummy and Firmer Abs with Abdominoplasty Procedures
A Tummy Tuck by a Specialist Surgeon for Abdominoplasty is not, however, intended as a replacement for exercise and healthy eating.
- It simply helps reshape the body where exercise and diet have failed to yield results.
- And it improves CORE function in terms of a stronger abdominal area – helping reduce back pain or mild urinary incontinence for many women who elect to have the Tummy Tuck surgery.
- Tummy Tuck surgery by a Specialist who is an expert at Abdominal Muscle Repair Surgery can repair diastasis recti (torn abs) caused by carrying large babies or twins (as in the BEFORE & AFTER photo below).
Are you a good candidate for a Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Procedure?
If you’re on this page, changes are you are concerned about :
- excess, baggy skin hanging around your tummy area
- lax abdominal muscles after pregnancy
- a protruding belly that lacks a defined or feminine waistline (the “square” or “bulging” look)
- a bulging ‘stomach apron’
- stubborn fat and saggy skin tissue around the belt area (or a ‘muffin top’ look)
- an indistinguishable waistline or protruding stomach that leads some people to ask if you’re still expecting (we know, it’s incredibly insensitive – but it does happen as a post-baby body sometimes still looks pregnant for years to come)
DRAIN-FREE precision contouring Tummy Tuck procedures
Our Team aims for drain-free surgery to improve your comfort when you are a good candidate for this technique. Most of our Team also add contouring liposuction to get you an amazing, firmer looking waist and flatter belly.
Our leading Plastic Surgeons for Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Surgery in Melbourne are experts in body shaping Abdominoplasty surgeries for women and men.
Planning for a Tummy Tuck
Whilst Body Contouring surgery requires planning and adequate healing time, it is sometimes the only solution to reduce the excess skin folds that remain after body changes from pregnancy or weight loss.
Phone us on (03) 8849 1444 to start your surgery planning process. We can give you tips, send you the Ultimate Guide to Tummy Tuck Surgery, or help you choose one of Melbourne’s leading Tummy Tuck Surgeons in Hawthorn, Berwick or Williamstown.
Based on your health, weight, tummy concerns, communication style preferences, personality and preferred surgery date, we can help you select the best Surgeon to meet your needs. We only have SENIOR and highly experienced Specialist Plastic Surgeons in our Clinic and you can relax knowing you’ve chosen a skilled Plastic Cosmetic Surgery Team that does NOT take shortcuts.
Our team operates in accredited Hospitals to maximise sterilisation and safety and minimise your surgery risks. Just remember to keep your expectations realistic, to follow your Surgeon’s advice to prepare for surgery and recover from surgery, and trust our Surgeons and Skin Care team to help you reduce your scars. (You will have scars after a Tummy Tuck but they are often placed under the belt line or underwear waist band so as to be less revealing in most forms of clothing. WE also offer scar reduction treatments – ALL included in your surgery. Ask us for a quote by meeting with one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons in Melbourne.
Do I NEED a Tummy Tuck? Will exercise and diet work instead?
Exercise and nutrition are incredibly important parts of maintaining a healthy, firm looking body.
But they can only do so much – and you cannot exercise skin. Once it is stretched out or saggy, it doesn’t tend to ‘bounce back’. If you have torn abs, they also may not heal properly and there may be a gap in the ab muscles that leads to an unsightly or uncomfortable belly bulge.
Body reshaping surgeries, on their own or with added liposuction, are sometimes necessary to get a flatter looking tummy after:
- weight fluctuations
- prior abdominal surgery that failed to repair stomach muscles
- prior surgery such as an Apronectomy that failed to reduce all skin folds or sufficient fat
- hernias/ abdominal hernias
- Bariatric surgery that has resulted in residual skin folds once the majority of the excess weight was released
A Tummy Tuck | Melbourne can help you regain a flatter, firmer figure – it works BEST on individuals who are at a stable, ideal weight.
It can also help people who lost weight after Bariatric Surgery such as a Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Bypass, Gastric Balloon or other gastric weight loss surgery performed by a Specialist Bariatric Surgeon.
Some of our Surgeons, however, focus on post-bariatric surgery and post-weight loss body contouring.
This is known as a “body lift” and may involve a Belt Lipectomy type of extended Abdominoplasty, shown above by Dr Richard Maxwell and below by Dr Douglas McManamny. Dr Geoff Barnett, Dr Richard Maxwell and Dr Douglas McManamny all work with post-weight loss patients for body lift procedures.
Dr Barnett & Dr Maxwell have also dedicated a large part of their practice to helping Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery patients get their normal body contours back by reducing skin folds. You can schedule a caring, confidential no-obligation consultation with one of our Team’s top Tummy Tuck Surgeons by phoning (03) 8849 1444 today. We even have EVENTS you can attend to hear from our team of surgeons. Ask a Patient Coordinator for details.
Our Promise: Custom Surgery in an accredited Hospital to maximise your safety – with the aim of minimising your Abdominoplasty “Tummy Tuck” scars with help from our Scar Reduction team of Dermal Clinicians.
There are several types of Tummy Tucks as explained in our downloadable guide. Phone us today on (03) 8849 1444 if you are wanting to explore the best surgery option for you to have to gain (or regain):
- flatter stomach contours
- smoother, tighter belly skin
- a curvier, natural looking waistline and taught looking tummy (less saggy skin)
- a more attractive and natural-looking naval area (custom belly buttons are an option if you want to improve the shape or appearance of the naval area)
What you can expect after you heal from a well-done Tummy Tuck (but you must follow all post-surgery advice and allow adequate time to heal):
- more choices in swimwear, lingerie and other fashions
- desire to wear more form fitting clothing again instead of hiding out in baggy outfits
- improvement in body confidence and, often, better posture
- a restored sense of femininity
- greater abdominal muscle control (which can help improve bladder weakness)
Why do so many people get Tummy Tucks?
- Having excess, saggy skin and a ‘stomach apron’ can feel deflating for some Mums, especially women who prided themselves on keeping fit before and during their pregnancy.
- Many women blog (in community forums) that they feel a renewed sense of body confidence or femininity – even a restored sense of feminine sexiness – after they get their stomachs ‘back in shape’ again
- Mild urinary incontinence and split abs (torn abs) can lead to mild urinary incontinence and back pain; sometimes these are greatly assisted by an Abdominoplasty surgery that includes Diastasis Recti surgical repair
Repair the POST BABY Belly Bulge with Abdominoplasty Surgery In Melbourne
Read our Patient experience stories on our Blog or ask our Patient Care Coordinators to put you in touch with a patient(s) who’s had the procedure and is happy to share their experience with you.
Our Surgeons are also happy to answer your questions in either a private consultation OR at one of our special Practice Events (FREE attendance but reservations are required).
There are different types of Tummy Tuck procedures.
Your Surgeon will help you assess which procedure can get you the best outcomes to meet your concerns about your abdominal area.
Ask us about HEALITE II and FRAXEL options to get an even smoother surgery result or less visible scar after surgery.
Why our TEAM believes we are a GOOD choice as your Surgical Team:
- Most patients want their Tummy Tuck surgery done without the use of uncomfortable surgical drains
- Our Surgeons have advanced and precise tummy tuck techniques that permit “DRAIN FREE” Tummy Tuck surgery for most patients
- Most patients want minimal scarring where this is possible
- Our Surgeons always strive to get you the minimal possible scarring
- Our Melbourne Plastic Surgeons offer FREE treatments for scar minimisation during the Tummy Tuck follow up care period
- As one of Australia’s top group of leading FRACS qualified Specialist Surgeons, we have advanced equipment to treat scars and refine bulges that smaller groups simply DO not have access to.
Have you been searching for the best Tummy Tuck Surgery team in Melbourne? Come see us and find out why we are DIFFERENT.
What sets us apart is our dedication to patient care excellence AND to getting a refined, smoothly contoured result with minimal scars.
Patient results can vary from patient to patient but we fully customise the surgery to suit YOUR body’s needs. You won’t be getting a cheap cookie cutter Apronectomy with our team – you’ll get the highest level of care for body contouring of the belly and navel area.
Our Surgeon’s regularly perform NO DRAIN procedures for Tummy Tucks as well as Breast Lifts and other Body and Breast Contouring Surgeries.
Why DRAIN-FREE procedures for Tummy Tucks
- Drain free surgery procedures not only help with post-surgical healing and recovery processes, we understand that Abdominoplasty drains are often very uncomfortable for patients.
- It is also a risk that drains themselves can be the source site for infections.
So where ever possible, NO DRAIN procedures are used and our Team of Surgeons are experts at procedures to help you get the best surgical results from Abdominoplasty (including minimisation of scars using Fraxel).
The Mummy Makeover Option for Cosmetic Surgery After Pregnancy
Breast & Tummy Surgery Combinations
- Many women who want a Tummy Tuck procedure have also become a bit unhappy about what pregnancy, breast-feeding or gravity has done to their breasts.
- They may have droopy breasts or breasts that have lost their shape and firmness.
- Or they may have breasts which lack attractive cleavage, with nipples pointing downwards.
This can result in empty-looking breast tissue or sagging breast skin, and leave women looking a lot older than they actually are.
Drooping breasts come in varying degrees.
Fortunately, there are excellent solutions to help re-position and reshape the breasts and nipples that are drooping severely.
Combined Procedure Options to treat sagging Breast Tissue and Stomach Skin
If you’re concerned about breasts and tummy changes after pregnancy, a combined Breast Lift (with or without augmentation or reduction) with Abdominoplasty can help.
These combined procedures are often referred to as a “Mummy Makeover” surgery procedure.
This may involve a series of sequential surgeries to help you get the specific body-makeover look you’re wanting after having children.
Surgical outcomes can vary significantly from patient to patient. Our Disclaimer page has additional information.
Expectations about Tummy Tuck Melbourne Surgery Options: What to Consider Before Surgery
Be sure to discuss your expectations – including what you believe would be the best result for your surgery – with your Surgeon, who can help you assess whether your surgery expectations are:
(a) achievable through Surgery
(b) realistic for your body shape, fitness levels or overall physique
(c) the best option in comparison with other types of procedures (such as a a Circumferential Abdominoplasty)
And we welcome you to arrange a chat with a Patient Care Coordinator if you want your preliminary questions answered, before booking a confidential consultation with one of our leading Body Surgery Specialists for a Mummy Makeover procedures.
Our Specialist Plastic Surgeons are leading Breast Specialist Plastic Surgeons on our team as well as experts in Tummy Tuck procedures and Mummy Makeovers.
One of our leading Surgeons who particularly specialises in combined ‘Mummy Makeover’ Surgeries for Tummy & Breasts for Mums are:
If you’re not sure which Specialist Plastic Surgeon to select, a Patient Care Coordinator can help answer your questions and help you decide which particular Surgeon will best suit your physique concerns, communication style, preferred procedures and overall appearance goals.
Rejuvenate your Overall Appearance with Facial Enhancement and Body Shaping Options
Do you want skin rejuvenation to complement your makeover surgery or Tummy Tuck?
- This team also helps to minimise any post-surgical scarring from the surgical incisions (which for Tummy Tucks, is often positioned so as to be able to be hidden under the bikini line or undergarment area)
- We offer scar minimisation INCLUDED at no extra charge as part of your post-op healing care in Melbourne).
Call our Specialist Surgery Teams if you are concerned about abdominal muscle damage or belly bulges – phone us on (03) 8849 1444 today.
We are here to help you get your BODY BACK if you experience any of the following and are in good health and at a stable weight.
- You miss having a defined waist contour and you’re generally fit and healthy – but exercise doesn’t seem to make much difference in your belly area
- You want your waist to be smaller than your hips
- You want to reduce the tummy-pouch appearance of a bulging post-pregnancy or post-menopausal belly
- You want to reduce loose, baggy-looking stomach skin folds after weight change
- You have a stable weight, are a non-smoker and are in generally good health
- You care about improving your appearance and want to get your body-confidence back again after becoming a Mum
Common benefits of Abdominoplasty procedures – Waist Changes and Ratios
- provides balanced waist-to-hip ratios and restores feminine curves
- repairs abdominal muscle separation (damage) during pregnancy or childbirth
- reduces excess fat and loose skin folds such as often occur after weight loss or post-pregnancy
- reduces the overhanging stomach apron
- restores a more smoother, tighter tummy and restores body-confidence
- more freedom to wear different fashion styles
- less likely to hide behind baggy or daggy-looking loose clothing
Has post-pregnancy resulted in being unhappy with your body? It’s not uncommon.
We can help.
- Sad or depressed about your changed physique?
- Embarrassed about having a ‘muffin top’?
- Feeling you look less feminine with a flabby tummy and no defined waistline?
- Dreading summer or having to buy looser clothes?
- Not wanting to go to the beach?
A Tummy Tuck can help you get your body – and body confidence – back again.
What is the Scar like after a Tummy Tuck?
Tummy Tuck Scars are somewhat extensive but they are strategically placed. They can also be treated to minimise the scar appearance.
You’ll want to follow your Surgeon’s instructions after surgery PRECISELY to avoid scar expansion.
The scars will last a lifetime, but tend to fade a lot over the first 12 months of surgery. Incision line healing is also helped by special skin care treatments we offer our Tummy Tuck patients after their Abdominoplasty procedures. It is, however, very important to have realistic expectations about surgery outcomes as well as surgical risks, both of which will depend partially on:
- your overall health,
- your skin and BMI,
- the extent of the damage to your abdominal muscles and
- other factors that can influence your surgery and healing process
- your genetics in terms of recovery and scarring
Your outcome may also be influenced by whether or not you follow your Surgeon’s post-op instructions closely, such as Rapid Recovery protocls and your wearing of the right support garments for the designated period of time. It also helps to follow a nutritionally-healthy eating plan and to keep your weight stable after your surgery.
Our Surgeons are extremely dedicated to helping you to get a flatter, firmer and contoured abdominal area (waistline) and remove the excess skin folds and stubborn fat from your Tummy Area, so that you feel great about your body again after having children.
What Tummy Tucks Won’t Do For Your Body
A Tummy Tuck surgery is NOT an alternative to weight loss or to exercise.
- If you are still carrying a lot of excess weight, you may not be an ideal candidate for a Tummy Tuck yet.
- Our Surgeons can still help guide you in the best preparation for a Tummy Tuck surgery so you can get the best result when you are ready for your procedure.
- The best preparation for a Tummy Tuck surgery usually involves healthy nutritional intake, a healthy lifestyle, regular exercise and sufficient water intake.
- If you have had gastric banding surgery, our Body Lift Surgery experts can further assist you in preparing for your body lift surgery procedures including Tummy Tuck surgery.
When a Tummy Tuck might not suit you
If you are not wanting (or unable) to maintain a stable weight after a Tummy Tuck, then this procedure may not suit your long-term aims.
It is also not a good procedure for people who are smoking or who plan to have additional children over the next few years.
A Tummy Tuck is best performed by your Plastic Surgeon AFTER you have finished having your children.
If you want to learn more about a Tummy Tuck procedure and what it can help you achieve, send a Confidential enquiry form or phone us on (03) 8849 1444. You can also read more about Tummy Tuck procedures on the procedures pages – or ask us for our Ultimate Guide to Tummy Tuck Surgery.
You are also welcome to attend one of our Free Events to meet our Surgeons and learn more about getting ready for your Tummy Tuck procedure.
Support for Overseas Surgery & Interstate Plastic Surgery Patients
Please visit our Interstate & Overseas Surgery Patient page to find out how Our Surgeons may be able to help you.
- We also offer Revisional Surgery for ‘botched’ surgery including “medical tourism” procedures.
- But we like to see Patients get the results they are after in their FIRST surgery experience, not a second Revisional surgery. Read more on the dangers of cheap medical tourism or discounted cosmetic surgery procedures.
NEXT STEPS on your Exploration of Surgery for Your Abdominal Area or Belly Bulge
Visit our FAQs pages, learn more about your procedure, have a look at our photo galleries and patient reviews.
How to Book your Initial Consultation
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1444 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Schedule a confidential consultation with your selected Specialist Surgeon by paying the $200 booking fee.
What to Bring to your Tummy Tuck Surgery Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- You may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
Want more information before scheduling your no-obligation consultation?
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
- Organise a phone call with Patient Coordinator (FREE)
- Attend our Regular Practice EVENTS and hear from our of Plastic Surgeons and their top support team (FREE)
- Organise a Skype call consultation with a Surgeon (available for Interstate patients)
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – call or contact us
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with one of our expert Specialist Plastic Surgeons or to speak with our Patient Care Coordinator.
Send a Confidential Enquiry form today. Or phone us during business hours on (03) 8849 1444 and ask for one of our Patient Care Coordinators (Michelle or Donna).
Payment methods your Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Surgery.
There are a number of payment methods options available – please read our Surgery Payment Methods page to find the best option for you.
You’ll be in Great hands – as our Surgeons’ affiliations include: